Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
MikeinEugene OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
What's the latest in streaming internet things to my TV?

I have a HTPC that's on its last legs. Video card overheats, even with additional cooling, after a few hours. I have an old desktop pc across the family room. I'd like to replace both of them with a desktop that can stream to an appliance connected to my TV (or maybe direct to the tv )

Is there such a device?

The htpc has a 3tb external drive hooked to it with lots of ripped (from our own) dvd movies. It's also a full-blown PC that can stream from Amazon/Netflix/espn.com/redtube via Firefox/IE/Chrome etc.

I'd like to keep all the functionality of my htpc & desktop in one pc & one appliance.

Ideas? I'm off to Newegg to price piecesparts for a new machine & will do some googling on appliances but initial hits are mostly Apple TV stuff which does not do all I need it to as far as I know.
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinEugene View Post
I have a HTPC that's on its last legs. Video card overheats, even with additional cooling, after a few hours. I have an old desktop pc across the family room. I'd like to replace both of them with a desktop that can stream to an appliance connected to my TV (or maybe direct to the tv )

Is there such a device?

The htpc has a 3tb external drive hooked to it with lots of ripped (from our own) dvd movies. It's also a full-blown PC that can stream from Amazon/Netflix/espn.com/redtube via Firefox/IE/Chrome etc.

I'd like to keep all the functionality of my htpc & desktop in one pc & one appliance.

Ideas? I'm off to Newegg to price piecesparts for a new machine & will do some googling on appliances but initial hits are mostly Apple TV stuff which does not do all I need it to as far as I know.
You've opened a Pandora's box. There is so much software out there which will turn your Mac or PC into a Apple TV or general streaming gateway including proxying content from other regions.

Start with a whether you want a PC or Mac and we can go from there.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinEugene View Post
The htpc has a 3tb external drive hooked to it with lots of ripped (from our own) dvd movies...
Just a question. Why do people rip DVDs they own and store them on hard discs? Not being snarky, just curious as I see this a lot.

TIA,
Eric
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,551
The one appliance that can stream stuff - videos, music, etc. - from your PC/NAS/SAN/Other to your TV is a Boxee Box. The old school one that they no longer make not the newer one. I've purchased several of them one I am using and the others are for backup for the time when the current one dies. I would be lost without it now.

Apple TV is one of the other appliances which I have no experience with and so is a Roku box. The Roku box is very popular and if you are only going to be watching Netflix, Amazon videos and other things this is probably the best right now.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
MikeinEugene OP
Beastly Adventurer

That boxee device looks interesting. Have to do some more reading up on it.

For Eric:
I prefer to have the DVDs in a hard drive library for ease of viewing later and in case the disk ever gets damaged (lot less likely now that the kid is grown I suppose )
Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,025
I have the Apple TV box. It cost about 100 bucks and works well. It would be better with a bluetooth keyboard. The search isn't the best with just the remote.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Just a question. Why do people rip DVDs they own and store them on hard discs? Not being snarky, just curious as I see this a lot.

TIA,
Eric
Usually for posterity. DVD's suck for robustness just like a CD, which is another reason why people rip their CD to MP3 other than the ease of playing them on an MP3 player that is.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
HillbillyNinja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:

TIA,
Eric

Because in a networked home, with several htpc's or media consumption devices, it's easier to have all your media in a central server location that a remote user can access.

Plus, once you rip the DVD, you can edit out all the BS previews and start the movie proper upon loading.

It also allows you to open the DVD packaging once, rip the movie, replace the DVD into the case and store in a secure location, never to be touched again.

Also, if you're lazy, it's much easier to find the movie you want to watch by doing a simple search on Movie Title than it is to rummage through DVD cases on a shelf.
“I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give.” -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,871
I am a fan of the Apple TV, $100 and you are done. If you have an ipad, it does mirroring, so whatever is on the ipad screen is on the TV, same goes for the iPhone or your Apple computer. That is all I need.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
MikeinEugene OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had initially ruled out a Raspberry Pi back in the beginning of time because it didn't do 1080p. It does now. Reading up on running XBMC on it now
Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
I like my Apple TV. But my TV and PS3s stream too...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
zoldar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
XBMC rocks. Plays any video format I have ever tried (even ISO DVD images). It's free!.... cross platform and has tons of cool add-ons.

zoldar screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 11:36 AM
zoldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Power of Soul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Apple App

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
I have the Apple TV box. It cost about 100 bucks and works well. It would be better with a bluetooth keyboard. The search isn't the best with just the remote.
There is an app out there just for that, so you can control you apple tv from your iphone or iPad. No need for wireless keyboard. Its call 'remote'
Power of Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,181
Quote:
I rip my DVDs to make backup disc's that my wife can watch in the truck when we go on long trips and also to help preserve the originals. In addition I can make mp4 copies to archive on a HD and put on my phone to watch if I want.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power of Soul View Post
There is an app out there just for that, so you can control you apple tv from your iphone or iPad. No need for wireless keyboard. Its call 'remote'
I have that app on my Android phone and Ipod, keep forgetting it is there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: