Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #91
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
In season we get literally 100000's of bikes through our neck of the woods. It's a steady stream all day past my office. For months in the summer. There are 2 paved roads here. One goes north south and the other east west.

I'm a live and let live / ride kinda guy. But with out question I loath the obnoxiously loud pipe thing.

We can be 2 miles or more away from pavement and still hear the F'ng things echoing up and down the valley. Seriously? I need to hear this shit MILES away! ?
Yeah, but you're aware they're there so you don't run into them...
Old 07-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #92
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
In season we get literally 100000's of bikes through our neck of the woods. It's a steady stream all day past my office. For months in the summer. There are 2 paved roads here. One goes north south and the other east west.

I'm a live and let live / ride kinda guy. But with out question I loath the obnoxiously loud pipe thing.

We can be 2 miles or more away from pavement and still hear the F'ng things echoing up and down the valley. Seriously? I need to hear this shit MILES away! ?
Still beats the blaring tunes of icecream cars.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #93
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 418
Those who can't make horsepower...make noise. - me

Or, think of it as the human male version of a male peacock displaying its feathers to attract a mate. Which is fine...if you're a bird brain.

Speaking of the animal kingdom and its metaphoric association with motorcycling, let's talk "ape hangers". On the other hand, let's not. It's self-explanatory.

See what happens when you get me started about those real men (and women), those rugged individualists dressed all alike in their black leather plumage, migrating from watering hole to watering hole, desperately flaunting their over-chromed appendage extenders in a vain attempt to reassure each other of their two-wheel bravado...
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #94
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
LOUD PIPES DO SAVE LIVES!!!!!!!

Not really, just wanted to scream that. I bought a used Harley with V&H short shots on it. They were maybe 30" long with no baffles and OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD.
Thing is, the bike ran terribly with no appreciable back pressure. I honestly don't know why you would do that to a perfectly fine motorcycle. I bought a set of stock headers with slipons for cheap on CL and the bike is so much more enjoyable now.
Now, for fairness' sake, some of the worst offenders are metric cruisers. So please don't blame Harleys for ALL of the noise.
Perfectly fine? They're terrible machines on so many levels. They're like riding an anvil with metal-flake paint. And we still can blame Harleys for all the noise because they started all this dumbass cruiser "biker lifestyle" BS. If it weren't for Harley, there wouldn't be metric cruisers at all.... well, maybe Triumph, but that's it. The Japanese never would have built VTXs or Vulcans or whatever if Harley hadn't shaped the market.

I don't want to attack you personally too much,but these two points really drive me nuts.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #95
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Anyone seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3b_MRimbk

This sums up everything wrong with the aforementioned biker lifestyle dipsticks pretty well.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #96
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
Perfectly fine? They're terrible machines on so many levels. They're like riding an anvil with metal-flake paint. And we still can blame Harleys for all the noise because they started all this dumbass cruiser "biker lifestyle" BS. If it weren't for Harley, there wouldn't be metric cruisers at all.... well, maybe Triumph, but that's it. The Japanese never would have built VTXs or Vulcans or whatever if Harley hadn't shaped the market.

I don't want to attack you personally too much,but these two points really drive me nuts.
You stay classy.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #97
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Why can't you have more then one tool in your toolbox? If you believe in ATGATT, you should want to do add noise, to along with high visibility costumes.

I argue against loud pipes on Harley site, mostly you should not ride at night and early morning, through towns if you have neighbors. I always advocate throttle control.

But I also disagree with people here that say it does no good. Sure as they say you can't hear them until they are close. But I am not worried about being cut off when the guy is 50 yards ahead of me either.

I am against drag pipes, and really don't see many drag pipes. But I am ok with exhaust having some rumble. It is the price you pay to live in civilization, to have to put up with other people. I laugh when people on here make it sound like the poop themselves and veer off into the ditch every time they hear something loud. When I was growing up hotrods had glasspacks and such.

I think you can debate whether I have the right to bother you or you have the right to not be bothered. I think there is a line. If you are nancy boy, lots of stuff will bother you. You are the reason schools have to rename there mascots.

I think alot more can be down by going after guys we rev there engine and take off hard, then worrying about airflow through a pipe.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #98
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:

This up there with the top 50 dumbshit things I have read here.
So do you blame the gun, or the person who shot it? I bet you are one of the liberals in favor of suing gun companies.

Harley sold/sells a product, that people buy. Other companies have said hey, we want in on it or can improve it. This is how we got cell phones and laptop computers.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #99
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
those rugged individualists dressed all alike in their black leather plumage, .
I can order the same costume as many here from Aerostich, Olympia, ect.

How many guys in this thread wearing gray nylon suit?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #100
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Not to mention that I was thinking she may want to think twice about getting on the back of her mans bike....but I digress......

r!
Maybe I could give you some tips. You were talking to the chic on the back of the bike, not the rider. Is this the bar you want to set? Granted, I think lots of you guys are gay, cause you choose bikes a woman is not going to want to ride on.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #101
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
Those who can't make horsepower...make noise. - me

Or, think of it as the human male version of a male peacock displaying its feathers to attract a mate. Which is fine...if you're a bird brain.

Speaking of the animal kingdom and its metaphoric association with motorcycling, let's talk "ape hangers". On the other hand, let's not. It's self-explanatory.

See what happens when you get me started about those real men (and women), those rugged individualists dressed all alike in their black leather plumage, migrating from watering hole to watering hole, desperately flaunting their over-chromed appendage extenders in a vain attempt to reassure each other of their two-wheel bravado...
As opposed to repli-racer riding squids? Aerostitch wearing GS riders whose sum total "off-road" is parking in the yard?

Quote:

People like them. :

People buy them. ::

Harley sells the people what they want.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #102
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Still beats the blaring tunes of icecream cars.
I'll take your word for it, I've NEVER heard or even heard of an ice cream car.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #103
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Pirate

This may be the wrong thread but.... A co worker of mine got a used sporty with some apes and loud pipes. A bunch of guys were going out for a ride one summer night and he shows up with an orange bandanna tied around his face It is like 70 out. A few thought this was cool saying he was "murdered out" I swear to god this is a grown man with kids and a job
Old 07-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #104
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
You're not a Beverly Hills resident, are you?

check this out: http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...100152931.html

Since the electronic revolution the quality of jingles and tunes has declined dramatically.

Good news: when it can't get worse it'll get better.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #105
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
You're not a Beverly Hills resident, are you?

check this out: http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...100152931.html

Since the electronic revolution the quality of jingles and tunes has declined dramatically.

Good news: when it can't get worse it'll get better.
So I guess the kids either stand by the street all day or miss the truck. How are they supposed to know it's coming? Pretty anal if you ask me.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote