ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,343
Out to Nevada... again

We love it out there. So much to see, so much we haven't seen. Any one have any information to share? We plan on hitting any hot springs along the way, and I haven't looked for those yet but I have a couple online resources to check out.

Last time a late turn put us in High Rock Canyon, which was on the cusp of our comfort level riding a KTM 950 and GS1200. Short bits of sand is ok, but would rather avoid them. We are still learning skills on water crossings, but figured out a lot in High Rock, and hopefully this time of year should be ok for us.

Here is out tentative map, subject to change on the fly. It begins in Black Rock, we are going to shoot straight out there on the slab. My specific question is about our I-80 slog. Any good way around it? Seems that area north is sketchy as far a decent dirt roads goes. Any other input or criticism is appreciated.

View Nevada 2013 in a larger map

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
I just did a huge loop of nevada .1300 miles in 6 days-Modesto Ca to Jarbidge and back.Except for using Countdown's smts track out of the back of Berlin-Ichtyosaur State Park to Carver's everything else was big bike(gs,990adv) cool.I only ended up on i80 for 15 miles from Golconda to Winemucca.Any dirt road listed on the AAA map will work-alot are graded due to mining activity.I rode county 48&49 from Gerlach to Winemucca.I found it kind of boring but better than pavement.From Golconda I rode 789& 18 to Midas and Tuscarora.Then north on 226 to east on 732.On 732 about 2.5 miles east of 226 there is a nice unused campgound if needed.732 ends at 225.run 225 south for a mile or so and hit 746 if you want to go to Jarbidge.All this stuff is on the aaa map.Jarbidge is a must see-the road winds through aspen groves and over looks a huge lush valley.I rode this route east to west from Jarbidge back to Cali.I would not do it again on my dualsport.Except for 732 I found it boring and hot.I would use tracks that run along the Idaho-Nevada border.This was my first trip using my gps and had some minor glitches-I am an old school map kind of guy.On the 3rd day I rode from Eureka to Jarbidge via Ruby Marshes/Deeth and that was a nice ride but a long day.I missed a good hot spring close to Diana's Punch Bowl by not checking my gps.The gas station-mini-mart at Carvers makes good sandwiches.The Outdoor Inn in Jarbidge makes home-made ice cream and has rooms if needed.

oldxr screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 12:16 AM Reason: added info
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
rjnutt
Desert tortoise

Oddometer: 239
Getting off I-80

Take the Midas Rd. at Golconda and keep on it until SR226. Then take either Jack Creek or Maggie Creek over to SR225. Both drop you out near Wildhorse Reservoir. If you did High Rock Canyon you will laugh at these roads. Most are minimum maintained County Rds. Servicing Ranches...about like the main road into Soldier Meadows.
rjnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Thanks guys! Laughing is what we want. I almost cried at one point on High Rock. We were in to deep for turning back and had to do a deep steep water crossing.

My Ride Reports
Old 08-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
rjnutt
Desert tortoise

Oddometer: 239
More Suggestions/comments

Like Oldxr said, don't miss Jarbidge. I love that area, we used to run cows in Charleston so I got to spend a lot of my summers up there when I was a kid...good times. Well, enough of memory lane. I see you are detouring up Lamoille Cyn. Excellente! Seeing it is worth the trip itself, especially if you hike a little after reaching the trail head. Look at my smugmug, robnuttall.smugmug.com in the sheep hunt album to see some of the scenery.

The only other route change I would suggest is to head north toward Austin after you come over the pass from Monitor Valley to Smoky Valley. Then either go up Kingston Cyn. down Big Creek into the Reese River Valley or to US50 through Austin to Reese River. I don't know how Kingston/Big Creek is right now, we have had some real gully washers this pa st month. Once. In Reese River, head south to the Yomba Reservation and then head west over the summit into Ione. Take in the Berlin Ichy State Park, after which head to Gabbs and hit the dirt road toward Rawhide. Once you pass the geo-thermal plant keep going sraight at the gravel pit and the road will intersect with the graded road to Hawthorne that dumps out on US95 near the ammo depot in Hawthorne. From Reese River to Hawthorne the roads are all county maintained.

Thought I was going to get some good fall riding in, but got roped into coaching football...i am jealous
rjnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Just got home and have a map in front of me. Thanks for the route around 80. The questionable road I had on my route was Maggie Creek. We want to ride the twisty pavement above Wild Horse and that road will set us up for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnutt View Post
The only other route change I would suggest is to head north toward Austin....
Our first trip to Nevada (this is our third) headed out of Mina into roads unknown. Started out fine, but then we found this-

About five miles worth. Our first excursion into sand. No sir, didn't like it! Made it to 376 and took the route you describe into Austin, so the only thing new on that route would be the Kingston Canyon. We will keep it in mind though. Our "planned routes" never are set in stone. We always plan a longer route than we think we will take, we can either ride the whole thing or bug out for home when we get tired of road grime and buzz.
It is really fun to pour over the maps ahead of time, and when we are trying to re-route on the road, I know several options and it all looks somewhat familiar.

My Ride Reports
Old 08-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
the only thing new on that route would be the Kingston Canyon.
It is really fun to pour over the maps ahead of time, and when we are trying to re-route on the road, I know several options and it all looks somewhat familiar.
If you like looking at maps, you should review my Nevada SMTS map on GPSXchange.com

I really like the routes parallel to Hwy 50 they go over the higher elevations with better views. I also have two invetational rides out of Middlegate and Austin.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

I have checked out your routes before, but not recently. I will take a look, thanks. How much of your routes are "big bikable" for intermediate riders?

My Ride Reports