Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #301
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Looks far too long and unfinished. Is there going to be a heat shield to cover up the ugly pipe work ?
Nope because half of it is the stock section that is welded to the cat by the chaps at KTM so you cannot get rid of it unless it is cut up. Only the second half is Scorpion made. As you probably know the heat shield is only there on the stock unit and Akra unit to protect the pillion but as the Scorpion is at a different angle and much narrower there is no need. It certainly is longer as you can see from the two pics below but this is done specifically to stop the right rear indicator from melting. Will look better once I get the racks fitted.

gunshot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #302
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 528
It looks good, but why Remus, Wings etc don't need such a long exhaust in order not to melt the indicators? (I'm just curious, because I don't have an issue with the length, quite the opposite).
It looks to me that the exhaust itself is horizontal (like all the others), not upwards.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #303
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
It looks good, but why Remus, Wings etc don't need such a long exhaust in order not to melt the indicators? (I'm just curious, because I don't have an issue with the length, quite the opposite).
It looks to me that the exhaust itself is horizontal (like all the others), not upwards.
I'm not sure about Wings etc but Scorpion had one or two customers with the first edition of the exhaust they made for the 1190 which was a little shorter than the latest one (in my pics) where the hot gases were swirling around the indicator and melting it slightly. Just one or two however but they decided to redesign for safety.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #304
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
Oh I should also say that the Scorpion is deliberately closer in to the rear end (narrower) because it is designed to work with the Metal Mule balanced luggage system. This means the panniers will be the same size on both sides and as narrow overall as possible. I'll show you what I mean with a few pics once the racks and panniers are on. So, this is why the Scorpion has more chance to melt an indicator. The Wings and Remus exhausts etc will be further outwards (away from the bike) so the gases miss the indicator.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #305
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Scorpion are planning a new heat shield design for this exhaust, probably CF, and I'm helping them with this. Will keep you all posted.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #306
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshot72 View Post
I'm not sure about Wings etc but Scorpion had one or two customers with the first edition of the exhaust they made for the 1190 which was a little shorter than the latest one (in my pics) where the hot gases were swirling around the indicator and melting it slightly. Just one or two however but they decided to redesign for safety.
I have one of the first 1190's build and fitted the Wings when they first launched. I went for the "long" can as I run the KTM luggage and in 45deg Celsius ambient heat, two up full loaded, had no issues with heat from the can. The fit was perfect, took me more time to remove the stock can and the finish is excellent.

Bluesilver screwed with this post Yesterday at 02:25 AM
Bluesilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:10 AM   #307
MarchHare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
But as gunshot says there should be no issues running a long exhaust in the conventional position. The problems arise when you bring it in close to the tail to reduce the width of the panniers. Then it will be too close to the indicator unless redesigned to clear it.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #308
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,246
Wings long as well

Wanted the tip to clear my soft bags
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #309
venator390
n00b

Oddometer: 4
KTM Exhaust

Check out an outfit called "Wings" www.wings.si/. Very nicely made, UPS right to your door, and about 1/2 the price of Akropovic. I have one on my 1190 Adventure, and am very pleased.
venator390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #310
madatter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I want the Wings shorty...
However I have the KTM hard parts touring panniers and am unsure wether they will be compatible.
Wings supplier here in Canada is being a bit vague on the subject.
Says the long Wings is ok tho....
Anyone have experience with this combo?
madatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #311
elyobelyob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
I want the Wings shorty...
However I have the KTM hard parts touring panniers and am unsure wether they will be compatible.
Wings supplier here in Canada is being a bit vague on the subject.
Says the long Wings is ok tho....
Anyone have experience with this combo?
Same setup. A massive waste of space on the exhaust side, as the shorty is too much smaller, now would prefer a bigger RHS pannier. I did a 500 mile touring weekend and didn't see any issues. What issues were you concerned about?
elyobelyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #312
bt390
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
installed the Wings shorty and could not be happier.
quality is second to non and looks and sounds fantastic.
two extra tips and a really nice Wings shirt.

it took less than a week from order to shipped right to my door.

I run Giant Loop Siskiyou panniers http://giantloopmoto.com/products/siskiyou-panniers/
and because of the size I don't need a rack system or heat shield on the pipe. https://www.facebook.com/giantloopmo...type=3&theater
bt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #313
madatter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
After discussing the Wings shorty by phone with Alternate Cycle I'm comfortable with ordering the shorty and how it will be with the KTM touring panniers.
Looking forward to the sweet sound....I had one on my 690 and loved the Wings.
madatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #314
Redherring
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshot72 View Post
Scorpion had exactly this issue with their (very good) can for the triumph Explorer. They ended up replacing FOC most of the cans they initially supplied which must have cost them a lot of money. So I'm surprised they made the same mistake again.
Redherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #315
AJAdvRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wings Damping wool

I am fairly new to after market exhausts but had to jettison the 1190 can for a Wings shortie after seeing the first pics and hearing the sound bytes. One thing that has concerned me is the statement on the Wings site regarding maintenance in that the damping wool needs changed at an unspecified time but when hot spots are observed. Anyone have any experience to what length of time in use this may occur?

Did some research online and most info indicates that lower cost exhaust systems can require this repacking of wool every 2 years where higher cost ones don't use fiberglass or wool material but built in metal chambers that never wear out.

Appreciate any feedback from your experience...regards

AJAdvRider screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 03:24 AM
AJAdvRider is offline   Reply With Quote