Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #196
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
How about this actual article?

Quote:
Never Use The Front Brake First
When a raccoon leaps out at you, a semi decides to change lanes or your exit pops up out of nowhere and it's time to hit the brakes and shed that speed, never hit the front brakes first. NEVER. You must train your instincts to always go for the rear brake first. If you grab the front break with any kind of enthusiasm at speed, you will eat it. This is not a question; it is a fact. Brake first with your foot, not your hand -- you'll be glad you did.

Read more: Motorcycle Safety - AskMen

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #197
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
How about this actual article?
Quote:
When a raccoon leaps out at you, a semi decides to change lanes or your exit pops up out of nowhere and it's time to hit the brakes and shed that speed, never hit the front brakes first. NEVER. You must train your instincts to always go for the rear brake first. If you grab the front break with any kind of enthusiasm at speed, you will eat it. This is not a question; it is a fact. Brake first with your foot, not your hand -- you'll be glad you did.

IDIOT Rules.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 08:37 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #198
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,628
Years ago, my dad bought a used CB350. Front brake lever was corroded in place (this was in Honolulu). Guy had ridden the bike for several years, since new, and had NEVER used the front brake. He had been told that if he ever used it, it would "launch him over the handlebars."

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #199
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Years ago, my dad bought a used CB350. Front brake lever was corroded in place (this was in Honolulu). Guy had ridden the bike for several years, since new, and had NEVER used the front brake. He had been told that if he ever used it, it would "launch him over the handlebars."

1911fan
[sarcasm> Manufacturers are known to put equipment on their products that, when used as intended, will cause their customers great bodily harm. It is the goal of every company to lose their shirts over product liability cases.[/sarcasm>
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #200
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Quote:

IDIOT Rules.
No well writing samaritan is going to rip askmen a new one for this?

You know, it scares me just as much knowing that there a lot of idiot "riders" out there that not only believe this load, but then spread it to others.

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #201
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post

You know, it scares me just as much knowing that there a lot of idiot "riders" out there that not only believe this load, but then spread it to others.

It MUST be true , It's on the internet.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #202
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
//The other day, I was driving (car) along the hwy and before I even looked in my rear view, I heard a rider with his loud pipes coming up. If he was in my blind spot, I certainly would have known he was there. Annoying as all hell, but I would have known./
And what if a similarly loud bike had been right in front of you? A loud car or truck? Nobody would be able to hear anything. So it's all about "Me, me, me."

Of course, the typical HD rider response is "Sport bikes do it too!" But while I've seen many modified exhausts on cars, bikes, and trucks, the only ones I've ever seen who think straight pipes are OK is the cruiser crowd.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #203
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Mfgs of cruisers would save a lot of time if they sold their bikes w/o any mufflers because I doubt I've seen a single one with the stockers.

BTW, CA is cracking down on this but of course, the wonderful liberal experimental state is doing it by fining the mfgs of the after market pipes.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #204
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
I was stopped at a light next to a guy on an HD full dresser. He pulled up next to me at the light so that we were now sharing the lane. I nodded and said "Hi". He scowled and looked away. When the light turned green I pulled away and he pulled away right behind me. A mile or so later he pulled up next to me at the next light, but this time came right up next to me.y.
If anyone pulls up in my line I ask "Do I know you?" Because if I don't, I'm not sharing the lane with them.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #205
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
If anyone pulls up in my line I ask "Do I know you?" Because if I don't, I'm not sharing the lane with them.
I won't crowd somebody , but if they ride like a turd I WILL overtake them , even in their own lane.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #206
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Quote:
And what if a similarly loud bike had been right in front of you? A loud car or truck? Nobody would be able to hear anything. So it's all about "Me, me, me."

Of course, the typical HD rider response is "Sport bikes do it too!" But while I've seen many modified exhausts on cars, bikes, and trucks, the only ones I've ever seen who think straight pipes are OK is the cruiser crowd.
I cannot recall a single instance of me coming across a hardly ableson with stock pipes. Or aftermarket quiet pipes. There's a few toolbags around with earsplittets on their sportbike or supermotars but EVERY SINGLE hd has aftermarket stupod loud pipes.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #207
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
+1
FI is forced upon to meet emission regulations for export permits. And, it takes away the lure of "fix on the side of the road". Could be a deathly dilemma.
/
Since this is an intrinsically off topic thread anyway - when was the last time you heard of someone breaking down on the side of the road due to an FI fault? I've seen one - a 2010 Harley Sportster, first ride from the dealer, that might not even have been FI because the battery was dead when I got there.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #208
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post

Besides the bad advice on the front brake, the rest of it was pretty good.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #209
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
not saying one can't survive without loud pipes. mine are stock and my bike sounds a bit like a singer sewing machine...

that does not allude [??} the fact I witness bikes with loud pipes get more of that attention you mentioned from other vehicles. for the most part in a manner that is conducive to their lane splitting safely./
Sure - as long as there is only one. As soon as there is more than one, everyone is less safe.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #210
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

I don't understand this fear of FI from motorcyclists. Cars have been doing it well for a long tome, and even my SV has given me no problems at all. It also saves yime with dicking around with jets, for which a cannot wait for an aftermarket, fairly priced 2 stroke FI system to come out that i can slap onto my 300.