Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldone View Post
that's some nice photos that you have there.....thanks for the time....

Gary "oldone"

grampa’s lake superior ride
grampa’s national monument ride
+1
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #18
yyzmdo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Nice RR

I hit the BRP July 4th. Started from Asheville and made it to I77. It was a terrible day, lots of rain and fog(cloud ) so maybe in a couple of years I'll try it again.

Looking forward to reading more of your trip.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
stbob OP
 

Oddometer: 1,083
Day 4

After breaking camp, headed over to Deals Gap...

Checked out the tree of shame and crossed my fingers i didn't end up adding anything to it...

Pretty good size crowd for the middle of the week...

Had seen these folks earlier in the day on 28, most all of them dangerously cutting the corners...

Had lots of fun riding the dragon. Rode it several times back & forth, never gets boring...

I decided i'd spend the night back at the ranch. The tent area wasn't bad looking...

But for tonight a real bed looked better...

Some of the roadside stuff across the way...

All day my arms were itching me. At first i thought just some mosquito bites, turned out to be poison ivy on both arms...
Could of come in contact with it anywhere, i'm guessing it was at the Loft campground though while still on the Shenandoah Skyline...
I was too tired to go out in the dark looking for an all night pharmacy so i was just going to have to deal with it. Then i remembered one of the ingredients in anti-monkey butt powder is calamine. So i took a heaping helping of anti-monkey butt powder and mixed it with some water and smeared that crap all over both arms. It worked, it relieved the itch and i was able to get some good sleep...
I used this concoction for the next couple of days till the poison ivy cleared up...

Here's a couple Killboy live action shots...

The next morning, the start of day 5, i'm on the dragon for the last time heading toward Greenback, TN. Behind me is a lone cager, not really tailgating me but close enough that its distracting me. I briefly think about pulling over and letting it pass but i speed up instead...
Again the cage is keeping up with me. I can almost make out something on the side of the cage. Its early and Killboy camera crews are just starting to set up along side the road, so now i think its a Killboy camera guy hurrying to get into position for the day. Its getting more twisty, so now i've got a good lead on the cage. Finally i reach the end and the road straightens out. I can see the cage is gaining on me real fast, i decide now is a good time to let this guy by. It must of been my lucky day or this wasn't his jurisdiction or both...
It was a Cherokee Indian police cage behind me for most of the dragon...

stbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Thanks for the RR and the beautiful pic's. Looks like fun for sure.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
stbob OP
 

Day 5

During our stay at Deals Gap Ranch, i stitched together the next 300 something miles worth of waypoints into the gps...
http://goo.gl/maps/VuqUM

First stop along today's route was here to jettison some dead weight...

Grabbed a snack here...

Can't forget some stickers...

A good portion of the Cherohala Skyway lived up to its name and took me for a ride through the clouds...

This was another excellent road, looking forward to riding it again one day when i can see where i've been...

With the morning fog & clouds behind me, the rest of the day was to be ridden in some near perfect riding conditions...

Bath time for my mule...

For much of the way i'd be bouncing back & forth the South Carolina & Georgia border till i reached Savannah, GA...

Never having been to Georgia, i wanted to get a better feel for its culture. I thought what better way to do that than to visit one of its museums...

The artist & curator...

After broadening my horizons in Rabun, i continued skating the SC/GA border southeasterly...

I was quickly approaching the last waypoint of the days route. Now it was time to start looking for a campsite. I was starting to think i was going to have to do some stealth camping somewhere along the road but got lucky with finding this place. Had it been a day later i'd of been out of luck finding a spot in this campground, most sites were already taken and the unoccupied ones had reserved signs on them for the weekend...

It turned out to be an excellent campground. Not only did it have a pole for hanging my jacket but also electric to charge up gizmos...

Thanks to the winds coming off the water this was the first & only bug free night i spent camping. Had to block some of the wind so's not to use up too much precious fuel...

Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,956
Great RR Bob...those poles that you hang your jacket on are for a bivouac...to hang food out of the reach of foraging bears... well at least thats what i think they're for...
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
stbob OP
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
Great RR Bob...those poles that you hang your jacket on are for a bivouac...to hang food out of the reach of foraging bears... well at least thats what i think they're for...
Thanks Benny...
Those poles will keep the little critters at bay while you take a fast swim or hike, but they're way too low for bears. And they're not just for jackets, after dark they come in handy for the hanging lanterns too...
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Yeah after I posted that I saw they're not as tall as they should be to keep the bears away...still I like your ingenuity ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #25
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,926
Definite Camping Adventure!!!

What a great shot, and neat camping story! Subscribed!!!

Great report, Rob! Totally jealous (at least everything but the gnats at the campgrounds!)!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,518
Great Ride Report Rob.

Guess what part I liked?

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
stbob OP
 

Day 6

Plugged the rest of phase 1 waypoints into my gps before breaking camp at Hawe Creek. Todays route would be about another 300 miles to the coast near Savannah, Ga and from there i'd make a left and head south to Florida where phase 2 of the ride would begin...

Explored some of the roads around this dam....

Still bouncing back & forth the SC/GA borders...

Stopped here to fuel up...

Stopped here to cool down, must be getting closer to the equator, temps are on the raise...

Time to brush off the cobwebs and put this thing to good use....

Whats wrong with this picture...

Up until Savannah, GA the riding had been some of the best i've ever done. But the last 100+ miles south to Florida will definitely get some fine tuning for the next time. That's all i have to say about that...

End of Phase 1
Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #28
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbob View Post
Day 6
Whats wrong with this picture...

Up until Savannah, GA the riding had been some of the best i've ever done. But the last 100+ miles south to Florida will definitely get some fine tuning for the next time. That's all i have to say about that...

End of Phase 1
That's a sign of distress !

Killboy takes some nice pictures.
They know where to set up.

Nice picture of an Elk.
Glad he didn't eat your lunch! Or drink your coffee.
Could you imagine one of them on caffeine?

The views along the Appalachians are very nice.
They did a great job laying that road out and fortunately no one built a city around there to spoil the beauty.

Love the dragon !

And this stuff of course !!!

Great stuff Rob.

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #29
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

The Cherohala Skyway is a beautiful road when the weather is clear the mtn vistas are awesome. The road climbs to over 5000 feet. when theres no one slowing you down it can be a very fast ride...I do it at least once a year...Tail of The dragon is okay.you just have to know when its the best time to ride it and avoid all the squids/weekend a**holes. And ofc there are plenty of other equally nice roads that almost no one ever rides...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,637
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote