Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
roblnhood OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Question Honda Xr 650r as an adventure tourer, do-able???

Im not concerned too much with practicality, im sure you wouldn't be able to add a lot of luggage to the bike. I just want to know if this bike can be driven 2 or 300 miles to the good dirt, or if its just crazy. Thanks for the input
roblnhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,544
You can ride any bike any where if you are willing to endure the discomfort.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
Airhead
More human than human

Oddometer: 2,099
Talk to Butterball...he rides an XR as his only bike (at least now he does...)
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
Everybody says it can, but nobody ever does on my long DS rides here in Colorado. Dan B on occassion takes his for short under 100 mile rides with me. (there is probably a reason nobody does)

I wish they would because the 650R is a great machine and is far more competitive with my LC4 than a KLR for example. Personally I want a bike with e-start otherwise I would try an XR.

SG
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
roblnhood OP
Adventurer

It seems like an awesome bike, i ride a KLR so im used to a little buffeting and such, but i wonder if the 650r would be able to carry a little bit of gear for weekend trips and things like that. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,155
The longest continuous pavement I've ridden on my XR650R is about 80 miles, a tank full. It wasn't any more uncomfortable than my LC4 Adv..

Put on some bicycle padded short, a nice sheepskin or beaded seatpad..
Old 08-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
twowheels
Leaving Children behind

Oddometer: 200
Yes

My Xr650r is setup as a D/S bike with the following:

--Dirt Bagz racks [110.00](Ortelib bags on them)
--Guts racing soft seat and cover (awesome!)
--Comfy Grips
--Dunlop 606 tires.

Going to get:

Bar Snake (to kill what little vibes there are)
F650gs (2001, tall) or Cee Bailey's (for Dr650) windscreen
GPR steering stabilizer
Pro Moto billet rear rack

BTW, unless you are damaged< kicking a bike, esp this one is NO BIG DEAL. YOu can buy an electric start, but why?

I think the limiting factor once all this is done is the oil change intervals, which probably could be extended to 2-3k as long as you aren't solely offroading (in which case every 800 mi.)

It's never going to be a massive or smooth as my old airhead GS, but then, I don't want it to be.

Check this site for loadsa info:

http://www.xr650r.us/
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
roblnhood OP
Adventurer

Well this is proving to be very helpful thanks guys..
Old 08-03-2005, 09:04 AM   #9
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,195
Rez man does seats for these too. summers makes rack additions. not much harder to kick then a dr350 and usually take less wacks, run a search on them, a dude in idaho made a front fairing from a bmw650, i think, rally style look, very nice, cheap too.

smooth motor, fer sure.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #10
ponq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Just a warning on the Pro Moto billet rear rack. Both points where the rear mounts to the supplied subframe extentions cracked and broke. I had to fabricate a bracket out of steel to make sure it wouldn't break again.

As far as D/S a XR650R, I wouldn't have it any other way. If my butt doesn't get use to the hard seat this year, I'll probably get a custom seat made, or add a little padding myself. Other than that I couldn't be happier to have the XR as my only bike right now.
1998 CR125R (in pieces)
1991 CR500
ponq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #11
Jvanvuren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Hey all... newbie here with his first post (but a long time lurker)
I run an XR650R, and my longest day was just over 300 miles in the Colorado mountains, with some runs of 85mph every now and then for a few miles at a time. It has a stock fuel tank, so was able to stop and walk around a little bit a few times during the ride. Stock seat, full knobbies, etc. My tailbone hurt by the end of the day, in fact it still hurt the next day when I got back on the bike. Otherwise, no complaints. I've done several 200 mile days since, and they are getting easier.
Jvanvuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #12
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,697
My reason is tires- if I'm on a fun bike, I'm not going to put on half-assed tires that will survive a boring street ride. So I wind up keeping fresh knobbies on it and trailering it to places where the riding is fun, rather than keeping old knobbies/ crappy tires on it and riding 100 miles there and back and not enjoying myself while there.

I don't see a comfort issue- it's smoother than the KLR, IMHO. It just doesn't seem worth bothering with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban
Everybody says it can, but nobody ever does on my long DS rides here in Colorado. Dan B on occassion takes his for short under 100 mile rides with me. (there is probably a reason nobody does)

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #13
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,521
i vote for twowheels
sounds like he/she/it knows its stuff!

i have a thread going about tires for this animal, and one of the guys responding there said he had ridden his 1500 miles on slab from Flagstaff area to some beer joint in Canada

the thing is, is there is a HUGE aftermarket for this bike.
everything imaginable

and what someone said about starting it is true. set it up right and it starts like a dream [you gotta know the secret handshake though]

I'm still struggling with my streetable gear. I did the work, and I don't like the work i did. don't like the parts I got, don't like the way they fit or don't....... I just didn't have a good guide to steer me through it. still going to get it done one way or another.

I'm betting a new/rewound stator would be a grand idea because you can't get a very bright headlamp as is.

All that said, the bike is simply awesome in what its capable of doing. riding it I am totally confident no matter what the trail brings. on any other bike I am a weenie. mine seems to be able to hit about 90mph with no fairing... I need to look into a chin spoiler or something. it will wheelie on a whim....

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #14
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblnhood
I just want to know if this bike can be driven 2 or 300 miles to the good dirt,

You might want to check out this thread in which I describe exactly such a project.

I found that I can ride the bike for 200+ miles in a day... going to the dirt, riding, and then riding back. I have serious monkey butt at the end of the day, but then, I have the same issue with my VStrom after similar distances.

I think the issue that is unresolved is the luggage capacity. An earlier post mentions the Rack-it from Pro Moto Billet. I chose a different rack, precisely because it was lighter, and mounted more securely, than the Rack-it.

In another thread, here, I describe fabricating a Givi rack for my VStroms. I have decided that I will do the same thing for the XR. It should bolt up just fine to the SRC tail rack that I describe in my winter project thread above.

With a detachable Givi tailcase, the XR would be a good dual-sport touring machine. Carry your stuff in the tailcase, strap on additional gear behind the seat, leave it at camp on in a hotel room while you ride for the day.

Here's my take on kick-starting -- from my perspective as a first-time dirt-bike owner: it was intimidating at first. But, after a few months, I don't even think about it. My bike is easier to start now that I have an Edelbrock carb. Usually starts on the first kick, never more than 3 kicks. I suppose if I stalled it on a steep incline, I'd be wishing for e-start. But, so far I haven't wanted e-start enough to shell out $800 for either the Baja Designs or Joe Racer e-start kits.

The oil change interval is the biggest hassle to the XR-R in my book. But even that is not such a huge deal. I put in an oil sight tube that makes it trivial to check the oil level, and I discovered an additional benefit: I can monitor the color of the oil. When it gets really dark, I change it. So far, that's about 600-1000 miles per change, depending on how I'm riding.

Tires: I went with Metzeler Karoos at the recommendation of Blaine Baxter, the owner of Southwest Moto Tires. Blaine's personal bike is an XR650R, and he has tried all the tires. He likes Karoos best for short trips, and prefers Michelin Deserts for longer trips.

Hope this helps,

Cap
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
ponq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
CAP you continue to impress. I still haven't tried the sight tube. Just too scary. That plate is another great write up.
1998 CR125R (in pieces)
1991 CR500
ponq is offline   Reply With Quote