User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
DEPARKER1817 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
OK, Hosers can you tell me where to go?

I am from North Carolina and I am planning a motorcycle trip to the Eastern Canadian Providences of Canada. I will be traveling with my sister and brother-in-law (two bikes, a Ducati and a Can-Am Spyder, 2 up). We will be traveling the second and third weeks of September. We plan to tent camp as much as possible. None of us enjoy dirt, so most of our riding should be on pavement.
Any advice, must ride roads or must see places? Is this a good time? I can put up with the polo bears and mooses but would like to avoid the black flies.
Thanks for any advice mates.
DEPARKER1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,620
I'd start sweeping the Atlantic provinces, make a point of visiting the Cabot trail, all kinds of camping and lots of twisties with good vistas.
You can spend a month there but once you get aquainted with a couple of maps you can plan your route/duration accordingly.
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Which Provinces are you going to visit? The coastlines of all of them are really great but slow your trip down. On the Nova Scotia mainland there's major highway all the way around the outside with the small coastal roads off of them. If you go to Cape Breton make sure you go to Louisburg to visit the Fortress as well. Post where you think your going and people will be able to help better.

Cheers and welcome to the Maritimes

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
The highlights IMHO are the Cabot Trail, The Gaspe and the city of Halifax harbor on a nice day. The Gaspe route is north of the Atlantic region but about a two day excursion and worth it. It is all coastal with some internal routes to spice things up. No one there can or will speak English to you. There is New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia in the Atlantic region. PEI is a small island, it is a tourist trap in a way, and not that cheap(I go there every year). The main attraction is potatos, fields of potatos. The people are really friendly and you will like the experience but there is nothing there to knock your socks off, not exactly motorcycle paradise. Nova Scotia is very coastal and there are a few routes to take that will weave around the coast in a manor of speaking. These coastal routes are really slow going, roads are not great. Nova Scotia is the main attraction for almost everyone. New Brunswick has a few nice things to see, Fundy Park, the Rocks, the interior is nice but most people pin it and go on through. Personally I don't like the coastal routes as the Acadians have three of their flags on every house and no New Brunswick or Canadian flags but that is just me. They don't appear to be very patriotic.

Generally September is the best month to come here. Later on the leaves are changing and that is nice. Also the weather can be a bit better, less rain but not too cold during the day.

There are very few gravel roads in this area. Not to say the pavement is good, the road is hard toped but mostly rough off the main roads. It has been patched a few dozen times and wasn't good to start with.

This isn't exactly the most positive post you could find about the area but it is basically honest. Come here and enjoy the place. You will enjoy the time you spend here. There are lots of fellow Americans that come here and enjoy it. In Canada we have the Snow Birds, who go south in the winter, we now have many Americans who come here during the summer to get away from the HEAT.

Edit: I wouldn't worry about wild life too much while camping. DON'T bring a GUN with you! There are moose in N.B. but not that common, the deer in N.B. are mostly starved out in the winter snows, don't know about N.S. deer. I never ride after dark and don't recommend it. There are many skunks, porcupine and racoons that will wreck you day. Also it is nice to see the tides in northern Nova Scotia/Southern N.B. they are the highest in the world.
2004 Honda XR400R

JimmieA screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 05:47 PM
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,570
While in New Brunswick, you definitely have to see the Hopewell Rocks. Its worth a visit. However, most of my riding in NB is either Slab or Dirt...so I'm not experienced enough to give you good advice there.

In Nova Scotia, mark these places on your Map:

The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton

Route 19 in Cape Breton and stop at the ONLY single malt scotch distillery in North America

Shore Road to the Cape George Lighthouse

SlowPhil's House in Kingsport

Parrsboro and Advocate Harbour

The Annapolis Valley - and the Harbourville Schnitzelhaus (Yum)

Baccaro Point Lighthouse

Hwy 3 from Barrington to Bridgewater

And that'll just get you started....

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
DEPARKER1817 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks

Thank you for your input and the ride reports.Anymore advise, keep it coming. We are planing our trip right now. I hope to make it all the way to Cape Spear. The Trans Labrador Highway is on my Bucket List, but that will have to be for another time. My Brother-in Law on the Spyder got freaked out last year when he got buffalo shit on is bike in Custer National Park. Spent an entire day trying to find a car wash.
The Gaspe sounds very interesting, I was wondering about that.
Thanks so much.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
eldog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Are you starting your trip on the bikes from NC or trailering them up part way? If you are riding from NC it looks like most of your mileage will still be in the States as it is 900 miles each way to any of the border towns.

