Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Hey! Your kickstand is down! Hey....!....hey...!

Yes, that was today,as we watched cruiser guy pull away after backing out of his parking spot......to no avail as we hear the screeching sound,the bike wobble,brake lights come on,stop the the bike and puts the kickstand up.

What have YOU seen pulling away from a stop that would be the equivalent of the ol" toilet paper under the shoe......" Hey.....hey.......you've forgot to.......".....hey!!!!!........ Never mind........
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,366
Actually watched a guy almost pull away from a gas pump with the hose still in his tank once. No idea how he didn't notice that. I mean, he was in gear and had started rolling before he stopped.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Twice I've seen people in cars pull the hoses off the pump.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,410
I saw a guy the other day coming down a hill towards a intersection with a stop sign, dragging his feet the last 10 yards to "stop" his James Bond BMW.
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
I saw a guy the other day coming down a hill towards a intersection with a stop sign, dragging his feet the last 10 yards to "stop" his James Bond BMW.
Then there are the guys that drag their feet all of the way thru the intersections after a stop.Or the guys sticking their foot out turning on the street. They need rollerskates.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Then there are the guys that drag their feet all of the way thru the intersections after a stop.
I see this all the freaking time around here, almost exclusively to sportbike riders. I really have no idea why they don't pick their feet up once in motion, and it's even more weird when they take a turn through the intersection with feet still down.

Anyway, more on topic, I've actually pulled a few "toilet paper on the foot" moments. I used to wear a backpack with a waist strap, and there were several times I forgot to buckle the strap and find it dangling close to the rear wheel. Even had another rider notify me of the error once by pointing to his helmets chin strap. Ditto on luggage webbing straps. I'm still amazed I haven't managed to wrap my rear sprocket or wheel in nylon webbing yet.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,133
wifes car would not start once and neighbor came over to help and he had a trail of about 6-10 ft of TP hanging out back of his pants
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #8
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Yup, pulled my own. Took off and left my glasses on the rear of the seat after putting my helmet on. Took off with the visor up thinking "hey, my eyeballs feel weird..."

Realized what I did and backtracked. Saw my glasses on the road just as a car was coming. It missed them, and they were unharmed! Got lucky!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post
I see this all the freaking time around here, almost exclusively to sportbike riders. I really have no idea why they don't pick their feet up once in motion, and it's even more weird when they take a turn through the intersection with feet still down.

Anyway, more on topic, I've actually pulled a few "toilet paper on the foot" moments. I used to wear a backpack with a waist strap, and there were several times I forgot to buckle the strap and find it dangling close to the rear wheel. Even had another rider notify me of the error once by pointing to his helmets chin strap. Ditto on luggage webbing straps. I'm still amazed I haven't managed to wrap my rear sprocket or wheel in nylon webbing yet.
yeh I can tell you about one similar but different .lol

daughter 27 now

when she was about 3 I gave her a cuddle and play before I went to work.

somehow she had undone the zipper on my backpack

first right hand corner on the pantah went sideways and the back wheel locked up.

backpack dragged off my back.

lost my padlock.

anyway had a scarf in the bag, it fell out went through the front sprocket

forced the chain out and smashed the case

still haven't told her to this day.

those 3 yr olds are bloody dangerous.

lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #10
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post

Wrapped a compression strap from brand new wolfman e12 saddle bags on the first ride I took them on. I forgot to clip it. I rode some part of 35 minutes with my saddle bag attached to my rear brake caliper. The bag was quite compressed.

If there is a strap, I will forget to clip it at some point.
birds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Twice I've seen people in cars pull the hoses off the pump.
In cars, sure. I can understand that to some extent. The guy I saw was on an older Suzuki GS. Luckily, he noticed before pulling the hose tight, but I have no idea how he ever even got started moving without seeing it.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
oyster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Did one myself

Made a fishing trip by moto once. Changed from waders to riding pants and put both my Iphone and my wallet on the pannier box to make sure I remembered them. I didn't. Both were retrieved from the side of the rural road by strangers and returned to me by mail within a week. Hooray for the good folks of western NC!
Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
ptero
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Mine was just after getting off the Bluenose in Yarmouth. Gassed up and tried to ride off. The centerstand collected the air "ding ding" line, which was secured to the pavement at both ends. It tugged me to a stop. Stupid Yankee giving the locals something to laugh at, after they went "Hey....!....hey...! Eh?"

Ride Hard or Stay Home
ptero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,275
Quote:
Then there are the guys that drag their feet all of the way thru the intersections after a stop.Or the guys sticking their foot out turning on the street. They need rollerskates.
Pavement surfers!

and the list goes on and on
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:

God I hate that.

I make sure that I get in front of them and stall the bike and just park it stopped with my feet up, even better if I have someone on the back. Its a motorcycle, quit driving like Fred fucking Flintstone. There is no excuse unless you are SERIOUSLY overloaded.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote