User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Handlebar misaligned

Ever since I took the handlebar off in order to install risers, my handlebar has been slightly turned to the right while the wheel is straight on. This causes some discomfort in my right hand/arm even during short rides. I have since removed the risers and put it all back to stock, alas, the bar is still turned to the right. I suspect I am not tightening correctly those two main bolts that go into the steering column.

Is there a trick to doing this right? Does the bike have to be straight up while doing this? I had it on the side stand since I have no center stand. Is there a specific torque that I need to be applying to these bolts? I can't figure out what I am doing wrong and it's annoying the hell out of me.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Ever since I took the handlebar off in order to install risers, my handlebar has been slightly turned to the right while the wheel is straight on. This causes some discomfort in my right hand/arm even during short rides. I have since removed the risers and put it all back to stock, alas, the bar is still turned to the right. I suspect I am not tightening correctly those two main bolts that go into the steering column.

Is there a trick to doing this right? Does the bike have to be straight up while doing this? I had it on the side stand since I have no center stand. Is there a specific torque that I need to be applying to these bolts? I can't figure out what I am doing wrong and it's annoying the hell out of me.

Thanks!
Since no one has got back yet, it's a bit odd that adding risers would affect the alignment of your handlebars unless the risers are somehow not machined correctly (and that's a stretch since they would both need to be machined off centre to line up)... If your bike is under warranty get the dealership to realign the forks.

But to answer your question, anything like this should be done with the bike verticle, not on the side stand. Can't remember the torque for the risers but if no one else comes back I can look it up for you (it's included in the installation guide for the BMW Navigator cradle).

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,752
Here's one way the big dirt bike guys do it...Shane Watts (Watsy kickin' a KTM)

Old 08-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Since no one has got back yet, it's a bit odd that adding risers would affect the alignment of your handlebars
It's not the risers. As I explained, I took the risers out, and the handlebar is still misaligned.

As far as bolt torque, the Touratech instructions mention 25 Nm, but it's not clear if they refer to the main two steering column bolts or the four little bolts on top that hold the bar to the risers.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
It's not the risers. As I explained, I took the risers out, and the handlebar is still misaligned.

As far as bolt torque, the Touratech instructions mention 25 Nm, but it's not clear if they refer to the main two steering column bolts or the four little bolts on top that hold the bar to the risers.
Find a flat object that will span both fork legs , it should contact both legs evenly if it rocks loosen the clamp bolts and align them, then torque the bolts evenly

I had to do this after my last bigger oops
Old 08-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Slack all handlebar fasteners.
" LIGHTLY " snug fasteners.
align handlebars to your satisfaction, using varying amounts of force, as required.
tighten fasteners.
It really is that simple.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What do you refer to as 'fasteners'? The four torx bolts at the top? If so, that's not what's causing the misalignment. The misalignment is caused by the two main bolts that are underneath.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, I made some improvement. Those stock risers have some front/back play in them. This time I was pushing the right one forward as I was tightening down its bolt. This seems to be more important than whether the bike is vertical instead of on a side stand, although I did have it vertical this time. The bar appears just about straight now, although I still have some slight throbbing in my right forearm, so it's probably still not 100% straight.

Such a PITA! I wish I never touched those risers.

Pete7874 screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 08:25 PM
Pete7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Here's one way the big dirt bike guys do it...Shane Watts (Watsy kickin' a KTM)

I have this vision of a guy taking his F800GS into the dealer complaing of mis-alignment and the service writer uses this technique while the customer is watching and say:

"Bob's yur uncle, no charge mate"
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
Matt P
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Installed touratech risers and noticed my bars seemed tweaked to one side. Loosened up the mounts to correct along with to remove 2 washers. This did not help.
What did was using a concrete base for a light as a mean to persuade a correction.
I was careful and tapped the tire part on that concrete base. This was in a supermarket parking lot for the exterior parking area light.
My first time over corrected the issue. I was surprised at how easy they adjusted.
I tapped the other direction and fixed the issue.
I had ridden to the market. Not in an effort to correct this issue. I saw the concrete base and decided to try.......Carefully.
Matt P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Are you saying you whacked the front wheel against a curb?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
Wise Guy
Soitenly!

Oddometer: 62
Another similar thread that might help...

Here's a similar thread discussing how installing TT risers has led to excess play or misalignment in the handlebars:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Riser

I think there might even be another thread - or maybe it was on F800riders forum.

I've had same problem since my TT riser install - although it's not severe and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.
Wise Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #13
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNoobie View Post
Here's a similar thread discussing how installing TT risers has led to excess play or misalignment in the handlebars:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Riser
Thanks.

There is a suggestion in that thread that goes along with what machinebuilder was suggesting above:

Quote:
The proper way of checking is a little more complex. If you don't have, then go to a window glass supplier and get a thick piece cut that will go across the chrome on your forks covering as much as possible. I bought a 3/8" thick piece of safety glass maybe 12"x 8" for $10. Place this on your forks and see if it lays flat. No rocking. If it doesn't then you have to loosen the forks and realign that first.
However, I am still not clear how it's possible to place this glass across the tops of the forks since there is an elevated island with the bmw logo between them.

Also, what does it mean to realign the forks? Another words, what do I need to move/push/pull in order to get them aligned?

I'm wondering how much a dealer will charge to have the bike aligned and if they'll be able to do it more accurately than I can do at home with a piece of glass. Anyone knows what the dealer uses to perform this alignment?

Pete7874 screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 07:21 AM
Pete7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Also, what does it mean to realign the forks? Another words, what do I need to move/push/pull in order to get them aligned?

I'm wondering how much a dealer will charge to have the bike aligned and if they'll be able to do it more accurately than I can do at home with a piece of glass. Anyone knows what the dealer uses to perform this alignment?

Pete,

Step back and relax, it's really not that complicated.

As I stated before in more detail

take your flat plate (Glass as Reaver suggested or I have a peice of Aluminum)

hold it across the fork tubes above the fender, below the beak

IF IT ROCKS, lossen the Fork Tube clamp bolts on the triple tree, when they are loose you will be able to twist the fork tube/triple clamp asembly to align the forks and take the rocking out.

Then properly torque the clamp bolts (probably the hardest part of the job)

I highly doubt a dealer could or would do things any differently.

What you are doing is aligning the top part of the triple tree to the bottom Part of the triple tree. If that is not straight you will never feel the handle bars are straight.

If the bar mounts are crooked in the rubber mounts, I usually can just twist the bars while holding the wheel straight to straighten them
Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
70East
Rags,Wrenches&Ramen

Oddometer: 98
I installed the touratech risers on my 13. Initially the left side was slightly higher than the right or the right was slightly lower than the left, however. Enough to bug my on the highway, I couldn't feel it, but I could see it. So I disassembled everything cleaned the bolts, checked the rubber bushings and everything. Put it everything back together, rotating the risers while I'm tightening. Snugged up the riser bolts, installed the handlebar and checked for alignment, couple of yanks here and there, everything looked good. Removed handlebar, torqued riser bolts to spec, reinstalled handlebar torqued to spec. Everything been good since.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote