Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #46
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
I was stopped at a light next to a guy on an HD full dresser. He pulled up next to me at the light so that we were now sharing the lane. I nodded and said "Hi". He scowled and looked away. When the light turned green I pulled away and he pulled away right behind me. A mile or so later he pulled up next to me at the next light, but this time came right up next to me. When I looked over he said "You're lifting your feet up too soon. If you lift them too soon you won't have any balance until you get up to speed".

I was too stunned to reply.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #47
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
I was stopped at a light next to a guy on an HD full dresser. He pulled up next to me at the light so that we were now sharing the lane. I nodded and said "Hi". He scowled and looked away. When the light turned green I pulled away and he pulled away right behind me. A mile or so later he pulled up next to me at the next light, but this time came right up next to me. When I looked over he said "You're lifting your feet up too soon. If you lift them too soon you won't have any balance until you get up to speed".

I just don't understand these guys. Where are they "learning" this stuff?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #48
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,511
Quote:

Quick, someone needs to inform all those trials riders out there that they are doing it all wrong

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #49
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
I'll try to keep this short:

I have stock mufflers on my Road King. One day I was at a gas station getting ready to leave and a mother got out of a car with her young (5 ish?) daughter. The mom hurried up and covered her daughters ears when I started the bike. Once the bike started she gave me that 'hmm, it's quiet' look and uncovered her ears. Later that day I had to stop by welding school and another guy was there on his Harley. He looked at mine and said it's a nice bike, but I need to get the loudest pipes I can find on it as soon as I can before I get hit by a car. When I told him I'd been riding for 15 years, on quiet bikes, and haven't been hit yet he basically said that I was lucky. Walked away shaking his head.

I get asked pretty often about when I'm putting pipes on, especially if I go to poker runs or run into people I know. I gave up explaining long ago, now I just say I can't afford it. That part is true anyways. Rhineharts + power commander + air cleaner upgrade is almost $2000 for my bike. I can almost buy a Sportster with pipes already on it for that.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #50
Flash412
Elk Biffer

Oddometer: 8,596
Links to Forty years of my Adventure RIDE REPORTS
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Flash412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #51
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE loud pipes. Harley riders in general have rubbed me the wrong way way more often than not, but I won't say I hate them just yet. But the mockery of this mantra just keeps coming up lately and I've been thinking about it.

The other day, I was driving (car) along the hwy and before I even looked in my rear view, I heard a rider with his loud pipes coming up. If he was in my blind spot, I certainly would have known he was there. Annoying as all hell, but I would have known.

I'm also not denying that the 'real' reason they do the loud pipes thing is because they are macho, cool etc... But is it not reasonable to say they probably have saved a life or two? It would certainly be less likely to notice me on my quiet bike, would it not? I would think I would definitely notice them approaching from behind before I would you or I in our reflective gear.

Excuse the naiveté. If I'm missing something, fill me in. I'm perfectly willing to accept your side as I'm already leaning towards animosity.
I agree with you here. I mean, just statistically speaking, some obnoxiously loud motorcycle has almost certainly alerted an otherwise inattentive driver to the presence of that motorcycle, possibly preventing a collision. So to say that loud pipes save lives is probably a true statement.

But I could also say "Only riding while wrapped in bubble wrap 16" thick saves lives" and it would be true on the same level. Sure, having a loud pipe has probably saved a few people. But the tradeoff in destroying societal goodwill toward motorcyclists on the road just isn't worth the (probably tiny) increase in safety, in my opinion. Really, that's the issue I think most non-loud-pipe riders have with the Big Bubba Blatts of the world - they're making us all seem like jackasses.

Besides, many modern cars are soundproofed extremely well. With the stereo turned up to even just a moderate volume, it would be difficult to hear even the loudest potato-potato-potatoes.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #52
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,912
Loud pipes might contribute to some increased awareness at times if you are lucky. Remember how well insulated modern cars are from every outside influence and noise, plus stereos, etc are quite good/loud these days. Plus don't forget how many people don't hear ambulances, etc.

What loud pipes will always do is annoy people and degrade the general public view of motorcycling.

Rather than relying on a passive "Safety" device, these guys really should just learn how to ride assertively in traffic and not bobble along like just another one of the cars. I can't tell you how many times I see a cruiser guy rolling along in someone's blind spot for minutes on end without a care in the world. MOVE! Stay visible! Use your space and your size and acceleration to your advantage! Make yourself standout! Jebus!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #53
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 409
I Just got schooled yesterday...

By a H.A. in full uniform (but all sleeveless ) who said .. " who the hell wears a long sleeve jacket to ride in 80 degree weather?!!" as he dismounted and almost tripped on the bull-whip hanging from his handle bar..

Ride your ride..
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #54
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:

Them n00b "bros" alwayz crack me up waddle'n down the road like ducks!
If'n yer too stunned ta reply, just give 'em the "implied" face palm!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #55
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash412 View Post

I want that right now...where,where,where.....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #56
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
While all the people that own Harleys may not be assholes, they INSTANTLY TRANSFORM when they swing a leg over it. Everyday folks trying to act like BAD ASS OUTLAWS.

"If loud pipes save lives, just imagine how safe you'd be if you learned how to ride that thing"

Exactly!!!! A bunch of accountants, office managers, and sales persons playing dress up on the weekends...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #57
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
So when I came out of the Mcdees in Michigan, a lady was standing at my bike,puffing away,and we struck up a conversation about bikes/ riding. While we we talking a group of 6/7 Harley's rode by,all with the loudest pipes possible,effectively drowning us out while they passed.

I commented how much I disliked pipes like that and she quickly rebutted me declaring that " loud pipes DO save lives" because.......her husband had been able to avoid "lots" of crashes by twisting the throttle with the noise from the pipes making front end crashes avoidable.

You mean, like...a horn?

Yeah, I'm disregarding the fact that rider skill almost entirely replaces the need for even a horn in most situations.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #58
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
You shoulda' spoke up....Darla needs the business..
I've been away from the computer for a week but I just want to say, well played sir. I read the OP and promptly went to youtube to get some fashion tips for my lady.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #59
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I agree with you here. I mean, just statistically speaking, some obnoxiously loud motorcycle has almost certainly alerted an otherwise inattentive driver to the presence of that motorcycle, possibly preventing a collision. So to say that loud pipes save lives is probably a true statement.

But I could also say "Only riding while wrapped in bubble wrap 16" thick saves lives" and it would be true on the same level. Sure, having a loud pipe has probably saved a few people. But the tradeoff in destroying societal goodwill toward motorcyclists on the road just isn't worth the (probably tiny) increase in safety, in my opinion. Really, that's the issue I think most non-loud-pipe riders have with the Big Bubba Blatts of the world - they're making us all seem like jackasses.

Besides, many modern cars are soundproofed extremely well. With the stereo turned up to even just a moderate volume, it would be difficult to hear even the loudest potato-potato-potatoes.
Bubble wrap...hmmmm...hadn't thought of that. Insulation value, cushiony, water proof. I like it! But only if it pops super super loud (to save my life).
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #60
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
Im gunna put a cowbell on my 1150....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote