User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
The Meerkat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
South West Scotland on a CRF250L

It was 1pm on Sunday 7th July and my options were either I watch Andy Murray play in the Wimbledon Mens final or I take advantage of the fact that everyone else in the country was watching the tennis and I go and play on the quietest roads Scotland has ever seen.

My bike is now 1 week old with 125 miles on the clock and this will be its first real ride. I put a bottle of water, a 5L can of fuel in a bag and strapped it to the rear then I headed South.

My first stop was going to be at some standing stones near Irvine. Now there was a sensible way of getting there and then there was the way I chose to do it. I figured that a sports bike could have easily got there using the path so I just pointed my LRP at my destination left the tarmac and headed off road.

I rode straight through what in the winter I think is a bog but in the summer was just soft ground with tall grasses and thistles. Some of the grass was higher than my bars so I had no idea what the surface was like in front of me. The pic above shows where I came from in the background. The bike performed better than I was expecting.

And this is how the back tyre looked. Lots of mud and grass.

I fuelled up the tank in Irvine and then headed South towards Newton Stewart. This was taken at the edge of the Galloway Forest.

The bike seems very light on the move, if I hadn't been by myself I would have played about in this quarry. But as I had no mobile reception and nobody knew where I was I didn't fancy being stuck there if the either me or the bike had ended up broken.

I did take it to the top of this slope (which seemed steeper than it looks). I wanted to see if the LRP would be able to do it at low rpm without getting bogged down and to my surprise it did. On the way back down I would have liked a bit more power from the back brake but as I now only had 160 miles on the clock then I'm guessing it will improve.

I haven't seen a person or a car now for over an hour. This area is a potential future camp site.

Got a mobile phone signal here.

I had no satnav of maps but I knew where the sun was and I continued to zig zag in a southernly direction. Loving the bike more with every mile. The seat was still feeling comfortable.

I headed out of the Galloway forest and chased a couple of BMW's (i think) about 10 miles to Newton Stewart. The LRP managed to keep up with them. They were keeping to about 70 mph and although they did get away from me when they accelerated away from a few slower moving cars I had to touch 80 mph to real them back in again. I felt that the LRP punched well above its weight. I would say 40-60 is quicker than people would imagine from reading the specs. The sweet spot for cruising would be 65 mph but not because it can't go faster but because the wind blast at that speed is just about right.

After leaving Newton Stewart I headed west towards Stranraer but a sign for Glenluce Abbey distracted me.

From there I headed north towards Girvan, up and over to moors. Years ago it used to be possible to navigate using the windfarms but now there are so many of them its impossible to tell them apart. Back to using the sun.

Had a few moments up here when the front wheel disappeared but the bike is light enough to lift it out. Once when I tried to power the front out it resulted in the back digging in too. (I'm new to off roading) The bike stopped sinking once both pegs were level with the ground. That required a few swear words before it came back out.

Scotland with clear blue skies. It doesn't happen that often.

The I arrived in Girvan for a haggis supper and took this shot of Ailsa Craig. They say if you can see Ailsa Craig then its about to start raining, and if you can't see Ailsa Craig then its already raining.

A quick stop for a photo at Robert Burns house then off home along the M77.

210+ miles by the time I arrived home. I used only 5 litres getting to Newton Stewart which worked out to be 72mpg (UK). I haven't refilled it yet to see what the homeward leg used but I feel that it should be more than 72mpg.
I couldn't be happier with the power and delivery. Top speed is enough. I did feel a couple of wobbles of the front wheel between 60-65 but I couldn't work out what caused them and they didn't happen all the time. Front brake is good and I'm hoping the rear gets better, the way it is right now isn't good enough. I'm 5'10 and the height is pretty good, if I had too I'd raise the bars by 1 inch but as for seat height its perfect for me. If the seat was any higher I may have ended up with some problems in the moors.
The seat does become uncomfortable after 8 hours but it is what it is. After a few more rides I'd like to think my body will adapt.

Next I'm going to get myself a rear rack and a tent then my next trip will be North.
The Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,378
Great little bike, bang for the buck!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
charlietbird
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Nice wee trip!I'll have to get down there with a wee trailly too. Looked like a lot of fun!

Charlie
charlietbird is offline   Reply With Quote