ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
bigkuri OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Home sevice or not....

I figure with so many people on here that live a fair old distance from their dealer, it'd be a good place to ask and poll opinions...

New bike - should I home service it or not, in particular the first service?

I always service my own bikes, and for a few days I have been kicking around the thought of the first 600 mile service - take it to the dealer for peace of mind in terms of warrantees? Or just bite the bullet and do it myself from the get-go?....

I've read the service manual, and it's all very simple - so no mechanical or tool issues. It actually seems easier to service than the 9x0s were.

After the first service I will definitely service it myself. It's just the thought that any brand new bike will lunch itself either in the first 5k miles or the last 50k miles, if you get what I mean....

I've already fitted a Power Cell, however if anything happened to the top end I'd just whip the OEM airbox back in to save any misdirection.... But still, maybe just easiest to do all servicing myself?

Dunno?.... I've not owned a lot of brand new bikes, but have owned a heap of second hand ones...

Thanks in advance, and I know it's a weird question, just interested in the communities thoughts and experience :)
Old 05-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
I do my own, including the first.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
painterdude
ride far

Oddometer: 873
cool ..the first check is reading out the memory code using the KTM diagnostic tool.
painterdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
oldfuddy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
I do all my own.... but not the first. by the time its ready for first service I usually have a list of things I want the dealer to look at and I want it documented in case anything comes up later on, including anything other inmates are seeing that I haven't seen yet, but want the dealer to check and get documented. I also want the dealer to check for any programming updates, speedo calibrations, recalls, bulletins, etc... specific to my vin number. I then ensure everything I wanted looked at and everything the dealer did is on my repair order and in the computer. these new LC8s (1190 and my 1290SD) and I suspect the 1290SA all have or will have their quirks and they have not been out long enough for me to be comfortable not getting the dealer to do the first check from a documentation standpoint. As for your air filter, as you know its not part of the 600 mile service so no worries.
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
cool ..the first check is reading out the memory code using the KTM diagnostic tool.
Stopped by the dealer, it was fine. I did the rest and they were fine with it. My life is obviously much simpler than yours, sorry.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
scudrunner82
combustion addict

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
I do my own, including the first.
+1

Easy peasy.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

My Youtube channel----- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kdER0Y5QfoE9gQ
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
painterdude
ride far

Quote:
Stopped by the dealer, it was fine. I did the rest and they were fine with it. My life is obviously much simpler than yours, sorry.
as to what that all means well you may know ..not sure

Read page 21 ..3.1 of da manual and the " must be performed in an authorized KTM workshop ..part..

purtty simple...
Old 05-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
as to what that all means well you may know ..not sure

Read page 21 ..3.1 of da manual and the " must be performed in an authorized KTM workshop ..part..

purtty simple...
Seriously? You must think I'm a complete idiot? Talkedvtomtheveealer, they said it was fine as long as I had the receipt for the oil and filter. Anyhow it's water under the bridge, warranty is now expired, I'm several services into it with no issues other than that harmonics thing you are working on tha I haven't had a problem with?

As I said before, sorry your experience is so complicated.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
painterdude
ride far

Quote:
Seriously? You must think I'm a complete idiot? Talkedvtomtheveealer, they said it was fine as long as I had the receipt for the oil and filter. Anyhow it's water under the bridge, warranty is now expired, I'm several services into it with no issues other than that harmonics thing you are working on tha I haven't had a problem with?

As I said before, sorry your experience is so complicated.
no..I just read da manual. Guess we can assume from you the KTM folks were just makin suggestions there.. cool.
Oh in case its keeping you up at nights ..the harmonics issue has been solved via confirmation and fix from KTM rep. who actually knew a thing or two about the 1190 motor ( who knew! ) . ..
..but don't let anyone know K?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Really, and what was the fix? Or is it top secret and you're sworn to secrecy?
Inquiring minds want to know..
Old 05-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
painterdude
ride far

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfuddy View Post
I do all my own.... but not the first. by the time its ready for first service I usually have a list of things I want the dealer to look at and I want it documented in case anything comes up later on, including anything other inmates are seeing that I haven't seen yet, but want the dealer to check and get documented. I also want the dealer to check for any programming updates, speedo calibrations, recalls, bulletins, etc... specific to my vin number. I then ensure everything I wanted looked at and everything the dealer did is on my repair order and in the computer. these new LC8s (1190 and my 1290SD) and I suspect the 1290SA all have or will have their quirks and they have not been out long enough for me to be comfortable not getting the dealer to do the first check from a documentation standpoint. As for your air filter, as you know its not part of the 600 mile service so no worries.
generally the route I take ..first service ..and then ..well I return only as needed, warranttee voiding or not. Prolly not wise but heck I am not a millionaire . Their service checks costs are outahthisworld$$$
Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
painterdude
ride far

Quote:
Really, and what was the fix? Or is it top secret and you're sworn to secrecy?
Inquiring minds want to know..
d r o p a t o o t h
on the front sproket

$70 fix ..better spin up and makes 6th gear less of an overdrive to boot.

Chain slap is still there but the annoying ballpining at low rpm under load is gone.
It is an issue only a few people like mechanics and nuerotic engineers will notice..or even see a need to address.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

I went to a 44 rear, about the same ratio and yes, it does work better.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
painterdude
ride far

Quote:
I went to a 44 rear, about the same ratio and yes, it does work better.
the reason for the switch at the front is for clearance around the chain guard as well as spin up. Bike just seems to work better all round with this set up. Someone in here actually mentioned that one tooth lower on the front sprocket was what the motor was originally designed to use ..dunno
Old 05-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #15
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,071
I changed my oil/filter then let them do the rest of the first service. In fact I changed my oil at 100 miles then again at about 800 when they did the first service.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote