User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Willi-P OP
Just a man.

Oddometer: 706
Sargent low saddle on GSA?

Hey guys, I just traded my '05 GS on a '13 GSA. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam and I can't quite flat foot it.

I'm gonna get a Sargent saddle right away...had one on the '05 and loved it. Sargent offers a version that's .7" lower that their regular saddle.

Anybody try a low seat on their GSA (any make)? How'd it work out for you?
Willi-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,195
I have a Touratech Extra Low Seat on my 09 GSA. It's the only way I could ride this tall beast and reach the ground without lowering the shocks.

Here are all the TT seats: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...ure-Oil-Cooled

Expensive, and the X-Low is very hard, but I have grown to like it :)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #3
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Sergeant low = perfect seat for me.

'13 GSA here....

I am 5.8" and 30" inseam on a good day.

I Had and returned the TT Kahedo X-low,

I Now rock the low sergeant front and pillion. It is a wonderful seat. Am keeping the sergeant for the long haul.

I guess if you are shorter than me and absolutely need that extra inch and don't mind the "weird" way the kahedo makes you sit/feel, go for it, but besides that my vote it totally for the sergeant.

USMC_Engineer screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 03:56 AM Reason: More info.
USMC_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,174
I have one on my regular GS, and my friend on his GSA. Both are far shorter than you and we both love it.

I am 5'8" and a 28" inseam, and have no trouble with the GSA. Then again, I have never flatfooted a bike in my life, so I do not really mind so long as I can get a toe down.

Me on my old GS with a Sargent Low seat.

My friend on his GSA. He is not much taller than me.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Low one on my 09 almost from new, couldn't go back the the original even if it was more comfortable.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Willi-P OP
Just a man.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

One more quick question for anybody having experience with the low Sargent seat please...

Is it perceptibly harder than the standard version? How comfortable/uncomfortable is it? (Guess that's actually two questions.)

FYI, I had the standard Sargent on my previous GS...put over 40K on it...loved it. I know it was comfortable because I could sit on it all day long and never even think about my butt.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #7
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi-P View Post
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

One more quick question for anybody having experience with the low Sargent seat please...

Is it perceptibly harder than the standard version? How comfortable/uncomfortable is it? (Guess that's actually two questions.)

FYI, I had the standard Sargent on my previous GS...put over 40K on it...loved it. I know it was comfortable because I could sit on it all day long and never even think about my butt.
Well yeah it is most def harder than the stocker.... Which is way too soft to support even an anorexic super model. Lol.

It's firmer yes, but the fact that it actually has a pocket that cradles your rear end makes it perfect for me. No more squirming and no more thinking about it.

FYI; the pillion appears to have the same supportive pocket, and as a bonus under the pillion is a "hidden compartment" for papers, etc..

Edit: I just realized you asked about comparing the low to the standard sergeant, can't help ya there sorry.... But compared to the stocker it's worlds apart.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #8
bailer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Well timed thread for me!! I'm considering a Sargent for my '13 GSA as well.

I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam so probably don't need the low version but am considering it because it seems it will get my helmet out of the buffet zone.

The one concern is knee angle I guess but I spend quite a bit of time on crotch rockets and a more bent knee has never really bothered me at all. Perhaps the transition to standing may be not as nice but I am mainly planning road with the GSA so again I'm leaning towards the Sargent low version.....
2010 Yamaha YZ450f
2013 SkiDoo Summit 800X 163
bailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Willi-P OP
Just a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailer View Post
Well timed thread for me!! I'm considering a Sargent for my '13 GSA as well.

I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam so probably don't need the low version but am considering it because it seems it will get my helmet out of the buffet zone.

The one concern is knee angle I guess but I spend quite a bit of time on crotch rockets and a more bent knee has never really bothered me at all. Perhaps the transition to standing may be not as nice but I am mainly planning road with the GSA so again I'm leaning towards the Sargent low version.....
I went up to Sargent today and picked up a standard height saddle.

Good people there. They very nicely let me go out and ride my bike ('13 GSA) with both the standard and low versions...very helpful! Plus, they gave me a 10% "showroom discount."

I have a 30" inseam. With the standard height saddle set in the low position, I'm almost able to flat foot it, but not quite. It's almost the same as my old '05 GS, which I traded on the new GSA. It'll work well for me.

Bailer, with your 32" inseam, I'd think the standard saddle will be right for you too. I'd think the low one will probably be too low. However you make an interesting point about your helmet. At 5'11" I don't have that particular problem.

BTW, I had a standard Sargent on my old GS...put about 50,000 miles on it and loved it. When you find something that works, you stick with it.

I'm looking forward to the next 50K.

bp
Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
CTDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I have about 10 or 12,000 miles on my Sargent low and really like it. I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I weigh 165lbs plus riding gear.

The only drawback is that it cradles me more than I'd like and on longer rides (3+ hours) I feel the need to shift around more than the seat lets me.
CTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I have a Sargent low on my '09 R12GS and love it.
Waiting for Sargent to come out with one for the '13 R12GS --I'm on the waiting list.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
Willi-P OP
Just a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDan View Post
I have about 10 or 12,000 miles on my Sargent low and really like it. I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I weigh 165lbs plus riding gear.

The only drawback is that it cradles me more than I'd like and on longer rides (3+ hours) I feel the need to shift around more than the seat lets me.
I think I know what you mean. In fact i even talked to Mike, the guy who was working with me at Sargent, about it.

I noticed the low seat felt a little compact, or tight, compared to the standard. Comparing the two versions visually, you can see that the rear portion of the seat, the area that's sloped upward, is wider (front to rear) on the low seat than it is on the standard. Mike said this is necessary because the low seat has a thinner layer of foam and is more scouped out.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
bmwrider1946
Young Old Fart

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDan View Post

I tried one on my GSA and had the same experience. I am what you might call a "candy butt" and therefore very particular about seats. That said, the low Sargent somewhat locked me into a position and I could not move around enough. I sent it back. Great company.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider1946 View Post
I tried one on my GSA and had the same experience. I am what you might call a "candy butt" and therefore very particular about seats. That said, the low Sargent somewhat locked me into a position and I could not move around enough. I sent it back. Great company.
Since the sergeant low has front and rear adjustability, I was wondering did you attempt to adjust maybe the front into the high position to slightly alter your riding position?

I have the low and might give that a shot, granted I have no issues thus far with both positions in the low....

And to be noted. The TT x-low is non adjustable to folks considering it. FYI. It is the lowest option out there but....

Edit: and to note my experience with the TT kahedo x-low is, as I stated previously, it is the lowest option, but honestly it feels like you are sitting on a hammock, or a U! Just not right for me anyway. Touratech is a wonderful company and I will be placing another significant order shortly with them, the kahedo x-low just did not work for me, a very well made product though.

The sergeant low is by far the best option out there that I have tried thus far. Coming from a pretty picky guy. And to be noted is that you can p/u the sergeant front and pillion for cheaper than the kahedo front only. Pretty significant.

USMC_Engineer screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 05:19 PM Reason: More info.
USMC_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote