User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
BMW-AF-XIED by Nightrider

Nightrider.com and Beemer Boneyard will soon announce production and regular availability for the BMW-AF-XIED in-line enrichment device. This simple device works with the power of the Motronic or BMS-K to accurately richen the Closed Loop fueling of BMW motorcycles. Open Loop fueling is also richened through the regular process of Adaptation.

(If you already have a BoosterPlug, IICE Air or boosted fuel-pressure regulator, the BMW-AF-XIED works seamlessly with those products and does not lead to a double-enrichment of fueling.)

You can read about the theory behind using the Oxygen sensor to work with the Motronic and BMSK, my Wideband O2 Project in these places:

on ADVrider.com

on BMWSporttouring.com

on BMWMOA.com

Support
Primary support for the BMW-AF-XIED will be through this vendor forum. We have a good community of experts on BMW motorcycles here at ADVrider so as the base of installations build, so should the base of knowledge in this thread.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ordering

The BMW-AF-XIED can be ordered:

here from Nightrider.com, or

soon, here from Beemer Boneyard
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Ordering

The BMW-AF-XIED can be ordered:

here from Nightrider.com, or

soon, here from Beemer Boneyard
Thanks for setting up the Vendors thread Roger. Waiting to hear from Nightrider about then we will take delivery of our first stocking order. Looks like the week of July 22 tentatively. Any one who wants to be notified via email when we are taking orders can email me directly at customerservice@beemerboneyard.com . PLEASE include BMW AF-XIED in the subject line of your email and i will email you a link you can order from as soon as we have them available. Thanks!
Mike

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
HackyMoto
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,044
Thumb

Excellent great work Roger!

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackyMoto View Post
Excellent great work Roger!
Thank you.

About 10 of the first production run units got shipped to me, so that all could be checked against my LC-1 before shipment and as a final QA on the production process.

Some were shipped to beta testers who ordered them, some others went to support new F800 and R1200 beta tests.

That leaves me with two BMW-AF-XIEDs and two Universal Cables. The Universal cables do no come with OEM connectors, but the cost less. To use the universal cable you cut two wires in the O2 Sensor cable, and make four Posilock connections (Posilock not included). It is very straightforward and can always be reversed.

Since it will be a while before R1100, F800 and R1200 OEM connectors will be available for delivery, I can offer these two units with instructions for how to use the Universal Cable.

Anyone interested could PM me.

RB
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

I heard from Nightrider and Beemer Boneyard that another batch of Controllers and R1150 cables will be available soon. R1200 cables are now in the design/check pipeline and should be available soon.

R1100 connectors are a little further behind but a Universal Cable is offered. Below is a picture of how 3 of the 5 wires in the harness get connected to a stock O2 sensor in the absence of OEM Cables.

It's pretty easy really. Four inches from the O2 Sensor Connector, cut the black wire crimp splice to each end of the black and tap connect to one of the white wires. One cut, three connections.

The BMW-AF-XIED has a stock mode so you can return to stock without touching the cable.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
I heard from Nightrider and Beemer Boneyard that another batch of Controllers and R1150 cables will be available soon. R1200 cables are now in the design/check pipeline and should be available soon.
Thanks for posting that Roger. Looks like we should have the units available approx August 15th. We will have 25 of the main units and cables for the 1150 bikes as well as universal cables. R1100 and R1200 cables will follow shortly after.
Thanks!

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

For those who are interested in adding BMW-AF-XIEDs to R1200 or F800, the OEM connectors have been qualified and will be available in the coming weeks. Contact Mike at Beemerboneyard or Steve at Nightrider for availability.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

R1150 VERSION NOW AVAILABLE @ Beemerboneyard.com!

Hi Guys,
Well, it took a little longer than I had hoped but we just received the first batch of 24 BMW-AF-XiED units for the R1150 series bikes. You can see and/or order them here: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1150.html

Stay tuned here for future availability of R1100 and R1200 units, just waiting for connectors to make the plug and play harnesses with. Thanks!
Mike

PS, these work unbelievably well. Took off the Power Commander Wide Band I had on my bike and won't switch back! It is that good!

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
johnny80s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Can somebody explain to me how these work and what they do? Please explain in lamens terms. I'm not unusually intelligent so keep is simple please.

Thanks

J
johnny80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

A way to think of this is to compare getting the best running engine to getting a room perfectly comfortable. The engine has a lot of sensors that its computer uses to calculate how much fuel it needs to run well.

On the the engine there's an air temperature sensor and another is the exhaust oxygen sensor. To heat a room you could have an outside thermometer and a thermostat. So in the analogy, the thermostat and oxygen sensor serve the same function.

The thermometer tells you it's cold outside, add some heat, but the thermostat tells the furnace that the room is at the temperature you want or not, and to turn the burner on or off. In the same way, the IAT shifting device like a BoosterPlug can tell the engine computer the air is colder, use more fuel. The problem is that the oxygen sensor is just like the thermostat. It decides how much fuel is enough. So unless you can change the thermostat the room won't get warmer and in the case of the engine the mixture won't get richer.

Now to complicate things, the government has said something like, "the perfect room temperature in the winter is 64 degrees F". For our engines, the EPA has dictated that engines have to burn exactly 1 pound of fuel for every 14.7 lbs of air--no more, no less (with exceptions for a cold start or acceleration). The oxygen sensor makes sure that no matter what any other sensor says, you burn air and fuel in that 14.7 to one ratio. It's like a thermostat that can only be set to 64 degrees.

So the LC-1 or BMW-AF-XIED are thermostats with a dial. You can select the amount of fuel to burn per pound of air, rather than accepting the amount mandated by the government. Turn the thermostat to 70 degrees and stop shivering, turn the XIED to 14.1 or 13.8 and stop surging.

But remember, on the public roads, only 14.7 is legal. Don't touch that dial.

RB
Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
pklop
shit happens

Oddometer: 71
Great work

I'm very interested in this for the LC boxer!
I want to de-cat the bike but will wait with that until you guys are ready to supply your product for the GSW. Roger i assume you will notify us in this thread when your'e ready and i will therefor subscribe to this.

In the past i did try a booster plug with my 09 GS. It didn't do much for me.
pklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklop View Post
I'm very interested in this for the LC boxer!
I want to de-cat the bike but will wait with that until you guys are ready to supply your product for the GSW. Roger i assume you will notify us in this thread when your'e ready and i will therefor subscribe to this.

In the past i did try a booster plug with my 09 GS. It didn't do much for me.
I wouldn't decat your boxer, wait for the device to be ready. If you would like to be the GSW beta rider, let me know. We should have a unit within the month.
RB
Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

R1100 Version now available, R1200 version in 7-10 days!

Just got word that we'll be selling the complete R1200 AF-XiED package for $379.95!! Should have units available hopefully late next week or the week of the 23rd at the latest. When we get them they will be posted here:
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafo2sema.html .
We have just listed an R1100 version (you'll find them at the link above too) that has a universal tap in harness. This is because it may be as long as 6 months before we will have a plug and play harness available for the R1100. It is a simple tie in. Just 2 crimp connections and one tap connection. Eventually we'll have Posi Locks and Posi taps included but for now customers will have to source their own connectors. Soldering is not an option. This was covered in a previous post somewhere and too long of an explanation to put here. We are getting there
Thanks!
Mike

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Old 09-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Great news on the R1200 product, thanks guys!

Mikko