Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Im gunna put a cowbell on my 1150....

Dr. Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #62
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,613
Did someone mention yet that she's not a Harley rider, but a passenger?

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #63
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
. . .

"If loud pipes save lives, just imagine how safe you'd be if you learned how to ride that thing"
Exactly-

Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #64
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

A further thought -

If Loud Pipes save Lives . . . how come the LOUD noise level of aircraft engines does not deter birds from coming too close?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #65
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
A further thought -

If Loud Pipes save Lives . . . how come the LOUD noise level of aircraft engines does not deter birds from coming too close?

Cause they are still running the stock exhausts.

Think how far those birds would stay away if they swapped all the jet engines to run shorties?

You don't see any birds in this video do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKViPG-Gd-o

Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #66
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Loud Noises: The Very Short List Of Things That Are Actually Louder Than Dallas Mavericks Fans

Quote:
the Indonesian Krakatoa volcano, which erupted in 1883 and could be distinctly heard 1,930 miles away in Australia, registered at 180 decibels. Unconfirmed reports from the Mavericks' Game Five win at the American Airlines Center put the noise level at a shockingly high 125 decibels. That's louder than a chain saw, which operates at 110 decibels.
Quote:
At a 2009 concert in Ottawa, KISS clocked in at 136 decibels, drawing noise complaints.

A nuclear bomb. Decibel meters set 250 feet away from test sites peaked at 210 decibels. The sound alone is enough to kill a human being, so if the bomb doesn't kill you, the noise will. Fun fact!

The Tunguska Meteor. In 1908, a meteor fell to earth in rural Russia, flattening trees for miles around. Reports estimate the impact to be equivalent to a 1000-megaton bomb, which would put the decibel levels at around 300.

Whales. The blue whale emits a low-frequency rumble that can be heard through hundreds of miles of ocean; these whale calls have been measured at 188 decibels.

A space shuttle launch. There's a reason why everyone watches these from several miles away; the noise levels at the perimeter of the launch pad can reach 160 decibels. Even at the three mile mark, the level is 120 dB.

The quietest sound that is able to break glass. Lots of stories about glass-breaking sound levels are caused by glass that is old or cracked; a solid sheet of non-treated glass breaks at a minimum of 163 decibels.

An earthquake. A quake registering 5.0 on the Richter scale, at its epicenter, is 235 decibels worth of loud.

Pulse Jet engines are reputed to be quite LOUD.

Bob Maddox’s Twin Pulse Jet Harley Motorcycle

Wikipedia-
Pulsejet

Quote:
Operation

Animation of a pulse jet engine.
Pulsejet engines are characterized by simplicity, low cost of construction, and high noise levels. Pulsejet fuel efficiency is a topic for hot debate, as efficiency is a relative term. While the thrust-to-weight ratio is excellent, thrust specific fuel consumption is generally very poor. The pulsejet uses the Lenoir cycle which lacking an external compressive driver such as the Otto cycle's piston, or the Brayton cycle's compression turbine, drives compression with acoustic resonance in a tube. This limits the maximum (pre-combustion) pressure ratio, to perhaps 1.2 to 1.
The high noise levels usually make them impractical for other than military and other similarly restricted applications.
Bob Maddox’s Twin Pulse Jet Harley Motorcycle
Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #67
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I commented how much I disliked pipes like that and she quickly rebutted me declaring that " loud pipes DO save lives" because.......her husband had been able to avoid "lots" of crashes by twisting the throttle with the noise from the pipes making front end crashes avoidable.
Well, she convinced me. Thing is, I can't afford to be putting loud pipes on my bikes. But I gave it some thought and I think a cheaper solution is to duct tape my horn button down when I ride! Sure, it won't be as loud as most pipes, but it could help. And yes, it will annoy most everyone I ride past, and distract other drivers, but of course it is totally worth it if it helps even one person know I am there, right?
2001 BMW R1150GS
flatland964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #68
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatland964 View Post
Well, she convinced me. Thing is, I can't afford to be putting loud pipes on my bikes. But I gave it some thought and I think a cheaper solution is to duct tape my horn button down when I ride! Sure, it won't be as loud as most pipes, but it could help. And yes, it will annoy most everyone I ride past, and distract other drivers, but of course it is totally worth it if it helps even one person know I am there, right?
That would work more like loud pipes if you put it on the back of your bike facing the rear!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #69
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,393
I was in michigan a couple of weeks ago. I was told by a few to ride the tunnel of trees or route 119 way up north.

