Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,529
Here on "The Rock" it will take you two days riding and two night ferry crossings just to slab it to Cape Spear to say you were here from the mainland. During this time you will see nothing but blacktop and gas stations. You will miss the Cod Tongues and the moose burgers. A week will get you started but after that you will want more.
Please come and enjoy scenery like no other place in the world and 500 years of history but 2 days ain't gonna cut it.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,073
Montreal is no longer the big problem to transit. Autoroute 30 is now open, all the way to Valleyfield. So you stay on the South Shore, no need to get on then off the island of Montreal. It is a toll at the Valleyfield end. Well worth the money.

Latest garmin update doesn't have that yet. Check Google maps.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Montreal is no longer the big problem to transit. Autoroute 30 is now open, all the way to Valleyfield. So you stay on the South Shore, no need to get on then off the island of Montreal. It is a toll at the Valleyfield end. Well worth the money.

Latest garmin update doesn't have that yet. Check Google maps.
That is good to know Jim!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,289
Been to Newfoundland twice now, the last just a month ago which was after crossing the Trans Lab with my truck camper. September is nice but plan on plenty of moisture and note that the Nfl/Lab provincial parks close in September. I'd shoot for the Cabot Trail and then spend plenty of time on the Rock. The Prov Parks are nice, everyone is terrible friendly. Gros Morne is cool and think about going to the Viking site by St. Anthony, great tour. Cape Spear, etc is worth it as well. Blow me down park is very nice, and off course there is Dildo Park. IMHO dump Niagara, avoid touristy Quebec, Fundy is over rated (especially those silly rocks ), and if you want good sights and pleasant interactions take the ferry to the rock, just 7 hours!
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
I think you need to narrow your travel plans unless you want to drive like crazy for the whole time. First off the list would be Newfoundland due to the ferry delays etc. NFLD is easily a 2 week trip by itself and that could be 2 weeks on the west coast and another 2 weeks on the east coast. You should go to NFLD but not on this trip. The idea of going to Ontario is another really long trip, likely 1500 miles from Cabbot trail. If your coming all this way take the time to enjoy the local sights. This area has some interesting things to see.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldog View Post

One idea might be the ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia.
The Maine to Yarmouth, NS ferry service has been shut down since 2010+/-. You can grab a ferry from Saint John, NB (not St. John's, NL) to Digby NS - depending on which parts of NS you want to ride, it may or may not save you any time and or miles.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #22
DEPARKER1817 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Google Says

Google says I can make it in 40 hours.......so 40 up 1 hour to pee and 40 back. That is 81 hours

I have sense been doing some preliminary route planing and going all the way to NF is doable but not realistic. Last year our plan was to ride to Banff but we only made it to Billings Wyo. We "wasted" to many riding hours eating ice cream and talking to locals.
Looks like we are going to concentrate on the Maritime Providences.
Thanks JimmieA
DEPARKER1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
eldog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPARKER1817 View Post
Google says I can make it in 40 hours.......so 40 up 1 hour to pee and 40 back. That is 81 hours

I have sense been doing some preliminary route planing and going all the way to NF is doable but not realistic. Last year our plan was to ride to Banff but we only made it to Billings Wyo. We "wasted" to many riding hours eating ice cream and talking to locals.
Looks like we are going to concentrate on the Maritime Providences.
Thanks JimmieA
My backyard is more of the Toronto to Cornwall area and I have travelled the Montreal / Quebec city area on both sides of the rivers and there are some neat things there that may be within reach inbetween the Gaspe before heading south again.

If you wanted to post a image of a google map with maybe a first draft loop, some of us may start yelling out things to see and do along it.

Don't worry about Niagara this trip. The falls are still falling and the wine is still wining.
eldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
In NFLD it is basically a 2 lane not divided highway. It most likely goes through every small town on the route so reduced speed limits. Add to that summer construction delays and say 10 hours lost each way with the ferry and you have lost a lot of time. When the ferry unloads there is a huge traffic line up for miles so slow going for that both ways. And of course motor homes that want to do 50 MPH. In NFLD you would be suicidal to ride after dark due to high moose populations.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #25
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
It's good to see that you realized you can't do all the Atlantic provinces in 2 weeks. But when it comes to Nfld, the only real advice you need is that you absolutely have to get off the TCH is you want to see scenery and get a real feel for the place. Save Nfld for another trip, and plan on at least two weeks there.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #26
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

Oddometer: 197
Nova Scotia is fun to tour on a bike, and easy. NB can be OK, but you have to do your homework. PEI is not very twisty, but the roads are mostly fairly safe (no deer!!!!!!!) and cop-free. It's a fun place to visit on a bike, but not a bike destination, if you catch my drift.

If I had two weeks in the Maritimes, I'd spend a week in NS, 3-4 days in NB's Fundy coast and Kingston Peninsula/Saint John River areas, and maybe two days in PEI. Best roads on the Island are on southwest coast, IMHO, but the nicest area is the North Shore, from Rustico east. Not a great area to ride, but OK, and most roads will take you to a beautiful beach.

In my opinion, NFLD blows NB and PEI away and is at least as good as NS. I did 6000 kms in 10 days in NFLD last year, and didn't see half of the good stuff. You really need a month to see it all, and at least a week to just do the southern stuff (Burin Peninsula, Irish Loop, Harbour Breton).
Kawazacky is offline   Reply With Quote