Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
Dave003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Sorry been away from the computer for a couple days. Ill try to cover everything people have mentioned, but Im sure Ill miss something. Im interviewing for a new job which is ~3.5miles away from my apartment. So hopefully soon, the commute will be short and sweet. My whole philosophy behind this all is to have as few toys/vehicles as possible. Its just filling in that pesky need to get to work. But I would like it to fill a trail/adventure riding type roll as well. I backpack a lot, and this is just another way for me to get out into the wilderness. Maybe should have explained the long distance rides more. Obviously it would mostly be on the road, but it would most likely end in going camping somewhere deep in the wilderness. I dont have any experience trail riding yet and dont have any crazy ideas in my head of what Im capable of. Taking a msf course this week. I would love a used WR250R, but havent seen crap anywhere. Local shop has a new one giving me a hard time. But we will have to see whats available when the funds are ready.
Dave003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
ryguy83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Everything you wrote screams WR250R/X over KTM EXC350. From what I read, the EXC350/500s are amazing bikes, but not for your mission profile.

Better yet, get a used WR250R, KLX250, XT250, Super Sherpa or DR-Z400S and use it to figure out what you really want, without the new bike depreciation penalty.

IMO no first bike should be a new bike. Ride it, drop it, sell it, and make a better-focused choice next time around.
Everything this guy has said is what I was going to say, totally agree with him. I think this is the best advice for you, for what u stated u wanted to do screams wrr and if you look on http://www.bikefinds.com they have some great deals. Just yesterday there was 2 2012's, 1 with 6k mi. And the other brand spanky new, both for $5,500.

-ry
ryguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Dave003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Yeah Im trying to line up a WRR.
Dave003 is offline   Reply With Quote