It looks like you could start a loop from NY into eastern Ontario around Kingston, or from Vermont into the eastern townships of Quebec or from Maine into New Brunswick. Have you chosen one of those yet?

One idea might be the ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia. This rider's thread follows that route into Canada. Warning, it is a good read:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491784
eldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
DEPARKER1817 OP
Studly Adventurer

We plan to slab it up I 81 to NY and then head east to Maine. Make a loop back to Niagara and slab it home. Hopefully there will be no trailer-ing.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
If you do decide to go to the Gaspe you could consider going north into Quebec City and heading east on the north side of the Saint Lawrence River and taking one of the ferrys, say to Methane on the south side of the river and start the Gaspe that way. The north side of the the river is nice. Again very little English. The St. Lawrence River is wide enough at that point that it takes 3 hours to cross and you can't see land from either side while in the middle. You should make reservations. This side trip wouldn't add a lot of time to the trip but the ferry would slow you down. Interesting is that one of the ferries start at Bay Comeau which is the start of the Trans Labrador Highway at the Quebec end. If you wanted to you could take a short ride up to the dams, it is all pavement to that point and they are impressive. I think there are 5 dams I have only seen the one called Manic 5. This could easily add a day(or waste a day) of your trip. At the other end of the Gaspe you would come out at Campbellton, New Brunswick. At that point you could burn super slab to make time or take the coastal route on the North Shore of New Brunswick, or go inland but you could hit a bit of gravel that way. I have never done this but if it turned out that you hit Quebec City near night time it is supposed to be a wonderful place to explore, like 1800's in the old city.

If you have never been to Canada I am sure you will enjoy it and come visit us again. We are closely related to the USA in history and background but different in many ways. People on the east coast are mostly really relaxed.

Above a person mentioned the Hopewell Rocks, as I did as well. The important thing to consider if you go there is time the trip with the tides. The tides are the story. They are up to 40 feet in water level change and you can see nothing but water or see the rocks if you time it right.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 44,888
Hosers?

Go thataway until a moose gets in the way, then turn.

You're welcome.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPARKER1817 View Post
...hope to make it all the way to Cape Spear.

Unless there's another Cape Spear, Newfoundland adds quite a twist in terms of logistics and time to your trip. Highly recommended but don't shortchange yourselves by rushing it. Two weeks prolly isn't enough time.

If you make the Cabot Trail suck it up and do the 8 kilometers of dirt road out to Meat Cove.

Camp there if you can.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 371
If you make the Cabot Trail suck it up and do the 8 kilometers of dirt road out to Meat Cove.

Camp there if you can.[/QUOTE]

Second the trip to Meat Cove. A couple of pic's to whet your appetite.

Well worth the trip for campsite views & mussels (lobster too!)

TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
eldog
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPARKER1817 View Post
We plan to slab it up I 81 to NY and then head east to Maine. Make a loop back to Niagara and slab it home. Hopefully there will be no trailer-ing.
Ok, so you'll come into Canada around Fredericton and as the slab flies it is about 900 miles straight to Niagara. But you're planning on legging further east into Nova Scotia first, before heading back west to Niagara?

Have you been up to Canada before, if so, which areas did you see or like? Do you have a preference for slab or scenic routes once you are here? And last are you craft beer people (been to Asheville, oh boy!), wine people, certain kind of restaurant people, like museums, history, etc? Then we can fine tune for you.

Two pain in the necks I see on your loop are passing through Montreal and worse, Toronto on your way to Niagara. Think LA type traffic, so time of day or day of week can be important.

The east coasters have already chimed in, but they are typically the friendliest of us. I'll try and be one of those that comes up with ideas in the Quebec City to Niagara corridor.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
eldog
Adventurer

Unless there is something special about Niagara (the wine?) or wanting to see a big city like Toronto (nightlife?) I'd suggest hopping back into the States at Watertown and heading home from there.

Ontario stays pretty west of the Watertown crossing through Kingston and Prince Edward County but once you hit Newcastle is a slabbing grind until you hit Hamilton on the other side. The exception is if you head north out of Belleville and go up and across through the Kawarthas and do the Georgian Bay loop, through Manitoulin and then down the Bruce Peninsula west of Toronto to Niagara. This detour is about three days.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
DEPARKER1817 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Again

I have ridden a motorcycle twice to Canada back in the late 70's. Timmins to Quebec City. And yes Montreal and Toronto was a hand full then, it probably ain't any better now. My sister and brother-in-law haven't seen Niagara, so I wanted to see that on the way back. Want to spend my quality time (ie scenic) in the Maritime Providences and hopefully New Newfoundland and Labrador. Never been east of Quebec City.
I especially enjoy the experience of local foods, beer and people.