View Results: I am?
Hands on oil changing bike tinkerer do it yourself biker 118 82.52%
A Rider who pretty much just rides only 25 17.48%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Babatad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
7 reasons I chose my KTM 1190 Adventure / R (or plan to)

Hi all - Had my bike for a few weeks now, KTM 1190 Adventure - reasons I bought it (not in priority):

1) Looks awesome (orange model), later found out it is a bigger head turner than I thought-who doesn't love to ride a cool bike. Too bad I'm married

2) * Depended heavily on reviewers, bike owner comments, this forum and similar - positive on the areas I wanted handling, smile on face qualities...

*note: NO TEST RIDE available so I literally relied on the comments of those who sounded sensible/legit)

3) Looked at side by side reviews of GS, Triumph and didn't feel they were as good even though they are also quality bikes

4) I'm not a techy type and really want a bike that's reasobably low maintenance - I know how to clean, fill it up with petrol/gas and check tyre pressure that's it. (time will tell). (Lost me on another thread at the diff with hp at back wheel front wheel and crank - huh?

5) To make my mate and fellow biker seethe with envy and jealousy :)

6) My bank manager was in agreement so I'm now a proud sub one month owner of a gorgeous KTM 1190 Adventure.

7) I do not like orange but love it on my bike.

To come:
- install orange crash bars when there Is stock
- got the L&E side cases (Don't like the top case looks too bulky)
- came with EDS

Happy days and safe riding all!!!
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Got an R because... in no particular order

- I'm an average rider at best, and need good TC and ABS.
- I've missed the power of a big bike with my last one (wee strom)
- 21 inch front wheel for gravel roads.
- decent suspension for crap roads.
- good all purpose bike, daily commuter, tourer, adv, pillion.
- not too heavy.
- giving my advancing years, probably the last big bike I'll own.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Babatad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
- I'm an average rider at best, and need good TC and ABS.
- I've missed the power of a big bike with my last one (wee strom)
- 21 inch front wheel for gravel roads.
- decent suspension for crap roads.
- good all purpose bike, daily commuter, tourer, adv, pillion.
- not too heavy.
- giving my advancing years, probably the last big bike I'll own.
Pretty awesome if it is the last bike you ride. I learned today to go easy on the throttle in sports mode. Great power great balance and not too heavy as you pointed out.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I have got the adventure 1190

1- performance of the engine,hp,torque is amazing
2-two up low speed stability
3- gear box and clutch ,fly by wire.
4- electronic goodies
5- lightness and useable ergonomics easy to manage in very heavy traffic.
6- as well as a touring bike ,it can do off road,can do two up commuting and hooligan riding. Easly keep up with my sports bike owners mates.
7- up right position and protection from weather.comfortable ride .
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Babatad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
I have got the adventure 1190

1- performance of the engine,hp,torque is amazing
2-two up low speed stability
3- gear box and clutch ,fly by wire.
4- electronic goodies
5- lightness and useable ergonomics easy to manage in very heavy traffic.
6- as well as a touring bike ,it can do off road,can do two up commuting and hooligan riding. Easly keep up with my sports bike owners mates.
7- up right position and protection from weather.comfortable ride .
Love the pics you've loaded. Trying to work out how to load photos myself. Came across a guy on a Diavel and his friend on a hypermotard, they were so curious about my new orange beast, one even asked for a ride but I politely declined. Ah no way I'm gonna let a stranger try my bike especially new.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Babatad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Traction control and rain mode did its job today. So far I'm truly impressed and if you haven't tried this bike please do. My first KTM - makes me smile.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Lee990Adventure
Lee1190Adventure

Oddometer: 22
My new 1190!

Hi, collect my new orange 1190 adventure this Friday 12th from Fowlers in Bristol, complete with eds, panniers, nav, heated grips & seats - counting down the hours and looking forward to riding it all weekend - any tips on running it in?

Reason for buying (my 48th consecutive motorcycle) is that after riding the GS WC, Multistada and Crosstourer was that it Made me grin like a child, handling is beautiful, comfort is good, KTM's are usually tough and reliable, i ride with a passenger quite often and the bike has a high level of build quality, I'm looking forward to proving the later!

The MS was very nice, but you cant really Take a blood red Ducati on gravel roads can you, scratching it would be like cutting yourself, a KTM looks like a soldier with scars when it's roughed-up a little, the GS was sophisticated and high quality, but had No spirit, passion or much life in it, still enjoy the occasional wheelie when No one's looking, the Honda was a surprise, much Better than it looked, and quicker than you might think, but it's not a hand-Made European bit of kit either....the KTM just ticks all the boxes for me, roll on Friday 09:30hrs...

Regards,

Leslie
Lee990Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Babatad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee990Adventure View Post
Hi, collect my new orange 1190 adventure this Friday 12th from Fowlers in Bristol, complete with eds, panniers, nav, heated grips & seats - counting down the hours and looking forward to riding it all weekend - any tips on running it in?

Congrats Leslie, so cool to pick up and ride off on a shiny new bike. You've owned 48 bikes, that's impressive. My KTM is only my 4th bike but stoked.

You would be far more experienced than me but on your question I can share what I was told and that was to go easy on the revs in the first 1,000 kilometers, pretty standard advice as you know - which I dare say is sometimes tempting not to do given this bike has so much energy and ability - i know why they are called hooligans - they have the ability to get down and nasty or be pristine and beautiful.

I know the duc multi strada owner I mention earlier is considering a trade in for one of these Austrian orange babies lol.

You got the full kit on your bike that's awesome. I just added panniers and will probably upgrade bits and pieces as I go. Need to learn to change oil and do little services (after warranty). So many people here seem to enjoy that part of owning the bike I must be missing out.

Babatad screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 05:35 PM Reason: Bugger - still working out how to use the functions on this board
Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:

...the Honda was a surprise, much Better than it looked, and quicker than you might think, but it's not a hand-Made European bit of kit either....the KTM just ticks all the boxes for me...

Leslie
I was interested in your Honda comment, y'see, I currently own a CrossTourer but have both the Adventure 1190 (and R1200GS wasser) coming soon into our rental fleet. www.aussiebiker.com.au
From a purely business point-of-view, the purchase of a 150hp chook chaser may not be the smartest decision but after looking at the specs, reading the tests and test riding one myself, I simply could not help myself. However, rental customers will have to line up after me when it comes to availability!!!

Now, getting back to the CrossTourer, in the absence of the soon to arrive KTM, I have been out riding the Honda over recent weekends and while the general consensus among many is that its not a bike worthy of dual-sport status, I have found it to be an excellent bike that does everything well, goes like stink on demand yet pulls hard from low revs, will run down to 50kays around town and still pull smoothly in top, handles very well at speed on our bumpy back roads, has a powerful relaxed gait out on the motorway and on the gravel roads I have so far ventured, it did not put a foot wrong. On top of that, it does have character which leaves you wanting for more after the bike is parked at the end of the day. BUT, it IS a damn heavy barstard and with the addition of crash bars, engine guard, panniers etc its now even heavier so while it might eat up easy dirt roads, the Austrian bikes will always rule the roost.

So it is with great anticipation that the KTM awaits and as big a smile the 1190 might give me, I will always have respect for the CrossTourer even though the magazine testers generally give it scant regard.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 11:52 PM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
Babatad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
So it is with great anticipation that the KTM awaits and as big a smile the 1190 might give me, I will always have respect for the CrossTourer even though the magazine testers generally give it scant regard.
I also wonder how much influence advertising revenue has on how a bike is represented. I tend to trust owners comments more and those help to verify what you read in the magazines. There is also subjectivity and bias that you need to work through. Well that's how I chose my bike without having the luxury of a test ride and it was a good call.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #11
Lee990Adventure
Lee1190Adventure

Just got my owners Book, in advance, from my dealer; 6500rpm rev limit for first 1,000km. Less than 24hrs to go and finding it hard to sleep!

What i did like about the Honda was the build quality and its dependable nature-together with the fact that one simple push of a button enables gentle power wheelies, like a 747 rotating on Take Off, but did you notice the back brake pedal? Looks flimsy doesnt it? Really out of character with the rest of the machine. Was also intrigued by the dct transmission option, although i rode a manual.

Also looked at a Tiger 1200 XC in a kind of two-wheeled Range Rover kind of way, looks ok but didnt get inspired to ride it, seems aimed at the more mature (touring) rider, and am a sucker for the KTM's manic grin in relation to the Ducati's "ciao bella" wink from thier respective drl systems. Had a 990smr, 450excr and a 990adv before this so looking forward to exploring the technological advancements the Austrians have developed.

Anyone been down to Salisbury plain recently? Looking to buy an os map to explore the area.

Thanks for your replies, nice to 'virtually' meet you all.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #12
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Who ever going to buy you will love the bike just one problem in heavy traffic it's a little hot.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
Babatad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oops - nearly clipped a car with the left pannier

The panniers are fantastic. The heat from bike doesnt affect the temp in panniers - i thought it might eapecially the right pannier over the exhaust or the left with the heat from the engine.

The width takes some cautious riding and getting use to. While lane splitting during a stand still I think I was like millimeters from clipping the back of a car. These KTM panniers are reasonably wide and ill have to be a bit more careful.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Lee990Adventure
Lee1190Adventure

End of first day, beautiful weather so did 140+ Milea today, also touched one of the panniers getting out of a car park, clipped the barrier, never had a bike with hard luggage before! Running in bearable, 6500=107mph/170kmh so larger roads are ok, steering beautiful, No chicken strips on my bike!

Didnt notice a heat issue, just taking all the nasty stickers Off it and adjusting it to fit me and my preferences-very, very pleased with shiny new orange beasty, have a good weekend gentlemen.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Babatad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
End of first day, beautiful weather so did 140+ Milea today, also touched one of the panniers getting out of a car park, clipped the barrier, never had a bike with hard luggage before! Running in bearable, 6500=107mph/170kmh so larger roads are ok, steering beautiful, No chicken strips on my bike!

Didnt notice a heat issue, just taking all the nasty stickers Off it and adjusting it to fit me and my preferences-very, very pleased with shiny new orange beasty, have a good weekend gentlemen.
Do you mean the sticker on the tank nearest to the seat? I was thinking of taking it off also not the nicest looking thing but was worried it would leave an even uglier mark.