User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Too many options..Duc to GS.. Help!

Some background: I've been working at an electric motorcycle company for ~2 years, and had a company bike the whole time. Most of that has been an electric version of a 696 Monster. Naked, mild forward lean, torquey, lots of fun.
I've put around 10k + miles on that in the past year, and 4k miles on a more upright commuter the year before. Mileage is lots of commuting, errands, and weekend/evening canyon runs.

It's looking like I'll be moving to western CT for family reasons, and will likely no longer have a company bike.
Trying to figure out what direction to go.
  • The R12gs looks like fun, I'd enjoy the possibility of two-up touring to VT, NH, maybe even Nova Scotia. It'd also be a good option for the daily commute, even if it's bigger than necessary.
  • A Monster would be an easy transfer, and I could rig up a hard bag or two for work shoes etc. Would also be somewhat track-worthy, which is a plus.
  • A Duc 748/848 pulls at my heart strings, and would have me in the garage staring at it everytime I shut it down. I'm tall enough that the length of the bike wouldn't be a huge issue, but I'm sure my knees might grow tired of it after a while.
  • The Honda NC700x/V-strom/F650gs single type options would probably be the most practical, but they aren't ideal for two up or track time.

Anyone else been here? Thoughts appreciated!

xxguitarist screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 03:54 PM
xxguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 123
If track time is definitely in your future, I'd stick with one of the Ducatis. Motorcycles aren't rational purchases, so I tend to follow my heart.

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Track time is probably 90% chance of happening say 2x/yr. There are a handful of local-ish tracks, though they don't look quite as safe as the ones I'm used to here (Thunderhill)

I figure that 75% of mileage will be here-to-there or out for a ride to explore, some of it 2 up.
20% quick pace street riding, if I can find some good roads.
5% track time by mileage.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,164
1150GS and a Duc. Why limit yourself?
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000RSV View Post
1150GS and a Duc. Why limit yourself?
I would rather have ABSII (ie, 2007+ r12gs) but otherwise, it's just the issue of finding the pair within my budget & not getting too much trouble from the insurance agency. Would be a fantastic pair though!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,988
If you are going to do track time, buy a disposable 600cc Japanese bike that wont cost a fortune to fix when you drop it.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Have you considered the Multistrada? Seems like it ticks all the boxes.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
If you are going to do track time, buy a disposable 600cc Japanese bike that wont cost a fortune to fix when you drop it.
Have considered this option, even with a 250. Not opposed to it, but it would really be with a track only use in mind. They don't call to me for daily use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Have you considered the Multistrada? Seems like it ticks all the boxes.
It had been grouped in my mind in the same category as the GS. I know it's up on power, but does the handling and lean angle actually meet what one would be looking for, to track it?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Multi 1100s would definitely seem like a good option here. I personally would not group it with a GS but to each there own.

Buying a ninja 250 or cbr/gsxr/zx-r 600cc for 2500-3500 for a track bike may not be a bad idea either, or an SV650 or what have you. Definitely wouldn't feel as bad about crashing one out.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,641
I would definitely not ride a nice bike on the track. I did one track day, on an EX500, MANY years ago. Everybody else there had crashed, and fully expected to crash again. I decided crashing on asphalt was not for me, so I never tried it again.

I don't get the GS at all. It is way to big and heavy to be a good dirt bike, seems like a much cheaper KLR would be better. It is not comfortable enough to be a good road bike, a pure street bike (with a lower seat height) would be better for highway use. As for use as an adventure touring bike, I still don't see how it is better at anything than a KLR. A KLR will take you anywhere, for 1/3 the price.

If you buy a hardcore sport bike, it will be worthless as anything else. I do kind of like the V-Stroms and NC700X.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Did some researching on the multi 1100s. I could see it being a good option. Didn't actually realize quite how big the power difference was between that model & the current. Has plenty for me anyway.

Jerry,
I think I "get" the GS, also "get" the KLR, but I don't think two-up roadtrips would be much fun on the KLR. We would like to do the Nova Scotia trip, and that's over 1600 mi round trip.
I posted in the road section of the forum because I've found my riding doesn't often (if ever) involve going past some decently maintained packed gravel roads. Nothing says that couldn't change, it's just what I've been up to lately.

If I was taking a nice sportbike onto the track, I'd probably spend the money upfront to replace the fairings with something track appropriate. I don't want to do any AFM or anything, but an occasional day for fun or rider training would be to my benefit. Running a 250 would certainly make any asphalt contact less painful financially & possibly physically.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 123
I love my Multi 1200s, and it is damn fast, but an RT is a better bike for 2 up travel. An 1150 or 1200rt is a great all around bike, and they are very comfortable, without being too Gold Wingish.

The most important thing, IMHO, in traveling 2 up is your passengers comfort. That of course assumes that you want a chance to repeat the performance.

Ok, we've told you what we like, have you ridden anything aside from your E-bike? And if so, what did you like and dislike?

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

OneTraveller screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 06:40 AM
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxguitarist View Post
It had been grouped in my mind in the same category as the GS. I know it's up on power, but does the handling and lean angle actually meet what one would be looking for, to track it?
I think you can get your knee down on it, and in the right hands will give any race bike a run for its money.

Here's the Pikes Peak version on a track... I'm not sure the GS would fare so well...

Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxguitarist View Post
Track time is probably 90% chance of happening say 2x/yr. There are a handful of local-ish tracks, though they don't look quite as safe as the ones I'm used to here (Thunderhill)
Look up Tony's Track Days when you get out here. I've never done one, but my friend is heavily involved with them, they do NH and a track in Jersey. (edit-crashes are very rare in non-competition track days)
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
thisisbenji
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I'm a big fan of the Monster! That's probably the route I would go, as I love the weight of them. All that torque would be great for commutes as well.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote