User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
One Lung Wonder OP
Banned

Oddometer: 30
How To Get Those Damned Stickers Off?

I bought my cruiser 3 years ago and because I am an old fart I never really thought much about all the stickers that festoon modern machinery. JFC - they are all over the place!

The wife started picking away at one of them and now it looks worse than it did before. One of the visiting tards recommended brake fluid to get them off...but that may take the paint off my tank as well.

Will a heat gun do it do ya think?
One Lung Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
A friend who despises these stickers uses a heat gun and then cleans the residue off with (I believe) rubbing alcohol.

Good luck.

The Toad
2nd
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
wfrpalm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
You have to get under the whole sticker not just the clear top piece otherwise it leaves the paper stuck to the tank. Once you get the hang of it you won't believe how easy it is.
wfrpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
deadzed
Meat Popscicle

Oddometer: 90
A heat gun or a hairdryer & goo-gone work very well. If the bike has seen much sun, the paint will be darker under the sticker.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence
deadzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Monkeyshines
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzed View Post
If you don't have a heat gun, a hairdryer & goo-gone work very well. If the bike has seen much sun, the paint will be darker under the sticker.
plus one to all of that. better to get the stickers off as early as possible. heat gun could go bad, hair drier is safer. I've used goof off, I assume goo gone is similar.
Monkeyshines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 214
Extreme care must be used with a heat gun, better to use a hair dryer, or even park in direct sunlight. You just want to soften the adhesive.

The best tool for peeling the stickers is to take an old wooden Popsicle stick, cut the end square, and bevel to a 45* chisel point with a file. You've just created a mechanical finger nail that peels stickers with ease.

The absolutely best solvent for the adhesive residue is kerosene. It doesn't hurt the paint at all, and is also perfect for removing tar spots anywhere on the bike. If you don't have any, a citrus based solvent like "Goo Gone" does very well. WD40 works in a pinch, and once again won't touch the paint. Clean up after with soapy water.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 176
Wicked

No harm to paint? Check.
Takes stickers off? Check.
Doesn't cost a fortune or take forever? Check.
What's it called? Simple Green.

Even those "we're gonna tow yer ass" stickers come right off. Get a paper towel wet with it, set the towel on the sticker, and wait about five minutes. Pick at it and the sticker should mostly come right off. Don't let the stuff dry, though, and wipe with plenty of water after. Unlike Goo Gone, Simple Green doesn't attack plastic. It does, however, have a thing for aluminum, so rinse well.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Everything's been covered pretty well already so I'll just add, NEVER EVER let brake fluid come in contact with paint, let alone use it as a cleaning fluid. Any of the other suggestions will be safe. As stated above, a hair dryer is safer than a heat gun. Heat guns are used to remove paint so it's all too easy to get your paint too hot and bubble it. A hair dryer won't really get hot enough to damage the paint even if you try so it's a lot safer to use and will still get the adhesive soft enough to allow the decals to be peeled off.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
DON'T use brake fluid (other than as a paint remover) and DON'T use a heat gun. It will blister the paint almost immediately. I use a hair dryer, lots of WD-40, and my fingernail. The hair dryer softens the adhesive, the WD-40 helps lubricate things so the paint doesn't get scratched, helps dissolve the adhesive, and prevents parts of the sticker you already got loose from resticking. It will be harder after 3 years, and if the paint has faded at all, there will be newer paint underneath the stickers, which will be noticeable. Best time to remove stickers is when the bike is new.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Rubber wheel

Auto body shops sell a rubber wheel that attaches to a drill motor, it will take the sticker/adhesive right off- No fuss, no muss
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #11
Chuck Pryce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Take it to a detail shop and use your wife's credit card on it.
Chuck Pryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,685
car wash
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,872
I have done this a number of times. I prefer a blow dryer. You can use a heat gun, but they get hot enough to harm the paint. Heat it up for a minute until it softens, then it will peel right up. Goof off or even rubbing alcohol will take the remaining glue off.

Use heat guns with EXTREME caution.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,924
A rag dipped in gasoline works awesome to get the goo off after the hairdryer does it's work.

Way better than googone.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=189453_0_0_

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote