Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Ceri JC OP
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Seriously considering a KTM690R - School me!

My F800GS is getting a bit long in the tooth and starting to get expensive to maintain, so I am going to chop it in for something else. The top of the list (by quite some margin) so far at the moment is the 690R. I've ridden lots of KTMs, but sadly the nearest to the 690R I've ridden is the 690SM.

What I'm after:
I am getting increasingly bored with road riding and for the past 18 months have only really resorted to it when my car was off the road, or as a necessary evil to get to the trails themselves (the nearest place to trail ride is about 50 miles away and it's 100+ miles to the really good stuff). Realistically, I can't imagine doing any trips >2000 miles on the bike, during the time I have it. So, road use will not be the main purpose, but it must be capable on the road. The main thing I want out of it is to be able to strap enough luggage for a weekend of camping on the back, ride 120 miles on the road and still be able to do well in the dirt when I get there. I'd be looking to buy new, so it'll be a 2012-2014 bike.

What I don't like:
Low ground clearance (for me, this and not weight, was the limiting factor offroad on the F800GS).
Bikes where everything is a pain to "get to" (IE it takes half an hour to get at the spark plugs) and/or requires proprietary tools to do so.
Expensive/non-existent/slow to arrive spare parts (did I mention I break everything?)
For reference, the G650X is probably my least favourite bike ever. Please don't tell me this is similar in any way.

A few specific questions:
What's it like for long sessions of road work?
Any particularly good threads here on the bike (or dedicated sites I should look at)?
Any "must do" farkles?
Anyone with experience of the F800GS and the 690R kind enough to do a brief "compare and contrast" for me?
I love Kriega luggage (have a US-5,10,20,30) , I'd love to hear/see which particular bits people have fitted to theirs and the best places to mount them.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Cheers,

Ceri
Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
28marcb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139

My 690 was set,up with seat concepts seat, open air box, Leo pipe and vortex ecu. It was an incredibly powerful dual sport that did the road better than any other dual sport bike I've owned. It would cruise 75 and begged you to do more. My problem with it was an overly twitchy throttle combined with massive low end power that would put you in hairy situations when the terrain chopped up. I also like the occasional foray to practice days at the Mx track, and although the suspension was surprisingly good a whiskey throttle situation could seriously injure. If you are really into dirt riding and just road ride to get to it, I wouldn't overlook the smaller bikes like the 350/500 exc. Just add a giant loop tail bag and tank bag and that would probably get through a weekend.
Ktm 690R
28marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTyAEw5wZ8

Not sure if you've seen this.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
As soon as they update the 690 I'll be trading the F800 for it. Nothing against the current version, but I'm curious as to, and if, they are going to remake it into an even better bike.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
As soon as they update the 690 I'll be trading the F800 for it. Nothing against the current version, but I'm curious as to, and if, they are going to remake it into an even better bike.
You're probably gonna be waiting a while, they just updated it last year.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
signit98
Nutcase... really!

Oddometer: 802
The 690 is a good bike AFTER you sort out the fueling issues.

There is a bunch of hex files you can download and a simple OBDII cable modification you can make and voila, you can do it yourself... bottom line, if you want to enjoy the bike, you NEED to do it.

A pipe helps as well.

Been there - already forgot about it...!

Follow my Journey, pursue insanity:

www.itwasnotme.com
signit98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
What I don't like:
Low ground clearance (for me, this and not weight, was the limiting factor offroad on the F800GS).
Fwiw, the pre-2012 Enduro R had a little bit longer travel suspension. For 2012-on, there's only the R model and I think it comes with the lesser of the two suspension travel lengths.

If you're serious about long-travel for the 690 Enduro, you may want to keep an eye out for 300mm travel Husaberg or 300mm KTM EXC forks or consider Rally Raid UK's new suspension options: KTM 690 Fork Inserts by Tractive and Tractive Suspension Shocks in production

Quote:
A few specific questions:
What's it like for long sessions of road work?
Any particularly good threads here on the bike (or dedicated sites I should look at)?
Any "must do" farkles?
For long sessions of road work, you might peruse RoninMoto's RTW thread. He's been on a RTW trip on the 690 for over a year.

Also see dandini's RTW thread. 22,000 miles in 4 months.

Good threads:

New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

New KTM 690 Thread Index

KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

KTM 690 luggage & rack thread

KTM 690e fuel pump (FI) issues

Code Orange: Building up Three and a Half 690R's

That should be a few hours of reading for you
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro

gen screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 03:13 AM
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,054
Last but not least:

The 690 Info
Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
My F800GS is getting a bit long in the tooth and starting to get expensive to maintain, so I am going to chop it in for something else. The top of the list (by quite some margin) so far at the moment is the 690R. I've ridden lots of KTMs, but sadly the nearest to the 690R I've ridden is the 690SM......WI'd be looking to buy new, so it'll be a 2012-2014 bike.
Ceri
There is nothing that any report here can offer you better than the personal grin report you will get when you are keeping with the GS800 on the highway and spanking them everywhere else. It's simply the best single on the market today, bare none, but you never know in 2014 late season when the Mfg's start coming out with their new models.

Go get some bugs in you teeth and find out for yourself. It's worth everyone you'll gulp down while your smiling.

www.maxdumaz.com European Plonker tour Solo.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Ceri JC OP
UK GSer

Excellent, thanks all, exactly the sort of stuff I was after.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,903
+1 on RoninMoto's RTW thread

Noah will give you a NON BS opinion on the bike...but don't expect a quick reply he's just about to hit the road of bones and BAM road on it
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
Ceri JC OP
UK GSer

So, I went to speak to the dealer today and it looks likely I will get one. I spoke to him about a second set of (supermoto) wheels for road use and it's something he can supply (17" front and rear). I asked if it'd be possible to use one chain/front sprocket and just use different rear sprockets for the gearing. He advised that the difference for the chain would be too long and so I'd need two chains and keep a split link in them to change them over.

I was wondering if I could get a second opinion of whether what he said is correct or not (ideally from someone who has 2 sets of wheels for a 690R and could describe how they do it)?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
So, I went to speak to the dealer today and it looks likely I will get one. I spoke to him about a second set of (supermoto) wheels for road use and it's something he can supply (17" front and rear). I asked if it'd be possible to use one chain/front sprocket and just use different rear sprockets for the gearing. He advised that the difference for the chain would be too long and so I'd need two chains and keep a split link in them to change them over.

I was wondering if I could get a second opinion of whether what he said is correct or not (ideally from someone who has 2 sets of wheels for a 690R and could describe how they do it)?
He's wrong. The adjustment blocks on the 690 can be flipped around to allow for greater adjustment. I've never had an issue no matter what gearing I've used withe either set of wheels.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,206
i just rode my 2011 850 miles to colorado, 300 miles a day on pavement gravel and forest service dirt roads, and then back in the same fashion.

it is my personal opinion that the fuel issues are based in reality, but not as wide spread as the internet would lead you to believe. mine runs fine bone stock except the cat and emissions are gone, to ditch the heat, and weight.(the wiegth doesnt really matter at my skill level, and ive got luggage anyway)

the saddle is a minor nightmare. one 400 mile day wont kill you but the second will. I went with a renazco. very happy with it.

very happy with the bike. I had an 09, thought i didnt want it, and rode a R1200GS exclusively for a while. Now ive gotten rid of the GS since I can only afford one bike... the 690 is that bike.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The adjustment blocks on the 690 can be flipped around to allow for greater adjustment.
As Albie says, your dealer is wrong. You do not NEED to run different sprockets/chain.

That said, many who do run 17" supermoto wheels on the Enduro do have a separate set of sprockets for street vs. dirt. What works best for enduro conditions is not usually what works best for motard conditions.

Some run 15/42 with supermoto wheels (SMC stock is 16/42) and 14/42 with the dirt wheels (Enduro stock is 15/45).
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro

gen screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 10:35 AM
gen is offline   Reply With Quote