Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,817
Everybody has an opinion, and they are usually quick to offer it. First, do you plan on taking any long trips on the highway, or mostly under 100 miles. If you are not riding it cross country, don't rule out the Suzuki TU250. It is fully capable of being ridden on the highway. I would avoid the newer Ninjas, they don't really have a seat, and the bars are a bit low. The older style Ninja 250 ('07 and back) is a nice bike, and will definitely keep up with freeway traffic all day. The GS500E is a great bike, but very hard to find. Avoid the GS500F, it is basically a sport bike wannabe, and is far less comfortable than the E model. As the former, and recnt, owner of an EX500, I would definitely stay away from that bike. Mechanically it is an excellent machine, but the riding position is worse than uncomfortable, it's downright painful. For new, the CB500F should be a good choice. The R model is far less comfortable, due to it's much lower bars and more rearset pegs. It's also a great value, especially the non ABS model, which is the only one I recommend.

I don't get thee $2000 in gear and tools at all. You should be able to get all the high quality tools you need to maintain the bike for no more than $100. My helmet, a nice HJC full face DOT approved, cost under $120. The rest is up to you (I am not ATGATT by any means, but will not recommend against it) but you can get a nice riding suit for under $200. Assuming you are starting with nothing, you should be able to get everything you need for around $500 total. You will collect stuff over the years.

If you are a brand new rider, I do definitely recommend spending the money for the MSF rider course. It will do more to help save your life than a ton of gear.

I also recommend learning on a small dirt bike, which it what I did over 40 years ago, if that is an option. Falling on dirt hurts a lot less than going down on the street. And you can get really good at controlling the bike before having to deal with cell phone wielding car drivers. I would recommend a 250 dual sport as a first bike, but you are probably not tall enough to be comfortable on one.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 677
the zook tu250x is a blast to ride and really, really n00b-friendly with a low seat, low center of gravity, and light weight -- and it gets up to 75/80 nicely. it's forgiving, easy to wrench, and super-reliable. plus it looks like a skinny bonnie!

quasigentrified screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 02:23 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,473
Don't count out a dual sport - a lowered DR650 could fit the bill as well and will be stone simple on maintenance and when you drop it not a whole ton is going to break.

I owned an EX500 and thought it was uncomfortable and cramped, and I'm only marginally bigger than you (5'8" -9"ish). Mainly hurt my shoulders and wrists after 200 miles at a time. The GS500 felt more roomy.

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
The Blue Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
You can get a lot of new bike for $6K.

I'd look for a Ninja 300 (there might even be used ones available already). It's light, cheap, reliable, and unlike the 250, will have the "oomph" for highway riding right out of the box.

Then ride the crap out of it and figure out what kind of riding you like, before you go spending big $$ on accessories, tuning, and farkles.

You can always find ways to spend the big bucks later... Trust me
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
Ninjafreak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Sounds like a no brainer to me. Ninja 300 would be perfect.
Ninjafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
There really is a lot of good advice trickling in. I am a strong advocate for ABS. Unfortunately not too many of the highway worthy beginner bikes under 6K have it. You are on ADV, so I am assuming you have some visions or dreams of traveling. Most people that find our site do. Is traveling something that you intend to do with your first bike? If so, you'll want to find one that is easy to accessorize.

You may also want to consider buying a well priced used beginner bike like a Ninja 250. Ride the piss out of the thing until your skills have improved. Sell it for what you paid for it, then get the bike you really want. Dropping a $2500 bike isn't nearly as painful as dropping a $6000 bike. In fact lots of used beginner bikes come pre-dropped along with the accompanying depreciation hit!!!

$2000 for gear is a big stretch. I have an attic full of retired gear that's barely used. I keep waiting to find someone who wants it for a bargain price. I'd fully outfit someone for $200.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #22
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,320
Buy a used BMW F650 GS.

You'll get ABS, great mileage, and a bike that can keep up on the highway.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
Randyincolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Where do you live? What will you be using the bike for? Do you want to ride solo? Carry luggage? Will your drives be mostly in town or on the highway? Do you have a motorcycle endorsement for your drivers license? Have you taken the MSF basic course?
Randyincolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Your Honda CB500 idea is solid. When others mention the Suzuki GS500, they are right, but the CB500 available now is what the GS500 was when it was being sold. I would love to have one myself.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
Buy a used BMW F650 GS.

You'll get ABS, great mileage, and a bike that can keep up on the highway.
And one that drops cheaply!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
The CB500 isn't a bad option at all.

One thing I'd advise is to focus less on engine displacement and more on power, power curve, chassis, ergonomics, etc. Some large displacement engines are very mild and make relatively little power (e.g., an aircooled harley) while some smaller engines are very powerful and somewhat hard to use (any current 600cc I4 supersport).

The suzuki and kawasaki 650cc twins are very good bikes. Mild enough to be very reasonable first street bikes and quick enough to keep up with traffic and last you awhile.

You can run the ninja 250 or 300 on the highway but imho it's not much fun.

I'd advise against any streetbike for a true first bike. It's really hard to learn how to ride well on the street. You'll learn more, faster, off road (and have more fun). My advice would be to get an inexpensive dirt bike and ride for at least a year before getting onto the street. That way you don't have to learn basic bike handling while simultaneously dodging cars.

As far as street riding gear, here's what I consider necessary to get an acceptable level of risk and comfort (and of course everyone has different preferences).
  • ($200-$700) Quality full-face helmet (non-plastic shell, I like the Bell Star quite a bit)
    ($200-$400) Mid-range or better boots, sport or sport touring style
    (~$100) Mid-range or better sport-style gloves (great protection and bike feel)
    ($~300 ea)Sturdy riding jacket and pants (details really depend on weather, but something that will take a lot of abrasion and has quality armor to help absorb impacts. Leather with CE rated armor would generally be a safe bet)

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I would first focus on what type of bike you want. They vary widely. Do you want a cruiser, standard, sport bike, or dual sport? All three are totally different. You can also get a fully highway capable scooter for that price, with no shifting and a comfortable riding position, and underseat storage.

You also need to decide new or used. Used gives you a lot more options, but no warranty. If this is your first bike, you will not likely wear it out, unless you get a real piece of junk. A Ninja 250 can last 100,000 miles with proper maintenance. And dropping a used bike will not hurt as much emotionally as dropping a shiny new one.

If you are a true beginner, I would concentrate on learning to ride before even considering something for the freeway. Get a $1500 used Honda Rebel, learn to ride it, get real comfortable (but not complacent) on it, then sell it for almost as much as you paid for it, and find a bike you really want.
1980 Puch moped
Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
Luceid OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great responses, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
There really is a lot of good advice trickling in. I am a strong advocate for ABS. Unfortunately not too many of the highway worthy beginner bikes under 6K have it. You are on ADV, so I am assuming you have some visions or dreams of traveling. Most people that find our site do. Is traveling something that you intend to do with your first bike? If so, you'll want to find one that is easy to accessorize.

You may also want to consider buying a well priced used beginner bike like a Ninja 250. Ride the piss out of the thing until your skills have improved. Sell it for what you paid for it, then get the bike you really want. Dropping a $2500 bike isn't nearly as painful as dropping a $6000 bike. In fact lots of used beginner bikes come pre-dropped along with the accompanying depreciation hit!!!

$2000 for gear is a big stretch. I have an attic full of retired gear that's barely used. I keep waiting to find someone who wants it for a bargain price. I'd fully outfit someone for $200.
First of all, thanks for the great responses!

This is a really good point that I hadn't thought to address. I live in Massachusetts and I am planning on doing a road trip to florida next summer when I have a lot more experience riding. In, the meantime the bike I purchase will be for commuting to work and riding for fun!

Ideally, I would prefer a sporty commuter bike that CAN be used for long distance rides. I don't want a touring bike (I hate how they look to be honest). Dual sport is also out, as they are usually single cylinder. Despite more advanced counter balancing, all reviews I've read say they still vibrate a lot at highway speeds, but please correct me if I'm wrong about this. Either way, I do not intend to ride off-road anyway.

I also forgot to mention that I drive a manual transmission car, I race on a road bike (not the same thing I know, but it helps), and I will be taking a safety course before I get started. I think I should safely be able to go straight to a motorcycle rather than a dirt bike.

Anyway, I hope that helps any further posts narrow down the choices a bit more. Thanks guys!
-Luceid

Luceid screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 01:07 PM Reason: forgot some details
Luceid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #29
JerryH
Vintage Rider

From your last post, and your price range, I would definitely go with the Honda CB500F. It is basically a sporty standard that can handle long trips on the highway, and commuting, and should also be great on curvy roads. It should be more comfortable than any Ninja, less highly stressed than the Ninja 300, and still handle great.
1980 Puch moped
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
Luceid OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
From your last post, and your price range, I would definitely go with the Honda CB500F. It is basically a sporty standard that can handle long trips on the highway, and commuting, and should also be great on curvy roads. It should be more comfortable than any Ninja, less highly stressed than the Ninja 300, and still handle great.
Thanks, you basically confirmed what my research was indicating. But I'd like to ask why you chose the F out of the three models. I saw an article detailing the differences between the three and I was still left a bit confused!

I still haven't fully decided obviously, so if anyone has any additional input I will continue to monitor the thread!

Thanks,
-Patrick
Luceid is offline   Reply With Quote