Old 07-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,079
My $0.02

Look for:

Wire spoke hubs - desirable
Original Mustang paint color? - most were blue or red
Sounds like it does not have the 289HiPro (it would have a 4bbl carb, different cam and lifters)
Check the springs/shocks, OEM springs were notoriously soft and weak
Check dash padding for cracks
60k on a rebuilt 289 is a lot, IMO, it may not have much life left in it.
Check front buckets for any cracks in the vinyl

$16k seems a bit high unless it is 90% or better.

I had a '65 hardtop (271 HP Windsor V8 engine/ 3 speed auto) that was the coolest car I ever owned. I rebuilt the engine at 105k then the auto-tran went south. Sold it while I was overseas with the US Army.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
To the OP...have you driven one of the "sports" cars of that era?

Understand it'll probably handle like a barge...
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Tell me, which ride, the 1965 or the 201X, is the Kinks "Sunny afternoon" going to sound better in?

On the perfect day, perfect road in a perfect example, the 65 is great.

If the temps rise above 57f, the tar isn't absolutely perfect and the radio is stock, the 2014!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #19
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,372
Well, since everybody has decided you should buy a new Mustang instead of what you want, have you thought about a fucking TDI? It will get better fuel economy and it will blah blah blah much better than the car you want.

Hey assholes no shit, it's a 48 year old American car, it's not going to drive like a new car but that's not a bad thing. Old cars are fun to drive, too. My guess is that if he wanted a new fucking car, he would have asked about a fucking new car.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,437
The roads were better and the music was better in 1965. Not sure where that leads one to, picking a 2013 Mustang?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #21
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,894
I appreciate the input and I'm gonna go check it out Tuesday. Pretty pumped and will post pics if I bring it home.

I know it will not drive as well as a new car but I am pulled to the character of old cars and like getting my hands dirty. Not afraid to and can do most everything except for setting the lask on rear diffs and doing the machine work on an engine.

I think I'll enjoy a new project - I just want to make sure it is a good foundation to work from.

Aftermarket support on these things is insane and parts are not that expensive compared to my other loves - the toyota land cruiser.

I'll report back and let ya'll know!

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

For every 20 '65-66 Mustang's you see you there are 15 coupes, 4.5 convertibles and 0.5 fastbacks, if that.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
Modena
Qwickie Mart

Oddometer: 139
I don't think that most of the people that responded to
your post get it? It's not a new car and it never will be
unless it's a resto mod with retro fit rack and pinion
four wheel disc brakes and A FI motor then it is
what it is ....an old car and that's how it will drive
it's a part of Mustang history (the original mustang)
It has seen allot a highway (if it could only talk)
I get it....
now what you need to do is get with the local
Mustang club find the guy that knows the early cars
And buy him lunch after he looks over the car!
Back to the original question 16 does not seem out of line
I have one and have had many in the past
with the back seat folded down you can pop
the trunk and open the rear access pannel and
carry 10 foot 2x4's home from the building supply
I know i have done this many times in the 70's

good luck finding your FB
Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #24
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
There are many vendors selling repro parts, probably almost enough to assemble a new car. So getting parts, patch panels, floors, etc. is not a problem except for cost

The early fastbacks are arguably the best looking model, and currently the most expensive. Good luck with your toy!
You can actually buy the whole body.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ford_models2.html

Truth is you can build an entire car from repro parts. I saw an article several years ago that put the price for a finished car at $31k with new parts and everything upgraded like 4 wheel disc brakes.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #25
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Ah,
I do miss the sound of a 289...4 inch bore and a very short stroke, vrum vrum vrum!

Check for the rust as mentioned and just buy the damn thing. It's not like you will lose any money on it.
I sold my '65 fastback in 1995 for 4,000 dollars. Do you think I wish I had just put it in a garage and left it until today? Hell yes, I wish I still had that car.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,022
I love, love, love my Mustang... a plain old '67 coupe (289 and C4) I bought for $1200 from the original owner in '88 when I was a 21-year-old Lance Corporal in the Marines (we're both '67 models).

I have been through the car from stem to stern, rebuilding and restoring everything, with the exception of the rear axle, which has been problem-free (I don't abuse the car, the 9-inch will probably outlive my grandchildren). Front suspension, engine, trans, driveshaft, body & paint, interior, disc brakes, shoulder belts, weatherstripping, etc. etc. etc. When I completed the interior in '94, I had the new car smell for a while, which is grand when buzzing around in a car the same age as you.

I have a ton of hobbies (dirt bikes, guns, martial arts, Jeeps, trucks, RV's, boats, house & yard), so I can go for quite a while without even firing up the Mustang, but it's one of very few items that I simply can't bear to part with. Lovely Wife knows better than to even suggest it, but others have mentioned that if I sold my Mustang I could afford to get this and that... Perish the though. I've had this car for more than half my life. She's a keeper.

Aftermarket and reproduction factory parts are readily available from a variety of sources. National Parts Depot catalogs are high-end Mustang p0rn.

Best of luck with your search and purchase.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 07:23 AM
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #27
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
BTW, 65 fastbacks are great looking cars, I do get it.

As one of the assholes to suggest a new one, I also stated "I get it" on the old ones. That friend I mentioned wasn't mechanical, nor aware of the limitations, care and mechanical appetite of a 1966 vert. He wanted a semi daily driver.

If I had room and $ to burn, there might be a 60s Fairlane or Galaxie under a barn roof somewhere, but I'd grab the keys to a 2014 Mustang 9.9 times out of ten. Even the base V6.

Go drive one, it's free to test! MSRP $22,000. And, unlike a TDI, it is still everything a Mustang should be.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Well, since everybody has decided you should buy a new Mustang instead of what you want, have you thought about a fucking TDI? It will get better fuel economy and it will blah blah blah much better than the car you want.

Hey assholes no shit, it's a 48 year old American car, it's not going to drive like a new car but that's not a bad thing. Old cars are fun to drive, too. My guess is that if he wanted a new fucking car, he would have asked about a fucking new car.

NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #29
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,241
It's a great car. My dad has a 65 4 barrell. Its fully restored.
True it will not drive like a new car but still alot of fun.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Truly. That's a nice shot. Since this thread started I saw a 2012-2013 Mustang today. Pah. In looks, no comparison. The current one is bloated and trying to aggressively exaggerate the principal styling cues of the original. It's like a comb over and a tight tee shirt while wearing a Sans-a Belt. Of course, the 100-300 hp differences and other things makes quite another point.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: