Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #226
wegimex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
BOS will be selling a pipe for the 1190 very shortly. I liked the BOS on my former 12GS very much. Will see. Akra is too expensive and looks the same than the original. Never liked them.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #227
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 416
What is the POS?
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #228
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Cheap exhaust

I fired up the bike with the $69 exhaust pipe you see in the pics. Way too loud! I'm going to keep searching for the perfect exhaust; reasonably priced, small enough to fit symmetrical panniers, not too loud.

dewaynehasty screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 05:32 PM
dewaynehasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #229
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewaynehasty View Post
I fired up the bike with the $69 exhaust pipe you see in the pics. Way too loud! I'm going to keep searching for the perfect exhaust; reasonably priced, small enough to fit symmetrical panniers, not too loud.

How much does the stock muffler weigh?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #230
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 74
Where did you find the $69 exhaust.
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:28 AM   #231
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:

That has got to be loud as f*ck! Bet she sounds nice though

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #232
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Sound attenuation of a straight thru exhaust is primarily a function of canister volume and secondarily of packing material. Something that small will never work no matter what you do.

There are two types of repacking that do a very good job that will help on your quest:

One is called Acoustafil. It is what is standard in Akrapovic's. Unfortunately it is hard to get in the US because the distributor does not want to deal with motorcycles, and most other places will not sell it to US (per distributor agreement). I got someone on Ebay in the UK to ship me some, but I had to buy a lot and pay $100 for shipping alone. But it works really well.
http://www.saveguard.com/exhausts/acoustafil2.htm

The other that is almost as good and a lot easier to source in the US is Bristol Core. I have used the RaceTEX and it holds up better and is almost as quiet as the Acoustifil.
www.bristolcore.com

Standard fiberglass mat wrap that is used in most cheap exhausts and repacking kits, does not work nearly as well as the two options above.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #233
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
I apologize if I have stepped on toes with the tone of my posts, but the engine will be too lean with headers and stock tune.

I am not looking to explain how all the variables play together if it isn't understood, just interested if TuneECU is a future option for the 1190ADV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
I think it would be helpful to all of us if you do.
Sorry Wonway, just now went back to read thread and saw this.

Anyway the EFI does not run on closed loop for most conditions (basically it is only in closed loop for idle/low throttle and rpm conditions), so to think that the O2 sensors will compensate and add fuel is not correct except for idle and just above where it does stay in closed loop mode.

Removing the catalytic converter changes the breathing of the engine, but the tune will not compensate for this in open loop mode. It will run even leaner (lean is also hotter) which will be less smooth but also can raise the exhaust gas temps to dangerous levels, especially when under full load. The burning of exhaust valves comment I made was extreme, but it is a distinct possibility if the engine is running lean.

This may seem confusing if you see all the comments about exhaust being cooler after removing the cat, but you have to keep in mind that a catalytic converter is an afterburner. It burns the fuel remaining in the exhaust and the temp exiting is at minimum 100 degrees hotter than entering, not to mention all the thermal inertia contained in the cat itself which bleeds off to the area around it (your right leg). Removing the cat and doing nothing with the tune will cool the exhaust you feel with your leg, but the EGT's are still much higher exiting the head. Removing the cat and being able to tune for the better breathing (add fuel) is what needs to be done. Just removing the cat will still run, but it is not ideal and I would not do it to my bike without monitoring AFR and EGT. Ability to alter mapping or adding a piggyback to do so is almost certainly required to not only optimize throttle response and power, but also to ensure safe engine parameters.

Will it damage the engine to run it without a cat and stock tune? Probably not, if not ridden hard.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #234
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDsurf View Post
Where did you find the $69 exhaust.

ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281086129623...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #235
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

wings

Does anyone know the dimensions of the Wings shorty exhaust? I've looked for hours.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #236
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewayneasty View Post
Does anyone know the dimensions of the Wings shorty exhaust? I've looked for hours.

Thanks.
If no one advises with dimensions from their bikes email this guy...

name: Gorazd Marovič
email:
mf@siol.net

He's the owner of the company and usually responds within a day. From correspondence on my recent purchase, very nice and helpful.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #237
JHpowderhound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
My wings just showed up today. Amazing service and it looks great. I ordered it on the 12th, on the 18th I get an email saying it's shipped. When I look up the tracking number it says that it will be here on the 20th, 2day air from Slovenia to Jackson Hole Wyoming. Showed up today right on time. Now when will the bike get here?

As far as measurements.
Canister not including 1 1/4 length inlet, 16 3/4" long
Width 4"
Height 5 1/2" not including the heat shield at the connector. The shield Shouldn't interfere with panniers.

Can't wait to get a bike to put it on. But it's the world championship snowmobile hill climbs here in Jackson Hole this weekend so at least I'll have a diversion for a few days.

Eric

JHpowderhound screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 10:07 PM
JHpowderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #238
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHpowderhound View Post
My wings just showed up today. Amazing service and it looks great. I ordered it on the 12th, on the 18th I get an email saying it's shipped. When I look up the tracking number it says that it will be here on the 20th, 2day air from Slovenia to Jackson Hole Wyoming. Showed up today right on time. Now when will the big get here?

As far as measurements.
Canister not including 1 1/4 length inlet, 16 3/4" long
Width 4"
Height 5 1/2" not including the heat shield at the connector. The shield Shouldn't interfere with panniers.

Can't wait to get a bike to put it on. But it's the world championship snowmobile hill climbs here in Jackson Hole this weekend so at least I'll have a diversion for a few days.

Eric

+1! Same experience here. Email on the 18th - Delivery on the 20th.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #239
JHpowderhound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Oh yea, I also received some stickers and a tee shirt, gotta love It. If only my Holan panniers would arrive in even 2 or 3 times a long as they did I'd be happy. End of May to middle of June for them.

Eric

JHpowderhound screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 10:09 PM
JHpowderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #240
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
The stock one and the Akrapovik are manifold type (they have an internal labyrinth of pipes) while the Remus and Wings just use some "packing material" (fiber glass). Incidentally, this means the Remus and Wings need more maintenance (the packing material degrades and needs change).
Stupid question but does that mean the 1190 Akra needs no maintainance?? How often for the rest? Every year (ish)?
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote