Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
maden OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Question 990 adv r vs standardd 990 adv

Hi my first post in this forum!
I have been lurking around for a while, but now i actually have a question...

I am in the process of buying a new bike. The short list is down to the standard 990 or the 990 r. (BMW F800GS was under consideration, but my KTM heart said no...) My KTM dealer can get leftover bikes from 2011. Same price for both models.

I have some problems deciding. I think I like the r best, but Im a little vertically challenged - 175cm (5,8 ish). Will the r be too much for me to handle? Another consideration is which bike will be best on tarmac? My riding will probably be about 70-30... Will the standard 990 have a big advantage on normal roads and twistys? I do not have the possibility to test ride because the dealer will have to get the bike i decide on shipped from Austria.

My last bike was a 2008 KTM 690 Duke. My dirt experience is some recreational motocross, but have not been riding dirt for many years.

Sorry about my bad english.

Regards
Thomas
maden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I would probably go with the standard model since you're short and will be mostly on the street. The standard model will still be more than capable of dirt road jaunts but will be more manageable for you at stop lights, while parking, and the slightly lower center of gravity will help in high wind scenarios or really twisty roads.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I am 6'3" (~193cm) and have a 2011 R; I don't have any experience with a standard 990. I would say that, unless you are an acrobat AND very strong or can plan to never have to put your feet down, you will not be able to enjoy the R. I had to lay mine over once when I came to a stop on slight incline (driveway); because I had to put my foot down on the downhill side, that was enough to allow the high center of gravity to take over.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Yeah, my 950 Adventure in stock trim was almost as high as the 990 R is and being 5'10" with a 30" inseam I dropped it twice after I first got it. Once on the drive way (same scenario as above) and once in a parking lot when there was a pot hole where I was trying to put my foot down. I raised the forks up into the clamps, readjust the rear suspension a bit, and put a factory dished seat from an 05.5+ on it and its now a lot better. I have total control when stopped, can get both feet down firmly on the balls of my feet (still no flat footing for me), and haven't had any issues with dropping it since.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Sawo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hi Thomas,

Im 178 cm and ride the standard 990. I made a test ride with the 990 R and i felt not save, i could reach the ground just with my toes.
Sawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
maden OP
Adventurer

Thank you for all the input. After hearing from you guys Im leaning more towards the standard version...
Old 07-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 402
On the right track

Quote:
Originally Posted by maden View Post
Thank you for all the input. After hearing from you guys Im leaning more towards the standard version...
Hi Thomas,

I think you are wise. I am 5 ft 11 and went from a std model to an R about 2 years ago. I am about on the limit riding the R height wise and it take a lot of confidence to ride as well as thinking ahead about your stops. I know a guy about 5 ft 7 who rides an R but he is Carlo de Gavardo, he came 3rd in a Dakar in the 90's

The std model does fine off road as long as you are not too extreme, and on the road it certainly handles better due to the lower c of g. You also get ABS on the std model which is good on the road especially in the wet (I believe you get the occasional drop up there in Norway )

Whatever you go for, enjoy it!
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Pumbaa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'm 6'1 and ride the standard. Can flat foot bike when stopping, but don't think I can do it with the R. one of the main reasons I decided on the standard, was the ABS. Definitely a good thing for me on the tarmac, and seeing that most riding will be on tarmac,then not such a bad thing.

Sent from my HTC J Z321e using Tapatalk 2
Pumbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Wookie97
Wow!That was close.

Oddometer: 27
I have the 2011 standard model and love every bit of it. As mentioned above it does have ABS which is helpful on the street but not so much on the dirt. Good thing is you can turn the ABS off for dirt riding. Little time consuming since every time you turn off the bike you have to go through the ABS shut of procedure.

As for the height, the standard version is perfect. Im 5'10" and and sit comfortably with my toes on the ground. I just finished a 3 day ride through Colorado trails and had no problems with the bike not being able to make any of the routes, will add that I needed help from Yellow Pig on some portions though.

Good Luck
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
maden OP
Adventurer

Yes I am convinced that getting the standard adv is the right thing to do. I was on the phone with the dealer today and he will start the process of getting the bike from Austria to Norway. I picked the orange one

Now i guess the challenge will be to stay away from the power parts catalogue... I think I will start off with a tank bag and a bigger luggage rack so I can strap on a waterproof bag. (As mentioned there has been some rain up here lately ) The prices on motor vehicles are insane here in Norway so the panniers will have to wait.

Any other pointers to what i should prioritize equipment wise?
Is the side stand mounting fixed on the 2011?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 402
No its not

Quote:
Yes I am convinced that getting the standard adv is the right thing to do. I was on the phone with the dealer today and he will start the process of getting the bike from Austria to Norway. I picked the orange one

Now i guess the challenge will be to stay away from the power parts catalogue... I think I will start off with a tank bag and a bigger luggage rack so I can strap on a waterproof bag. (As mentioned there has been some rain up here lately ) The prices on motor vehicles are insane here in Norway so the panniers will have to wait.

Any other pointers to what i should prioritize equipment wise?
No and it is recommended you fit a relocator. A few alternatives available but I used inmate Charlie264 's design and can recommend it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=716918&page=9

I would not particularly go for the stuff in the HP catalogue amigo, there are loads of aftermarket alternatives out there for bags and luggage racks. Try looking at the Giant Loop soft stuff, a lot cheaper than the boxes and in my (and many others) opinion a better solution all round. Lighter, more crash resistant and a lot cheaper

My priorities were as follows:

Bash plate (Git from Adventure Spec) It is in fact Titanic spec made from steel
Sidestand relocator
Front crash bars, rear pannier frames, only used as Akra protectors now
Decent aluminium handguards, Barkbusters or similar

Given yiu are Norwegian....heated jacket and gloves circuit!
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Nope, not fixed. Make that your number one priority.
I recommend the relocator from CJ designs.

Enjoy your upcoming bike!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Creekside
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I think the base was a good call for me. The abs has already saved my ass in just a month and I don't mind rain riding. I only have a 32" inseam (not sure in metric) but its tip toes here on the base model, not exactly comforting for gravel, and going with the R it was one legged. Besides abs can be turned off easily when I need to.
Creekside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
maden OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
No and it is recommended you fit a relocator. A few alternatives available but I used inmate Charlie264 's design and can recommend it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=716918&page=9

I would not particularly go for the stuff in the HP catalogue amigo, there are loads of aftermarket alternatives out there for bags and luggage racks. Try looking at the Giant Loop soft stuff, a lot cheaper than the boxes and in my (and many others) opinion a better solution all round. Lighter, more crash resistant and a lot cheaper

My priorities were as follows:

Bash plate (Git from Adventure Spec) It is in fact Titanic spec made from steel
Sidestand relocator
Front crash bars, rear pannier frames, only used as Akra protectors now
Decent aluminium handguards, Barkbusters or similar

Given yiu are Norwegian....heated jacket and gloves circuit!

Is the stock bash plate made of plastic or is it just weak metal?
Also for the crash bars: I see different opinions towards them. Something about more weight and the stock tank protectors are made to take a hit... What do you guys think?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Mor10
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi Thomas.

I think you made the right decision. I am 192 cm and bought a 2012 990R and it can be a bit challenging somethimes.
Mor10 is offline   Reply With Quote