ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,875
I Went yesterday to Prescott with my family, to pay respect for the fallen FF , I made a small donation (like Reidy said I don't know if the money do go and how much of it to the families), but oh well I hope for the best use of this money.
Waiting for the convoy to arrive. I'll tell you it was real emotional moment for all. Thousands of people rounding up the street and it was so quiet u can hear a pin drop.

The convoy of their bodies.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,774
Having just finished watching the memorial service I will henceforth, when I ride out from my garage at dawn through the surrounding forest in Prescott & beyond, always remember & never forget or take for granted what I have & what men such as these make possible for this 72 year old guy to enjoy. Thanks to those past & present for your sacrifice & for looking after our land & those who live in it. Prescott 19 forever in my heart & mind.

AZ TOM screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 05:55 PM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Having just finished watching the memorial service I will henceforth, when I ride out from my garage at dawn through the surrounding forest in Prescott & beyond, always remember & never forget or take for granted what I have & what men such as these make possible for this 72 year old guy to enjoy. Thank to those past & present for your sacrifice & for looking after our land & those who live in it. Prescott 19 forever in my heart & mind.
+1
Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
...... and it was so quiet u can hear a pin drop......
I didn't go to the procession, but over the weekend I went to the memorial at their station 3 times and the silence was one of the most striking things I noticed. It was eerie and impressive and awesome all at the same time how the space around that memorial was devoid of sound.....emotionally moving doesn't even begin to describe it.
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
You are completely wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Not to be a downer but you should ask questions as to how much of the money is going to the families. Proceeds means after the costs are removed and that is the number you need to know. The Red Cross as great an orginization as it is gets about 4% of the money they are donated to the people who need it and the rest goes to operating costs. Another example is the Live Strong bands that Lance Armstrong pushed... not one cent went to any charity.... they say it is for awareness..... but no one buying one was told that.

I try to give where I can as many people do however it can be surprising how many terrible situation are taken advantage of by people taking things or money they shouldn't.

Just my 2 cents... feel free to call me names if you choose.
About the Red Cross. If you donated your 2 cents to them 1.84 of it would go the people they help.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,074
I am normally wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
About the Red Cross. If you donated your 2 cents to them 1.84 of it would go the people they help.
You maybe right I don't have access to the finacial statments to know for sure however I think your off on cash donations verses goods. Giving clothing, food and other resources gets 100% to the people who need it however cash does not work this way as the cost of running this organization is high. I am greatful the Red Cross is what it is and they do incredible things but my support for them is always material and not finacial.

I don't want to get into who's right or wrong I was simply trying to point out that when I am donating cash to those that need it I try to make sure as much of it as possible goes to the people that need it. This is a time for us to help where we can and being sure someone isn't taking of advantage of the situation was my only real point.
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #22
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hopefully we can keep this thread just about the Prescott 19 & getting & displaying a $5 decal on our bikes to show our support & take who's right or wrong down below to another place. Just my 2 cents?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #23
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
You're right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Hopefully we can keep this thread just about the Prescott 19 & getting & displaying a $5 decal on our bikes to show our support & take who's right or wrong down below to another place. Just my 2 cents?
Decals are in the mail and a donation to The Arizona 100 club has already been made. I'd urge anyone that has ever enjoyed the forest to donate as much as they're comfortable with to help the families and survivors of this terrible tragedy. A fire crew saved my life once upon a time, the value of their service, their dedication and their courage can't be overstated.

My comments about the Red Cross were simply meant to correct a rather glaring error about how they spend donations.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks John E for your support
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
rattlecan
Caffeine Driven

Oddometer: 1,508
Just got back from Eric Marsh's funeral and I was fortunate to attend the memorial yesterday at Tim's Toyota Center. I have never seen such a well organized heartfelt tribute in my life. Makes me proud to be from Prescott and gives me a new appreciation for what the Forest service, firefighters and land management does so we have a place to enjoy.
I hope people don't get so worried of being ripped off that they're afraid to help.
rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlecan View Post
Just got back from Eric Marsh's funeral and I was fortunate to attend the memorial yesterday at Tim's Toyota Center. I have never seen such a well organized heartfelt tribute in my life. Makes me proud to be from Prescott and gives me a new appreciation for what the Forest service, firefighters and land management does so we have a place to enjoy.
I hope people don't get so worried of being ripped off that they're afraid to help.
Thanks Bob. Paranoia/fear will also shorten your life Also very proud of all people, here & elsewhere, & their support since this tragedy. PS decals looking great on my bikes.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,074
Donation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlecan View Post
Bob, I think you know me a little bit so hopefully you know it's not my goal to scare people away from helping nor am I worried about being ripped off. I do worry that others maybe taken advantage of though.

I am very fortunate to be working with others and we have committed to not only raise a minimum of $25,000.00 but we are also going to match what ever funds are raised with another $25,000.00 as well.

This money will be going to the Arizona 100 club and distributed to the families of the brave 19. If anyone wants to be involved in this please let me know.
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #28
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bob, I think you know me a little bit so hopefully you know it's not my goal to scare people away from helping nor am I worried about being ripped off. I do worry that others maybe taken advantage of though.

I am very fortunate to be working with others and we have committed to not only raise a minimum of $25,000.00 but we are also going to match what ever funds are raised with another $25,000.00 as well.

This money will be going to the Arizona 100 club and distributed to the families of the brave 19. If anyone wants to be involved in this please let me know.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
rattlecan
Caffeine Driven

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:

Awesome Reidy! Too bad there's a bunch of creeps out there that we need to watch out for. Good on ya mate!
rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #30
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:

Drew, that is awesome................count me in to help.