User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
GregsDRZ400 OP
Back Road Explorer

Oddometer: 175
Airhawk for F800GS

Ive decided on the Airhawk R for my stock seat. I have a couple of 1000+ mile days coming up. I have heard a lot of good things about them and after about 600 miles the stock seat was killing me. I don't want to replace the stock seat, just make it more comfortable. Any opinions on these?

WEBSITE

GregsDRZ400 screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 04:20 PM
GregsDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Heifer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I recently purchased an Airhawk for $90 which includes shipping and it makes a world of a difference. No more numbness and butt aches. Well worthwhile investment.
Heifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Is the "R" the right Airhawk model for this bike? Just curious...
Pete7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,099
The Airhawk small cruiser was the best damn thing I did to my GS. It absolutely made my long tours possible. There is lots here on that if you can find it. I bought the cheaper vinyl one and it was perfect until I found a used Comfort Seat. Sold the Airhawk immediately in the Flea Market for 80% of my cost. You have nothing to lose.

Don't know anything about the new R model.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 674
"R" model is the, ah-hem, gentleman's version...no hot spots on the scrotum, prostate, and tailbone. But at $199.99, you're half way to a custom seat.

I have the cruiser medium on mine. It's the proverbial Bee's knees.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 662
air hawke

I bought the SCP small cruiser for $120 AUD. Looks ugly but I can easily do 450km without complaint. Easily removable if you want to fit to another bike. I have even considered taking it on long flights!

I see them on Ebay for $88 USD
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Heifer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
My sentiments exactly with Rider 101. Go for it!
Heifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,778
I have an Airhawk and it works well, but I think the shape of that R model would work really well on the F8. When I mount my Medium Cruiser model it rides up on the airbox quite a ways to get it to sit right for my butt...it is the cheaper one too around 99 IIRC...I love the fact that I can move it bike to bike and I did use it for long distance driving too

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
The Airhawk small cruiser was the best damn thing I did to my GS. It absolutely made my long tours possible. There is lots here on that if you can find it. I bought the cheaper vinyl one and it was perfect until I found a used Comfort Seat. Sold the Airhawk immediately in the Flea Market for 80% of my cost. You have nothing to lose.

Don't know anything about the new R model.
Unless you have had prostate surgery or are contemplating it, get the small cruiser for under a hundred bucks.
Best money you will ever spend on your bike. The cheaper small cruiser version is fine. I won't ride my bike for anything more than a hundred miles without it. The stock seat was designed and put on the bike in order that BMW could sell a "comfort" version to suckers.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 168
Had/have a custom seat...

I have a custom built seat from XPC racing. It was substantially better than the stock seat. I too had some long days in the saddle planned and though I'd give the Airhawk a try. I removed the XPC seat and put the stock seat back on with the Airhawk.

I haven't taken it off (except to lend it to someone on a 1200GS who had taken the passenger seat off and needed to carry someone out of the trail) for over a year.

The key to the AirHawk is to not have too much air in it. You should be able to shift from side-to-side (cheek to cheek) and pretty much touch the stock seat underneath.

I just did a ride with someone who had tailbone problems. He had an Airhawk as well. For him he had his inflated almost to the max and found it worked best for his situation.

03 TTR 225
89 Kat GSX600F

3Rrr screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 07:56 AM Reason: Clarification of post.
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
paddlinfool
3rd midlife crisis

Oddometer: 15
I've been to Prudhoe Bay in 2011 Ontario in 2012 and all the Western US in 2013. All from Vancouver Island BC. I can't imagine being without my air hawk. In fact I had a small puncture in it at the Grand Canyon this summer and just about lost my tiny mind....Thank the higher power it was on a surface that could be patched with a simple bicycle tube patch....Couldn't get THAT done fast enough. Once you get used to not being in direct contact with your ride, you won't ride without it. Kinda like riding on a waterbed......+1 for the writer that says less air is best.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlinfool View Post
Kinda like riding on a waterbed......
Uhh... I can't stand waterbeds.

So, which airhawk version do you have?
Pete7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,941
You'll find the small cruiser fits perfect, the medium gives you some droop over the side. Depends on what you want, some like the droop, others don't, but either one is going to turn your bike into a 12 hour no problem ride.
With the Airhawks you can move around, you get ventilation in hot weather, and easy dry in wet weather. The $500 buck comfort rip off from BMW gives you no ventilation, longer drying, and locks you into one position as it has a distinct step to it. A simple PVC Airhawk on a stock seat beats the "comfort" seat any day of the week.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
ktownbobski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifer View Post
I recently purchased an Airhawk for $90 which includes shipping and it makes a world of a difference. No more numbness and butt aches. Well worthwhile investment.
Where did you find one for $90 including shipping!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
paddlinfool
3rd midlife crisis

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Uhh... I can't stand waterbeds.

So, which airhawk version do you have?

I have the small cruiser. I think you were talking about the F800GS? Its a perfect fit. I would think a little about the "Airhawk 2 " system which is PVC. I just don't know if it could handle the same punishment that the Original neoprene one can. I'm a little biased....and, as I mentioned, regular bike tube patches are great for a solid fix. PVC? I'm not so sure they can be fixed properly, especially on the road....IMHO