ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
How many watts are left for accessories ktm990adv

Hi, I have a 2012 KTM 990 Adv. From what I could find it has a 450 Watts alternator.
I would like to know how many Watts are available for accessories.
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyork View Post
Hi, I have a 2012 KTM 990 Adv. From what I could find it has a 450 Watts alternator.
I would like to know how many Watts are available for accessories.
It's not clear how many watts are available. Too many elements come in the picture. What headlight do you have, how much does it draw when you switch from low to high. At what rpm do you want to know what the wattage is?
Do you have a MOSFET or the stock one? Etc....

I think it might be easier to know what you want to put on the bike and there enough inmates here that can give you some feedback. Myself included considering all the mods I have made to mine.

Just my opinion...
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Thanks for your reply.
I have added to the bike KTM's heated grips, a couple of USB outlets for my phone and GPS and PIAA 510's auxiliary lights.
PIAA's came with 35w bulbs, one of them burned out and was wondering if the electrical system will handle two 55w bulbs instead of the 35w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
It's not clear how many watts are available. Too many elements come in the picture. What headlight do you have, how much does it draw when you switch from low to high. At what rpm do you want to know what the wattage is?
Do you have a MOSFET or the stock one? Etc....

I think it might be easier to know what you want to put on the bike and there enough inmates here that can give you some feedback. Myself included considering all the mods I have made to mine.

Just my opinion...
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 747
The Adventure has more watts left than most bikes. Way more than my FZ1. Best bet is to install a quality digital volt meter. You can monitor the voltage drop as you add accessories. My rule is to never let the voltage drop below 12.5v

On my 950 I'm only pushing the limit when running heated jacket + pants and the fog lights.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
990 R power budget question

I am on a new lighting plan for my 990r.

1 existing Baja Designs 8" ONX LED bar. 42 watt draw

Want to replace existing OEM headlight with 2 BD Squadrons 42 watts X 2

I occasionally use the oem power outlet to charge phone, Cardo G9

I power my Garmin GPS wired into the acc1

In your collective experience, will my 990 system keep up with this demand?

Thanks for your input
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 773
I have 55w aux lights and a Euro Headlight on mine, and I can run all the lights, along with a 12v GPS/Phone charger without any problems. Funny about the aux lights - they're cheap $30 lights from some autoparts store. I totally dislodged / broke the bulbs and replaced them with nicer silvania ones. They're now brighter than the Sun haha.

I did leave the aux lights on accidentally last week for about 30 min while the bike was off, and it totally killed my battery. I think it's more that my battery is old than anything else.

GoGoGavin41 screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 12:14 PM
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
daysgoneby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
For peace of mind you could add something like this
http://www.clearwaterlights.com/infopg_cvs.html
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #8
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
I just installed the Spark Bright Eclipse 8 voltage monitor, it's compact, waterproof and auto dimming. It costs about $23 for this "smart" idiot light voltage monitor. http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/product...clipse810.html
Old 03-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I think you'll find that with the stock equipment including grip heaters you will be using up the output of the stator. The battery and the load are in parallel so that if the load is more than the output of the stator then it draws from the battery, load cycles off it puts back the amps in the battery. If you have a good battery it will take this, but if the battery is weak then you will have issues.

GPS draw next to nothing and on mine it is protected by a 1 amp fuse so the load will never cause any issues on a running bike.

Additional riding lights etc, do add a substantial load to the stock system on any bike. When you convert your wattage to amps you are going to be in the area of 30 amps for your 450 watts. If you check in your operators manual or service manual it will show you the fuse rating for each item on the bike, these are maximum values before the fuse blows, so your actually load will be about 10 % less. So if you do the math it will give you some idea of your stock load.