ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
MtTripper
San Juanderer

Oddometer: 113
There's a tight hairpin on the Ophir Pass, which would make trailering a bit exciting. I'd not recommend it. It's a good dirt road on the east side, but gets rougher and tighter on the west side, above Ophir. There are a couple of rough spots this year on the west side this year.

Please drive with respect through Ophir... It's a quiet town with loads of kids and dogs running amok.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERRIDE View Post
How smooth or rough is Ophir rd from 145 to 550? Can you trailer bikes OK on Ophir road? It's just a rough jeep road I'll bet????
I don't know that I'd call it "just a rough jeep road"

The shelf you see in the distance is the road:

Red pickup in middle of this photo for scale:

Hope this helps.

p.s. you can youtube almost any colorado pass and find a video someone has taken going over it.

Geek screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 05:11 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I don't know that I'd call it "just a rough jeep road"
Does that mean it is not Sprinter friendly?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,653
I think I could get the Sprinter over Ophir with fresh tires.

I seriously considered it when we were down there a couple of weeks ago.. but my BFG tires are on their last legs and I was worried about slicing a tire with all the sharp stuff on the west side.

Maybe I'll try it next time we're down. I'd only have to back up what... 8 miles or so if it didn't work?

p.s. yes.. I'd poop my pants on the shelf.. especially sitting up so high and looking down over the edge.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
SUPERRIDE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
WOW!!! I can't wait to ride there next week. Thanks guys for all the info.
SUPERRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,004
Roads like that don't bother me just because there is a shelf when I'm riding. In the Jeep I be a little worried but there is plenty of room it looks like.
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Roads like that don't bother me just because there is a shelf when I'm riding. In the Jeep I be a little worried but there is plenty of room it looks like.
isn't it heights that you have the issue with?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,322
Quote:
I 4-wheeled a lot of that area in my old, modded, full-size, '89 GMC Jimmy over the years. That Jimmy had a 106" wheelbase, but it was as wide as a Suburban of the same era. Those trails got awfully narrow in that rig, and they're not much better in a Jeep, though every little bit helps. Ophir wasn't bad at all if you're not prone to a fear of heights on that long downhill with the exposure on the left. Black Bear was definitely more of a pucker factor. Riding a dirt bike over those same places make them seem like a boulevard sometimes.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
isn't it heights that you have the issue with?
Yeah well I don't tend to look down the shelf...LOL You bastard you remembered.....
Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #25
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I 4-wheeled a lot of that area in my old, modded, full-size, '89 GMC Jimmy over the years. That Jimmy had a 106" wheelbase, but it was as wide as a Suburban of the same era. Those trails got awfully narrow in that rig, and they're not much better in a Jeep, though every little bit helps. Ophir wasn't bad at all if you're not prone to a fear of heights on that long downhill with the exposure on the left. Black Bear was definitely more of a pucker factor. Riding a dirt bike over those same places make them seem like a boulevard sometimes.
Yeah in the Jeep I had the worst spot coming into Georgetown out of the mountains. I have a 2005 GC. Some Dual sport guys at the top "yeah man I'm not sure you will make it around the boulder"...ah what do those crazy Dual Sport guys know. Sure even I had the right tires on the edge of the drop to get around the boulder...not even an inch to spare, if the ground gave out I would of been at the bottom real fast. I think I pooed myself that day, same for my best friend.

If the trail is wider then my motorcycle I don't get worried. But Trevor knows, I do hate heights especially when looking down a skinny trail on a adobe ridge and watching everyone basically slide all the way down out of control well except THE ENDURANCE who magically appeared at the bottom like a winged god.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,871
Quote:
Yeah in the Jeep I had the worst spot coming into Georgetown out of the mountains. I have a 2005 GC. Some Dual sport guys at the top "yeah man I'm not sure you will make it around the boulder"...ah what do those crazy Dual Sport guys know. Sure even I had the right tires on the edge of the drop to get around the boulder...not even an inch to spare, if the ground gave out I would of been at the bottom real fast. I think I pooed myself that day, same for my best friend.

If the trail is wider then my motorcycle I don't get worried. But Trevor knows, I do hate heights especially when looking down a skinny trail on a adobe ridge and watching everyone basically slide all the way down out of control well except THE ENDURANCE who magically appeared at the bottom like a winged god.
nope, i was out of control too I'm just used to it is all.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #27
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,322
The "ENDURANCE"...you know...I kind of like that. I've hated typing that hyphen ever since I've known Tom.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Black Bear Pass

MaR- I was in Telluride july 3rd with intentions of giving you a shout but things went downhill (loosely speaking) kinda quickly. Three of us left
Silverton to do Imogene-Ouray-Black Bear pass. Ken wasn't feeling well
so he went back at Ophir. Mike and I rode into Telluride. Our plan was to do Imogene to Ouray and Black Bear to Telluride. I was going to call you back in Telluride. Mike and I got over Imogene and were heading to Ouray
when Mikes bike quit just before the bridge. It was hard to re-start. After a bump start we were on our way again. We just passed the mine office
(house) when Mike said his bike started rattling (DRZ 400). Yep, it sounded awful. I told him it was all down hill from there into Ouray so he sarted coasting down. He started the bike again and tried to ride it into town when it quit altogether after about a 1/4 mile. (I suspect a cam chain). Anyways, I pulled him to the garage at the other end of town
where he stayed til I could get back with a truck. Needless to say I didn't make it back to Telluride. Maybe next year.

Just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about you.

Robert
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,146
No worries Robert. I haven't had a chance to be back on the bike since returning from Canada, but that should change this weekend, even if it is just playing with my boys out at Peach Valley. I am in the process of helping some guy I saw broke down near the gas station in Telluride. DRZ400E. No compression. Cam chain guide was broke and what not. Getting parts overnighted to Montrose and it is with a good mechanic friend here in town. The kid is on a TAT trip with 2 friends..they could have had a major delay coming into the weekend, but if all goes well, they will be pointed to Moab tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully my karma tank is full. I usually need it!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
No worries Robert. I haven't had a chance to be back on the bike since returning from Canada, but that should change this weekend, even if it is just playing with my boys out at Peach Valley. I am in the process of helping some guy I saw broke down near the gas station in Telluride. DRZ400E. No compression. Cam chain guide was broke and what not. Getting parts overnighted to Montrose and it is with a good mechanic friend here in town. The kid is on a TAT trip with 2 friends..they could have had a major delay coming into the weekend, but if all goes well, they will be pointed to Moab tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully my karma tank is full. I usually need it!

I saw them yesterday, out at the valley floor parking right? I almost swung in there to offer help but I knew I'd just end up wanting to go get my working bike and go ride, which would of been bad...really bad. My boss, Patrona, would of killed me.

Good onya Trevor! You going on The Ride this weekend? or are you going on a ride this weekend? I'm hittin the high country Sunday if you can get out. I know I should make it a point to see David Byrne in T-town since I missed the last one, but I like to ride motos alot, so I'm just gonna do that and just plan on putting my fingers in my ears every time people try to tell me how awesome the show was... LALALALALLA, I can't hear you! So David sounded good huh? So did my 300hundy as I went screaming down the deserted singletrack!... Bite me!