I went from south to north. Its a narrow scenic road, not really a tunnel of trees ,but pretty anyhow. Some curves in the road, not like southern NY or the adirondacks. Lake Michigan to my left most of the time.

Well, I heard em commin, so I moved over as far as I could. Sure enough around the corner are a group of large V twins. Right down the middle of the road.

When I got to the end of the road there is a bar. I pulled off to the side on my R1200R still facing the direction of traffic, but off to the shoulder. There was a line of chrome bikes parked in a row in front of me. I looked at my map (phone) to choose my route back south.
Another group came up from behind me giving me the stink eye because I was blocking the nice neat row of chrome.

I picked up my feet before even starting out and did a U turn in the middle of the road. Feet on pegs, exhaust sounding like chick farts away I went leaving all those throttle blippers behind.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #70
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Exactly-

Pretty sure that's a Yamaha. It's definately not a Harley.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #71
Flash412
Elk Biffer

Oddometer: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I want that right now...where,where,where.....
http://www.licenseplatesandframes.com/

Occasionally someone points out to her that she has loud pipes.

She points out that she doesn't have a dick.

Q.E.D.
Links to Forty years of my Adventure RIDE REPORTS
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Flash412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #72
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Pretty sure that's a Yamaha. It's definately not a Harley.
Sadly, the loudest bike I ever heard was a Kawasaki cruiser. Twice as loud and the next up, with an ugly raspy squeely nasty sound to it. Even half a mile back it was nearly unbearable with earplugs in. I finally just passed him and followed from the front.

When I told him later about it, he said he thought it was cool!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #73
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,796
The absolute loudest bike I ever heard was a Ducati 851 Strada. The dude had a set of cans that came off of one of Doug Polens race bikes. Damn thing would give me a headache even riding a 1/4 mile behind the guy.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #74
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The absolute loudest bike I ever heard was a Ducati 851 Strada. The dude had a set of cans that came off of one of Doug Polens race bikes. Damn thing would give me a headache even riding a 1/4 mile behind the guy.
And that's how motorcycle raising started.
No way in hell am I riding behind that guy....

Next thing you know you're riding a 200hp+ 350lb bike with higher pegs so you can get the full lean and realize you are running 200mph everywhere...
Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #75
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
...for fairness' sake, some of the worst offenders are metric cruisers...
No argument here. A buddy of mine recently bought a used Suzuki Volusia with Cobras or somesuch on it. Too effing damned loud for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
...There are better sounding pipes that aren't loud...
I like a nice deep, but mellow, sound. I once had a '77 Trans Am with glass-packs on it. Not horrendously loud, but what beautiful music it made. That's the kind of sound I would look for in changing from stock pipes. I've been looking at Triumph Bonnevilles and, yes, their stock pipes do sound a bit like a VW bug. TORs would likely best fit my taste... Throatier, but not piss-off-the-sheeple loud.

Quote:
Quote:
A nuclear bomb. Decibel meters set 250 feet away from test sites peaked at 210 decibels. The sound alone is enough to kill a human being, so if the bomb doesn't kill you, the noise will. Fun fact!

The Tunguska Meteor. In 1908, a meteor fell to earth in rural Russia, flattening trees for miles around. Reports estimate the impact to be equivalent to a 1000-megaton bomb, which would put the decibel levels at around 300.
For reference, the most powerful nuclear bomb ever exploded was the Soviet Tsar Bomba, said to be rated at a yield of between 50 and 58 megaton. That puts Tunguska in the "HOLY EFFING SHIT!" category.