Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Herr_man OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Lowering seat KTM EXC 450 and lights

Hello!
I am looking to buy a used Exc 450 from 2005 with 87h and 1500miles on the clock.
It looked really nice but previous owner is 100kg and has an extra firm suspension, and I'm 70kg so I really tip toed that sucker being 5'8!
Now how difficult is to change it back to the original spring (included) and how much can I realistically lower it with having proper sag and not compromising handling. Since this is my first enduro, I don't have it in me to tell a difference between different suspensions.

My second question is; lights, horn etc has never been used but is also included, that shouldn't be to tricky to put back on right?

I appreciate all the feedback. I guess some of you will tell me that I will get used to the height but since I am used to riding a low street bike I would feel much more confident with it a bit lowered and my riding buddy who is an inch shorter than me also wants to buy one and lower it.

Thanks!!
Herr_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
I'm only 5'6" with a 30" inseam and weigh 190 lbs and rode a 2006 450 exc spring for a heavier rider.
I backed the spring collar off until it just touched the spring and then adjusted the sag sitting on it. I ended up with 125mm of sag when I'm on it and my toes just barely touch or i can get one foot flat.

The exc is so light that I don't even worry about it now.

As far as changing the spring I think it can be done with basic hand tools since the preload collar can be backed off far enough that you don't need a spring compressor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Herr_man OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
So by switching the spring (which should be easy) and adjusting the sag, how much you think I can get the sucker lowered?
Any idea with the electrics for the street legal stuff?
Herr_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Like I said, mine drops down 5" when I sit on it, you can get about the same but I don't think you can go much lower unless you have the suspension sent out to have spacers installed and then it's only 2"Max plus your sag.

I'm assuming you have the euro model so it should all just plug in. My us model has an aftermarket kit but has the euro harness with all the plugs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
ChrisMac
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I just got the OEM KTM Low Seat for my 2014 500 EXC and am happy with it. Claims to lower the seat 15mm, I didn't measure but that is what it feels like. I am 5' 9.5" tall and 160 lb and it makes the technical and tight trail riding more manageble. I got part number 77207940600 which cost $120. I then sold the original seat for $40 on ebay so for $80, it's the cheapest and easiest way I know of to lower the seat (other custome seat options I came across are triple the price and I didnt want to get into tweaking the bike more than I had to). Also, the new lower seat feels like it is made of higher quality material foam/gel. It's not THAT much more comfortable, but it just feel a little higher quality.

As far as lights, I crashed and tore off the original license plate holder, tail light and rear blinkers (among other things ;) At first I was bummed, but the TUSK replacment kit was not that expensive and is MUCH lighter. I didn't weigh the two but I feel like the TUSK kit saved at least 2 lb... maybe as much as 4 because KTM uses a very beefy piece of plastic under the rear fender, the rear turn signals are bulky and have a large bolt and there is that giant piece of plastic that came down for the plate. It was just screaming to get ripped off... and it did! Only issue is I am not sure exactly how street legal the tusk kit is in CA. Fingers crossed. Also, I thought I could install the wiring myself, but it is not just plug and play. So I took it to a mechanic who said it was relatively easy... but you have have to have some electrical experince (i have zero).

PS: The crash that ripped some of the stuff off... or was it the crash before this ? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

ChrisMac screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 10:46 AM
ChrisMac is offline   Reply With Quote