User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
random1781 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Another dead GSA - Solved

Hey guys, spent a while reading threads here on my phone attempting to revive my suddenly-dead 08 GSA (6700mi). I'm not quite on the side of a road, but still away from home without more than the basic tools I carry (and without a computer) and vainly trying to get this going in the next couple days.

The story...

Got the bike about a month ago with 2400 miles, put 4k more on with no issue, 6k service with no issues. I'm riding back from the beach in light rain and stuck in traffic. I feel a slight surge in the engine while idling with clutch in. About a minute later I roll on the throttle and it dies. I start it up and the engine speed is all over the place and I get a yellow warning indicator (but only once). Any increase in throttle kills it, except for opening the throttle pretty wide. Upon doing that, the engine sounds really rough with a muffled knocking sound.

Eventually got it moved from the side of the road thanks to the help of some awesome folks. Next day it starts only with the throttle open a bit and won't idle for more than a few seconds. Idle sounds slightly rough for those seconds, but throttle still makes the muffled knocking. White smoke from the exhaust and a faint smell of gas.

Prior to this trip, the bike was parked in the rain only once, but the last couple days here have been nothing but rain, and I've done quite a bit of riding in it. I'm suspecting this might be the culprit in some way

Oil level is fine, gas tank is half full, FPC visually appears fine but I bypassed it anyway with no success. Next step will be to pull the plugs and maybe drain/replace fuel. Upon opening the cap, I noticed some water in the lowered ring around the cap. As I understand it should be sealed, but I can't think of anything else to check at the moment.

Any thoughts?

random1781 screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 02:22 PM
random1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Sounds exactly like what my zx6r did when I got water in my fuel. I got caught in a torrential downpour and the lid leaked.
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
random1781 OP
Adventurer

On that note, is there an easy way to drain or pump the tank on an adventure without removing or shifting the tank? I saw the thread for the GS, but after popping the panels off, I can't seem to locate the lines.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
If water in the fuel is a suspect (good chance), a quick fix is to pour some methylated spirits or as it is called in the u.s., denatured alcohol, into the tank. This will actually absorb the water and suspend it throughout the volume of fuel so that it is consumed with the fuel rather than pooling up at the pump or injectors. This involves no tools and takes thirty seconds plus swishing the tank time. Please remember to tell us how this episode pans out, good luck and good hunting.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
random1781 OP
Adventurer

Because of the still crappy weather, I just tried some Heet and topping off the tank to dilute any water that may have gotten, but no luck. In fact now when the bike is running, I'm getting a red warning light. Since this is my only transportation and my knowledge isn't where it should be, I think it'll be going to a dealer tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
random1781 OP
Adventurer

Guess who feels pretty dumb? As I was pulling the engine sensors I noticed the intake manifold came loose. I guess the cylinder needs that to fire properly or something. Problem solved, painful lesson of missing the glaring obvious learned.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Give yourself a quick bitchslap and ride.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
random1781 OP
Adventurer

And another bitchslap for not contemplating why the intake manifold came off in the first place! After 60 worry-free miles I started experiencing surging and then a dead engine every minute of so or operation until it wouldn't start. Bad sensor maybe? Beyond my ability to diagnose without some better tools at the moment. At the shop, and I took the plunge on a GS-911 for the future.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
random1781 OP
Adventurer

Dead fuel pump controller, replaced for free.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Jisei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Mine too!

Your story sounded suspiciously like my bikes history. Replaced fuel pump & controller and it's been fine for the last 10,000 miles.
Jisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
EvilEagle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Any way to test the fuel pump controller? (or fuel pump for that matter?)
EvilEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,254
Great info! These kinds of threads really help when it happens to someone for the first time.

Thanks!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Izzy3
Freak of Unnature

Oddometer: 141
2012 with a bad fuel pump controller

My 2012 wouldn't start. Fuel pump controller was bad, covered under warranty.