User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Stock suspension set up

Hey anybody running stock suspension. What is your favorite setup.

I just switched it from the stock settings to the sport and it is much more responsive in the front end but the rear shock seams to be too hard for my liking.

I think I'm going to keep the front settings and lower the preload on the rear a little.

Anyone have any tips or suggested settings?

My driving is mainly street with the weekends being predominantly choppy gravel roads.
jecklc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Try to think of sag/preload as not a way to adjust your ride quality, but for setting ride height. That's it. So bust out the measuring tape and set your sag. If you can't set your sag properly because there's too much or not enough spring, its time to respringfor your weight (on these adv bikes usually just the front is necessary).

Once that's done you get to start adjusting ride quality with your clickers. If you still can't get the ride quality you want, a revalved is in order.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but hopefully it still helps.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

No that definitely helps. I can deal with the height, that isn't the problem. I just took it out after changing to the sport settings and it seemed a little stiffer in the rear than I would like so I guess I'll probably put them back to the stock set up in the rear.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Or, if the rear height/sag is ok then try backing out the rear comp ad see I'd that softens the rear a bit.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Rodknee
ducatijay's mechanic

Oddometer: 1,959
unless you are a 12 year old girl, the stock fork springs are most likely way too soft. i fiddled with my suspension for 4 months before calling Slavens and ordering a set of springs. they made a world of a difference. you may want to give that a shot.
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

Yeah I think I'll probably just play around with the settings a little bit more and see how it goes.

I wasn't unhappy with the way they were, I just wanted to see if I could really tell the difference...I can.

Eventually I will probably re-spring the front fork, as I weigh about 230.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Rodknee
ducatijay's mechanic

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecklc80 View Post
Yeah I think I'll probably just play around with the settings a little bit more and see how it goes.... Eventually I will probably re-spring the front fork, as I weigh about 230.
STOP! 230? hell, i am 15lbs less then you and went from the stock .48 to .58, you will need a .60 or larger. spend the $120 and just do it... you will be glad you did, i assure you.
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Very easy to do yourself, too
Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Try to think of sag/preload as not a way to adjust your ride quality, but for setting ride height. That's it. So bust out the measuring tape and set your sag. If you can't set your sag properly because there's too much or not enough spring, its time to respringfor your weight (on these adv bikes usually just the front is necessary).

Once that's done you get to start adjusting ride quality with your clickers. If you still can't get the ride quality you want, a revalved is in order.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but hopefully it still helps.
When I first got the 990 I tried adjusting the sag like I do on my other bikes and was getting strange readings. Does it have progressive springs?

How much rider/free sag is it supposed to have?

To the OP. I've been running the sport settings and I'm happy how it handles on the pavement. I have no problems keeping up with sportbikes on twisty roads which makes some of my friends very insecure

Haven't tried the other settings yet.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
990west
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I need springs badly too. The worst for me is the way the front end dives so much under braking. Hoping the springs clear that up and if not I guess it's valving time.
990west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
James Siddall
suspension guy

Oddometer: 176
Use the Forks Luke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 990west View Post
I need springs badly too. The worst for me is the way the front end dives so much under braking. Hoping the springs clear that up and if not I guess it's valving time.
The adventure fork benefits greatly from both spring increase, and from more valving control. Though the function of each is sometime complementary, they have specific responsibilities and both need changing in this case. The bleeds, or clickers, can help trim things in the right direction but ultimately lack sufficent authority to properly remedy the situation.
The shock benefits from valving and springing as well, but is not as bad as the fork in stock trim.

Cheers

James

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
James Siddall is offline   Reply With Quote