User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
indio OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Lowered F700GS: rider experience

Anyone here ride a lowered 700GS? I understand there is a factory option to order this bike with lowered suspension. I am vertically challenged (5'3'') and test rode a standard suspension F700GS with low seat today. I couldn't flat foot but was on my toes. It seems that lowering a bike evokes responses that are all over the place, I just wanted to hear from riders that ride lowered bikes either F700 or other? I am into doing track etc.

Also, I am thinking of test riding Tiger800. Conflicted between 800 and 700 dunno which way to turn ?

I used to ride a Ninja 500 3 years ago & want to get back on a bike again.
indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
AdvParamedic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Cool2 F700gs/f800gs

Hey Indio.

I am around 160cm tall and ride the F800. I have it factory lowered and low seat on it and can touch with my toes.

it depends what type of riding you are interested in... If you were going to do more offroad stuff i would suggest the 800 for the front tire and tube tyres...

you mentioned that you were more interested in "track" type riding. I dont know if the 700 is really the best type of bike for that but its ultamatly up to you. The BMW F range is really more adventure type riding rather than track type stuff.

I love the lowered 800 and have had no problems with clearance or "scraping" or anything like that. You just have to think about the centrestand and size stand and that the bike will be harder to put onto the centrestand because of the height.

hopefully this helps :)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
indio OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvParamedic View Post
Hey Indio.

I am around 160cm tall and ride the F800. I have it factory lowered and low seat on it and can touch with my toes.

it depends what type of riding you are interested in... If you were going to do more offroad stuff i would suggest the 800 for the front tire and tube tyres...

you mentioned that you were more interested in "track" type riding. I dont know if the 700 is really the best type of bike for that but its ultamatly up to you. The BMW F range is really more adventure type riding rather than track type stuff.

I love the lowered 800 and have had no problems with clearance or "scraping" or anything like that. You just have to think about the centrestand and size stand and that the bike will be harder to put onto the centrestand because of the height.

hopefully this helps :)
This is very helpful! Thank you. I meant to say I am not into doing race tracks .
Old 05-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
AdvParamedic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Laugh zooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio View Post
This is very helpful! Thank you. I meant to say I am not into doing race tracks .

Haha gotcha. Well i think its a good bike if that's not what your into. Test ride both and see what you like better :)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 377
I had my F800ST factory lowered and I can tell you, IMO, that is the way to go. If you can afford to get the lowered suspension, do it. The handing was great, the suspension was perfect, and I could sit flat footed on it unlike my other bikes.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Tom Morrison
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I was very disappointed with the ride of my lowered 650 gs, hitting a pot hole at highway speeds was a very unsettling experience. As a result, I raised the back with an Ohlins and installed intiminators up front. Now it rides quite well. The trade off being its a bit higher.
Tom Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
indio OP
Adventurer

I test rode a lowered suspension and a standard suspension with low seat. I couldn't tell any difference in handling but then I rode both for maybe 10 miles each. Haven't decided yet though I did prefer the lowered suspension bike.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
I test rode a lowered suspension and a standard suspension with low seat. I couldn't tell any difference in handling but then I rode both for maybe 10 miles each. Haven't decided yet though I did prefer the lowered suspension bike.
Just sat my wife on a lowered F700GS at Irv Seaver yesterday, she is 5'3" and was able to flatfoot it in her boots, so that seems to be the bike we will be looking for...
From what I have read, the rear shock is the only difference. If you throw a regular shock, or aftermarket like Ohlins, you are at regular non-lowered height. And you can buy a lowered shock and put it on a regular to get factory lowered setup...

My plan is to find an F658/700GS in any config and get a lowered shock and seat. Once she is confident on it we can throw the regular shock on and see how it goes..

Your profile just says California, where about?
Matt
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 109
Side stand too

In addition to changing the rear shock you need to change the side stand.

mike
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Anyone here ride a lowered 700GS? I understand there is a factory option to order this bike with lowered suspension. I am vertically challenged (5'3'') and test rode a standard suspension F700GS with low seat today. I couldn't flat foot but was on my toes. It seems that lowering a bike evokes responses that are all over the place, I just wanted to hear from riders that ride lowered bikes either F700 or other? I am into doing track etc.

Also, I am thinking of test riding Tiger800. Conflicted between 800 and 700 dunno which way to turn ?

