ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
okennon OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Surprising and damn flat Suffolk
Oddometer: 61
Virginia vehicle inspection rejection

My inspector wouldn't pass my '06 GS with any type of clear or wire grille in front of the headlight. Granted he's just getting his license back after a suspension and he might be hyper. But he claims vehicle code is very specific. I just pulled it off and put it back on afterwards. Be aware. WTF
okennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by okennon View Post
My inspector wouldn't pass my '06 GS with any type of clear or wire grille in front of the headlight. Granted he's just getting his license back after a suspension and he might be hyper. But he claims vehicle code is very specific. I just pulled it off and put it back on afterwards. Be aware. WTF
Well the law does seem specific

Quote:
19VAC30-70-360. Motorcycle lights: headlamp, rear, signal, warning.
A. Inspect for and reject if:
1. Motorcycle is not equipped with at least one motorcycle headlamp.
2. Any motorcycle headlamp is not of an approved type (SAE-M). A motorcycle may have one or more headlamps. In addition to the headlamp(s), a motorcycle may be equipped with not more than two auxiliary headlamps of a type approved (SAE-C) by the superintendent and identified as "auxiliary front lamps."
3. Lens and reflector do not match except in sealed units, or if the lens is cracked, broken or rotated, or if the lens and reflector are not clean or bright.
4. Any motorcycle lights-headlamp, rear lamp, signal or warning lamp has any wire, unapproved lens or plastic covers, any other materials that are not original equipment or any colored material placed on or in front of lamp or lens.
Sounds to me like he's doing his job. I'd write your representative to have them change the law, but he's simply following the regulations.

nwpa screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 03:39 PM
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,757
I take mine to a car service station for inspections. I know a hell of a lot more about bikes than they do. They just check the lights, look at my brake pads and slap a sticker on it.

I once took my R1100GS to a Honda dealer for inspection, he told me my steering head bearings were loose and wanted to fail me. I asked him to show me how he figured that out. He couldn't and said I will let it go this time. It was the last time I took my bike to a MC dealer to inspect.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NW PA
Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

I once took my R1100GS to a Honda dealer for inspection, he told me my steering head bearings were loose and wanted to fail me. I asked him to show me how he figured that out. He couldn't and said I will let it go this time. It was the last time I took my bike to a MC dealer to inspect.

Jim
I've been getting mine inspected at the same Honda dealer for 20+ years. It is just lights, horn and look at the brake pads. One day I notices he was going over a bike with the proverbial fine tooth comb. Later I asked him how come he never did that to mine, he said I know you and I know how you take care of your bikes, before I even touched that bike I could see the tires were low and the chain was rusty I knew there were more problems. Another time the service manager (real nice guy) did mine and was going over it pretty good. He said he was trying to find a problem, he couldn't.

__________________
The shortest distance between two points is boring.
Railbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)
 
Poway's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego CA
Oddometer: 486
Vehicle inspections, what are those?. Both our drivers in CA, and our friends Mexico often do not carry car insurance, let alone drive a safe vehicle.
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
joenuclear
Planning.....
 
joenuclear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 6,157
No inspections on any vehicles in Arkansas. It lets the troopers pull you over at any time for a visual. I've never had it happen or heard of anyone who has....
__________________
"They bought me a box of tin soldiers. I threw all the Generals away. I smashed up the Sergeants and Majors. Now I play with my Privates all day."
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
slipknot
Studly Adventurer
 
slipknot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 838
Every time I enter Virginia I feel like I've slipped behind the Iron Curtain into a Soviet police state. So many rules, so many police. In Kentucky we have no inspections although a light out will guarantee a stop by police for a warning ticket that is dismissed if you get the reapir done. While stopped you are asked for proof of insurance and of course, your license. The usual background check is done through the license plate before the uniform gets out of the car. And we have not had a real increase in the number of state police in over 20 years. A nice place to live.
__________________
Say what you will about the South but no one retires and moves up North.
slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
JACIII
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JACIII's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Mercer County, Ky
Oddometer: 360
+1 on Ky motoring.

If they would just quit trying to pave every square inch of gravel! I expect them to, any day now, insist on paving folks driveways.

We actually had "Safety Inspections" as far back as the 70's but it was such a racket even politicians couldn't stomach it.
__________________
JACIII
(Terminal Case)
2001 R1150gs 2007 KLX250s
"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand
JACIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer
 
fred flintstone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Above 7600 ft.
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I take mine to a car service station for inspections. I know a hell of a lot more about bikes than they do. They just check the lights, look at my brake pads and slap a sticker on it.

I once took my R1100GS to a Honda dealer for inspection, he told me my steering head bearings were loose and wanted to fail me. I asked him to show me how he figured that out. He couldn't and said I will let it go this time. It was the last time I took my bike to a MC dealer to inspect.

Jim
Lived in NOVA (mclean) for a long time. Lot of opportunity for crooked things to happen the way they are set up. Do you guys still have to do dyno tests for emissions on cars?

Now I live in SW colorado. No inspections no emissions. Lot of crooked still going on.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Every time I enter Virginia I feel like I've slipped behind the Iron Curtain into a Soviet police state. So many rules, so many police. In Kentucky we have no inspections although a light out will guarantee a stop by police for a warning ticket that is dismissed if you get the reapir done. While stopped you are asked for proof of insurance and of course, your license. The usual background check is done through the license plate before the uniform gets out of the car. And we have not had a real increase in the number of state police in over 20 years. A nice place to live.
Exaggerate much?

I've lived here 13 years and never felt like that. I actually like inspections. It cuts down on the number of shitty cars on the road, except those from MD which has no inspections.

Motorcycles, on the other hand, the "safety" inspections would be more effective if the inspectors knew what to look for and how to find it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Lived in NOVA (mclean) for a long time. Lot of opportunity for crooked things to happen the way they are set up. Do you guys still have to do dyno tests for emissions on cars?
Only on the old cars that can't be done via the diagnostic plugs.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
stretch160
Studly Adventurer
 
stretch160's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: up-state SC
Oddometer: 527
When I lived in NC, and drove a vehicle of questionable legality (emissions erra car with a 8-71 blower poking through the hood) I used many different aproaches to keeping my emissions sticker current. At one point I worked as an inspertor. Sometimes I just purchased the sticker outright. Once I took some artistic license with a sticker's date. but the most reliable technique was to have an atractive friend take the vehicle to a red-neck mechanic for inspection. It always came back with a new sticker, and sometimes without even charging her
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
Wreckman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Pa.
Oddometer: 128
I never get any of my bikes inspected, just take my chances. If the day comes I will pay the fine. Ill still be money ahead.
Wreckman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The land of Buzzards and Border Patrols
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckman View Post
I never get any of my bikes inspected, just take my chances. If the day comes I will pay the fine. Ill still be money ahead.
Hey Wreckman, that's the way some people do in Texas, I have a friend who hasn't had his bike inspected in 4 years. I usually get mine inspected, but I have forgotten about the wifes bike and she still rides it around with a year or two out. When I had two Vstroms I would switch things around when one was out. That's the great thing about small towns, and areas that are not densely populated. I am sure one fine will eat up any savings at least in Texas where its $14.50 for state inspection. It is possible to buy an inspection if your vehicle will not pass, I know someone who has a highly modified late model vehicle that is missing all forms of EPA parts, and he drives it all over San Antonio without an issue. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wb5plj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Jefferson City Missouri, Cole county.
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Exaggerate much?

I've lived here 13 years and never felt like that. I actually like inspections. It cuts down on the number of shitty cars on the road, except those from MD which has no inspections.

Motorcycles, on the other hand, the "safety" inspections would be more effective if the inspectors knew what to look for and how to find it.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Only on the old cars that can't be done via the diagnostic plugs.

Jim
Thus the problem with inspections. Who wouldn't like to have a trusted and knowledgeable and honest mechanic/technician look over their bike or car periodically and catch things that you may have missed before they go wrong, I would.

It doesn't work out that way, many mechanics are less knowledgeable than I. It is kind of like Jim said, he asked the guy to show how he knew his steering head bearing was bad and the guy couldn't. I don't have to know how to tell to see the chink in that "honest" armor fall. Trust is an issue, if they say "yes it is in perfect working order" and they only looked at it from ten foot away well then they lied. This is to be distinguished with the nod and wink "hear's your inspection", that was honest, but fraudulent, and therefore of no use to me, nor did it serve to make the roads a safer place for other people by keeping my potential dangerous bike off the road.

Of course legislate the price down to a tiny fraction of what they charge by the hour and you know that graft enters the mix (mainly from those un-trusted ones) such as steering head bearings. Finally all that inspections do is to check the very completely basic things. riders like Jim are knowledgeable enough to do an entire inspection and likely regularly do, so you do not benefit from it. it is not like they can ultrasonically check for micro fractures in your swingarm. in other words they don't do things that you can't do.

In order to keep the inspectors honest and even and fair etc, the legislators get involved (they had to, quite frankly not everyone is honest and all three of the above is harder to find), so a bureaucratic group is inspecting your bike in this case. As opposed to letting the knowledgeable, honest, and trusted mechanic look at the headlight guard and make a decision on it's safety, based on his knowledge and experience, nope in this case a legislators knowledge and experience was used, might as well use my mothers knowledge and experience.

shop owners are in an economic position to get licensed to provide inspections, they don't want to actually turn their customers over to others. but no one wants to get failed, they are immediately encouraged to do a fraudulent inspection, or at least absent inspection, nod and a wink kind. Isn't it revealing to all of us when they just fill out the paper work before looking at the bike, right in the office there.

So yea they would be great if they where handled by by trusted, knowledgeable, honest people. In the real world they serve no useful function for the vehicle owner, or the safety of the general public. they provide an opportunity graft and disparagement if it doesn't encourage it. I just see no useful purpose in it.

Finally just because this is text and sometimes when I write things others sometimes take them in a completely different way than I intended it let me say, Jim I am in no way picking on you, or attacking you or for that mater anyone here. Besides you have been very helpful to me, which also goes for everyone here. I just don't agree with the safety inspections because I think the concept in the real world is ill fated.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014