Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #182
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Not sure where to post this so this thread will have to do.
Riding into work this morning I came up on a 1200GS at a red light, full set of Tourtech cases, and the owner is wearing a Nazi 1/2 helmet!
You do know what the "B" stands for Right?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #183
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Didn't read the whole thread but I hate really loud pipes. I own a Harley with stock pipes and have no desire to change them, much to the amazement of some of my HD riding buddies. ...then again, I bought a Harley despite the image, not because of it.

Sure, it's possible that some cager will hear your ultra loud pipes and be made aware of your presence but it isn't worth the tradeoff IMO. Besides, I'm ATGATT and most of the "loud pipes" guys wear beanies....doesn't make much sense until you realize that "saves lives" really means "makes me look/sound cool".

2 cents.
Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #184
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Wow, so what you are saying is that with just 3% of the market, the bmw guys are overachievers
I have no bias, i'd own one of everything if I had the money. I don't ride to impress and I rarely ride with anyone else. I like to talk and admire bikes the same as anyone else... Wait till I get my pennies saved for a Ducati; then I'll have all the bases covered for strongly opinionated people.
You'll need to get a Vespa also, that way you can cover the ironic hipster and aging Mods. The Mods will have mellowed quite a bit, but the hipsters will be marinating in the fullness of youthful certainty.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #185
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE loud pipes. Harley riders in general have rubbed me the wrong way way more often than not, but I won't say I hate them just yet. But the mockery of this mantra just keeps coming up lately and I've been thinking about it.

The other day, I was driving (car) along the hwy and before I even looked in my rear view, I heard a rider with his loud pipes coming up. If he was in my blind spot, I certainly would have known he was there. Annoying as all hell, but I would have known.

I'm also not denying that the 'real' reason they do the loud pipes thing is because they are macho, cool etc... But is it not reasonable to say they probably have saved a life or two? It would certainly be less likely to notice me on my quiet bike, would it not? I would think I would definitely notice them approaching from behind before I would you or I in our reflective gear.

Excuse the naiveté. If I'm missing something, fill me in. I'm perfectly willing to accept your side as I'm already leaning towards animosity.
The real question is: What is the NET effect? While I will certainly grant that loud pipes may have saved a few lives, they have probably also directly (due to induced heart attacks and/or loss of control due to startlement) or indirectly (due to lower situational awareness from either short term fatigue or long term hearing loss) cost lives. While it's highly unlikely that anyone can count up the lives on either side of this particular equation, the negative attitudes amongst the general public that loud pipes engender are much easier to identify. (For a great sendup on the subject, South Park's "The F Word" episode is educational.)

If someone wants to cause some head 'xplodey action, try to get a "loud pipes save lives / helmets can kill ya" true believer to reconcile the two positions...
Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #186
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
I heard that loud pipes save lives.

I always want to be safe, so I thought I would take it a step further. I added train horns to my bike, with an electric air compressor, and rigged them to blare continuously while I ride. They are so loud that I have to wear ear plugs and shooting ear muffs at the same time.

I can't fit my helmet on over them, but that's OK since I am so safe now.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #187
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
What I find odd about the list for Iron Butt, is almost all are small bikes and sport tourers.
The sport tourers offer the best balance of weight, environmental protection, and range for something like the Iron Butt. The bikes you identify don't have nearly the tank range of the sport tourers, and are on the very edge of the m/c weight bell curve. They are all designed to be superlative 2-up rides, but for most riders, the characteristics that make them so good 2-up hurt them in the IB context.

Oh, and to swing back on topic, I'd venture that none of the bikes on that list have loud pipes.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #188
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
Yes some advice. Buy something with fuel injection. A Ural is real 1930's German technology so my apologies to the HD crowd.
1930's German technology with 21st century Russian QUALITY CONTROL. Marketing folks call the result "character." What could possibly go wrong???
Old 08-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #189
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Loud pipes impress the hell out of teenage boys....if you're into that.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #190
B dub'ya
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
You do know what the "B" stands for Right?
Just speakin' for myself, i don't even know what "B" your talkin' about.
B dub'ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #191
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
1930's German technology with 21st century Russian QUALITY CONTROL. Marketing folks call the result "character." What could possibly go wrong???
Not exactly true.
The technology isn't that old. They just had an engine redesign 10 years ago to help meet American/European emission specs for the near future. New Urals have overhead valves, Ducati auto-advancing electronic ignition, Japanese Keihin constant velocity (CV) carbs, electronic starters, reverse gearboxes with German Herzog gears, 12 volt Japanese Denso alternators, Koni (or some other big name brand) rear shocks/swingarms, an Italian Brembo front disc brake, Italian Paioli front forks (some telescopic models), powder coated frames, bolt-on J-pipe headers, catalytic converters, paper air filters, paper oil filters, extended maintenance intervals, etc. It's at least late 1990's tech...
And for 2014? Disc brakes all around and EFI...
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #192
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Didn't read the whole thread but I hate really loud pipes. I own a Harley with stock pipes and have no desire to change them, much to the amazement of some of my HD riding buddies. ...then again, I bought a Harley despite the image, not because of it.

Sure, it's possible that some cager will hear your ultra loud pipes and be made aware of your presence but it isn't worth the tradeoff IMO. Besides, I'm ATGATT and most of the "loud pipes" guys wear beanies....doesn't make much sense until you realize that "saves lives" really means "makes me look/sound cool".

2 cents.
Dave
Dave, I think you are one of a small, but very exemplary part of the riding population. The stereotypes of sport bikers, Goldwing riders, Harley riders, and BMW riders are well known - and, from my observation, about 90% accurate.

In the summer, sport bike riders wear full face helmets (not flip-ups) but little else in protective gear. Goldwing riders wear half-face helmets, but little else in protective gear. Harley riders wear the smallest possible helmets (where helmets are required) light vests or jackets but cover their legs with jeans or leggings. BMW riders have fabric suits, boots, gloves, and either a full face or flip-up helmet.

I consider myself very lucky to have started my riding career about 17 years ago with the encouragement and tutelage of BMW riders. I got good gear as quickly as I could afford it - sure for the comfort and protection, and it seems many of the minimal gear riders don't appreciate how much more comfortable good gear can be in all conditions - but I'm sure I also did it to "blend in with the group."

There are tons of reports on this and other forums that ATGATT reduces discomfort under all adverse conditions and reduces injuries in a crash. Still, people like Dave who dress against the "group standard" are in the minority. He stands out. I was probably just lucky in starting with the right group.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #193
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
One thing I can think of in defense of loud pipes: deer.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #194
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
One thing I can think of in defense of loud pipes: deer.
Deer are unpredictable. They are just as likely to run in front of you as run away from you, loud pipes or not. Their unpredictability is an advantage for their survival when being attacked by a natural predator. Loud pipes won't change that.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #195
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
All The Gear All The Time..... now

In 1983 after the last game of the Stanley Cup playoffs I went riding with a friend. My riding attire consisted of a full face helmet, cutoffs, untied sneakers and a tee-shirt. I came off the bike in a residential area due to my own stupidity. I wasn't travelling quickly, but the crash left me with a separated shoulder, minor concussion, ruined helmet and badly scratched up from hip to toe on my left side. From that point on I took riding and riding gear much more seriously. Don't wait for a pavement reminder to wear proper gear and that is particularly true of helmets. Looking cool will mean nothing in the hospital or morgue.