I used to ride a Ninja 500 3 years ago & want to get back on a bike again.
You didn't say how you intend to ride. If you're thinking street bike a lower F700, F658(f650 twin) or Tiger 800 will all do well and you will be able to flat foot. I have a strong preference for the Tiger 800 as a street bike, but lowered it don't have much ground clearance for off road.

This is my friend Karen on her lowered Tiger 800 "Roadie". She rented a lowered F658 last year and found the steering to be a little "twitchy". She's 5'-4" and can flat foot with the bike lowered 1" using Soupy's lowering links, but note how little ground clearance there is.

In comparison to my stock R12GS

She kept up with me at 90 mph all the way across AZ, NM and half of Texas, but on bad dirt roads she needs to take it easy. Her Tiger is her second bike since she started riding 2 years ago. She still has her Ninja 500 too, but it don't get much seat time now that she has the Tiger which has an extra 25 HP and 2,000 rpm rev range over the F700.

JustKip screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 12:09 PM
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
indio OP
Adventurer

SchillerM, I am in SF Bay Area.
JustKip, it will be mostly street riding & at times gravel & dirt not heavy duty off roaming though.

Long term plan ( next year) is to go on a multi day road trip whereas short term is to ride some lovely roads in & around SF Bay Area.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
SchillerM, I am in SF Bay Area.
JustKip, it will be mostly street riding & at times gravel & dirt not heavy duty off roaming though.

Long term plan ( next year) is to go on a multi day road trip whereas short term is to ride some lovely roads in & around SF Bay Area.
Any of them will do what you want and do it well. Ride them all and buy the one you like the best. I urge you to try the Tiger though. That 800cc triple is amazingly smooth and revs to 10k rpm, where the F700 vibes get intrusive above 5500. Power seems to be the same at lower revs, but the triple keeps going waaaay past the comfortable rev range for the BMW 800 twins. The twin is a better motor for off road.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Does the Tiger 800 come from factory with lower seat and lower suspension? Or do you have to lower it yourself?

I gotta give BMW credit for giving an option for shorter people where you're on on your own messing with your bike with other bike manufactures. That one of reasons BMW got my money, I came in the dealer sat on my lower F640GS and was able to tip toe, it was pretty much a sell at that point. Beside that I love my F650GS, it rode very much a like big mountain bike.
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
ktownbobski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Hi, here's a copy of a response i made to a very similar question on another forum. hope it helps.
Hello everyone, just joined and this is my first post/reply! I picked up my low suspension and low seat F700GS in early April and have about 700klm of on and off road riding as experience on it. I'm a senior rider (+65) and because of that I think some of my requirements for a motorcycle (as strange as it may seem) might be the same as someone of a smaller stature. My previous bike was a Yamaha FZ6R and I've only been riding for four years (late starter). I love the F700GS! I have a 30" inseam and can easily flat foot on both sides at the same time, and on most canted surfaces, and easily walk the bike into the garage, parking spots, etc.. It feels like the bike has a low center of gravity which makes low speed turning and balancing at parking lot speeds very manageable, the handlebars are fairly wide. The seat is wide enough at the back portion of the riders section to support my boney old butt well but narrow enough at the front so it doesn't feel like it's restricting my reach to the ground. It's not 'quick' like my FZ6R but has more torque and much more pleasing engine characteristics and feels very 'planted' on the road at all speeds so far (still in break-in period). It's about as light and light feeling a bike as you're likely to find for an 800cc, but it's still and 800 . . so it would require a strong athletic 5'2" and 100lbs to feel safe and comfortable on it . . but that's my only caveat . . great fun bike to ride! Hope this helps. If there's anything else specific you'd like comment on just let me know and I'll be glad to offer my opinion.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
Does the Tiger 800 come from factory with lower seat and lower suspension? Or do you have to lower it yourself?

I gotta give BMW credit for giving an option for shorter people where you're on on your own messing with your bike with other bike manufactures. That one of reasons BMW got my money, I came in the dealer sat on my lower F640GS and was able to tip toe, it was pretty much a sell at that point. Beside that I love my F650GS, it rode very much a like big mountain bike.
Very valid points, and here's another. The F700 is a few hundred cheaper than a Tiger 800, and that's before you spend a couple hundred on lowering links and sidestand.

And "ktownbobski" above makes some good points too. The F700 handles better than the Tiger at low speeds. That's very important to new riders, people without much upper body strength, women, older riders...

The Tiger is more fun for experienced riders in the twisties, but it's not the only game in town by any stretch of the imagination.