Old 07-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #31
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie*mark0 View Post
more douch bags to the cause

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+spell+center+in+english

maybe its too many miles on the "brain cell" killing boring BMW's you guys are riding?
douche
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
markie*mark0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
douche
le douche if you're a frenchie
markie*mark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #33
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,073
He wasn't going very fast, based on how he slowed after the step-out. I think he hit something slick on the tar. Although he might have been working his rear brake too much. I've done that many times in the twisties on my dual sport. I am riding briskly and approaching a slow apex. Mine will step out on the brakes going in, and step out when I pick up the throttle going out. But I am on DOT knobbies... Doesn't take much drama with those.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #34
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Hi all ! Standing up was the best thing he did there . Yes , a little too much throttle got him in that situation . We all make mistakes , lucky for him it didn't cost anything . BTW , quit fighting you guys .
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #35
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,289
I have done it a few times and gotten away with it.
Dirt riding practice or slow reactions, but I just kept on the throttle and rode it like a flat track bike.

I also practice locking the back wheel up, getting the bike a bit sideways, then getting it back in line and off the brake. Great fun but rough on tires.

My high sides were all in the dirt, front wheel digs in and flips me off the bike.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie*mark0 View Post
ok douch bag, maybe a bad explanation, but getting out of the seat and onto the pegs helps the bike work less and become more stable.
Would have showed more class on your part to say "sorry mate, that's what I should have said" than calling someone a douch(e) bag for noticing that what you first said was just plain wrong (and rather different from what you eventually said).

Standing on the pegs (AND absorbing relative bike/rider movement with your bending knees) decouples the bike and rider. And that's why it's useful in both dirt (often) and street (rarely, like trying to save a highside). Not for combined CG reasons.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #37
scottzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Chopped the throttle but was going slow enough to avoid high-siding.

Simple.
scottzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #38
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
To answer the OP's question, when the rear end kicks out, do not chop the throttle. Slowly roll off the throttle as the rear end comes back in line.

If you leave too much throttle, the rear will wash out and you'll low side. Chop the throttle too quickly and it will snap back in line and high side you.

Practice sliding a dirtbike and you'll see what I mean... Though, it's not really something you can practice for on the street.
Whoa whoa, your making too much practical sense here. You need to jazz it up a bit with nonsense armchair physics.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #39
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
Whoa whoa, your making too much practical sense here. You need to jazz it up a bit with nonsense armchair physics.
LOL - obviously been here before!
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #40
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
Save it..???

Looks to me like he did it on purpose and was ready for it.

That's exactly what it looks like to me also.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #41
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradluke0 View Post
Hi all ! Standing up was the best thing he did there . Yes , a little too much throttle got him in that situation . We all make mistakes , lucky for him it didn't cost anything . BTW , quit fighting you guys .
Here is a guy doing everything wrong at the same spot on Earth:

Note how tense his arms were and how he did steer left when the rear did skid right (easier to see at 1:50 minute).
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #42
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
This guy lost it on the painted line.
One of the first thing they drill into you in riding school (in Europe) is that a painted line is slick, and a wet painted line is very slick.
Anyway, for people you are not comfortable with sliding the rear, there is always the American Supercamp http://www.americansupercamp.com/
Some of the most fun I've ever had on a bike was taking that 2 day course.
mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #43
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,275
Ok, my 2 pennies on the OP video.
Back wheel started sliding for no reason that I can see. I didn't see a lot of throttle being added at the corner exit. My best guess is that the pavement does not offer a lot of grip right there. As the rear tire steps out, I did see a big, huge?, throttle chop. The throttle chop caused; A) the high-side action which tossed the rider out of the saddle and B) massive deceleration due to engine drag. So, the bike slowed quickly and the rear wheel came back in line just as the bike became vertical and still aimed correctly along the middle of the lane. Thus, the rider only had to make 1-2 handlebar twitches to save balance while he got back in the saddle.

My take is that he didn't so much 'save it' as he 'lucked out'. If he had but one more issue/distraction to deal with, like a cage or pedestrian near the roadway; he might have been overloaded with concerns and crashed anyway. As noted by another poster, he did keep the front wheel pointed in the direction that he wanted to go. That had a lot to do with the success.

A more experienced rider with a lot of sliding skilz might have modulated the throttle chop with a lot more finesse and brought the rear wheel back without so much highside grab. The track racers spend so much time right on the edge of sliding the bike that they get enough practice to learn the niceties of throttle control and little weight shifts to master the art even if it takes them a few hundred 'get-offs' to start dialing it in. As for me and the rider in the video, sometimes we get lucky and save it.