User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Roads Ahead 2013

My son talked me into filming video along with my usual photography Here are the results.

homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Belaflek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Thumb

damn entertaining
Belaflek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. It's been a work in progress over the last 3 months, it's a different mindset from photography.

Here's webisode 2.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
dannyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Thanks for sharing Mark from a fellow Miltonian. Where did you say you found that guide on places to visit in Ontario?
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 253
Novel approach!

Enjoyed watching!
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
Thanks for sharing Mark from a fellow Miltonian. Where did you say you found that guide on places to visit in Ontario?
Thanks guys. It was funny, I was at the local library with the kids and found the book "100 Unusual Things to See in Ontario" by Ron Brown in the travel section. It's often said that Ontario is a boring place to ride but there's plenty to see if you make the effort and, with a dual sport, tons of gravel/dirt roads.

When the snow melted, I went back to take it out and started visiting places. That book was replaced by the book "115 Unusual Things..." and I managed to pick it up at the local Indigo (next to CanTire). He also wrote the book "Ontario's Ghostowns", some of which I've visited.

PM me if you're interested on riding to some of these places; we try to make a day of it to hit as many spots as possible. Next up is probably the London area with its various bridges; that'll probably mean plenty of gravel/dirt roads to get there.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Episode 3

By this point, I "branded" my video's and worked a bit on my editing skills. It wasn't a long ride or video but it's a format I've used in each video since.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Episode 4

A bunch of friends an I decided a trip tp Meaford to visit Ted's Range Road Diner was in order. I'm a meataterian and liked the idea of eating crocodile and Emu. River road was nice but I think I left too much of it in the video.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Episode 5 - Meaford Dirt Ride

Went up to Meaford in the middle of June and rode some dirt. Found out how little skill I have off-road.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Casper137
When in doubt Mumble

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
Went up to Meaford in the middle of June and rode some dirt. Found out how little skill I have off-road.

Hey now! ...this video wasn't Meaford ...this one is allll Georgina ....Keswick Represent! lol

I be ridin an '09 DL650A with some ferrrrkles.
Casper137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
sjp3003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Awesome episodes. Great shots and soundtracks. What a great way to see roads so far from here (Dominican Republic).

Would you mind sharing some of the basics in terms of shooting, editing and uploading these videos to the forum? I.e are you shooting continuously throughout the ride or just when you see interesting scenery? What do you use to edit and add sound to your videos? How do you link the YouTube video uploads to your posts?

I recently bought an Ion Go Pro video camera and have filmed two rides but have put off figuring out how best to edit and upload these.

Any tips would be appreciated!
sjp3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp3003 View Post
Awesome episodes. Great shots and soundtracks. What a great way to see roads so far from here (Dominican Republic).

Would you mind sharing some of the basics in terms of shooting, editing and uploading these videos to the forum? I.e are you shooting continuously throughout the ride or just when you see interesting scenery? What do you use to edit and add sound to your videos? How do you link the YouTube video uploads to your posts?

I recently bought an Ion Go Pro video camera and have filmed two rides but have put off figuring out how best to edit and upload these.

Any tips would be appreciated!
My apologies for not answering earlier, I've been away riding again. I tried a few different camera positions but it seems I get the steadiest shots from the mount on the top of my helmet. Having watched other inmates vids, it looks like the biggest criticism is people who film too much of their bike while riding. So, I practiced getting the angle just right so I don't have to fiddle with the camera while riding. As far as shooting, I turn on the camera whenever I'm travelling through a part of the road that I think will show well. I know some people will shoot one continuous take but the GoPro is so hard on batteries that I don't think it's such a good idea. I usually shoot 30 to 120 second segments and turn the camera off in between via remote. This helps with battery life but I miss some stuff. I'll buy more batteries and leave the camera on more so I'm ready to shoot.

Editing is the toughest part of shooting video. With photographs, it's pretty easy to rate all the pictures and take the best to process. With video, I look over the raw footage and pick out the pieces of it I want to play with. I'll then convert these "rough edits" into .mov files that I can play with in my iMovie editor (I use a Mac). For example, I might have a 50 second clip but only about 15 seconds of it is worth looking at, I'll only convert that 15 seconds in a .mov file. I'll place all the .mov files into the episode with all the pictures and watch it. As I'm watching, I'll further edit the segments and add transitions. Sometimes, I find consecutive clips show pretty much the same thing or some clips don't seem to "flow" with the story. Those clips are deleted from the movie. It's important to note that I'll shoot at least an hour of footage for maybe 10 minutes of useable clips. Once I'm done the editing, I'll add voice overs, then music, and run through the video one last time to clean up anything I've missed.

It's important to note that I do this mostly for me so I have a record of what I've done for the year. As a photographer, I stayed away from video but my son convinced me to have a go because he thought video would be a better medium to record my travels. The kid was right.

homme de fer screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 07:28 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Episode 6 - Lake Placid Day 1

And we're off to visit the location that led to the demise of my beautiful Ducati.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 of the Lake Placid Ride

Here is day two of our group ride to the Adirondacks.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 of the Adirondack ride

Found some interesting backroads and had our "Killboy" moment.