Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
GS Dog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Calling on those who have changed out R1100GS clutch

Hi Guys,
I am taking on a transmission swap and new clutch install on my '96 GS. . Admittedly I am a bit spook'd but looking forward to the challenge!

I would really appreciate if I can reach out with some questions to one of you guys who has experience with a 1100GS clutch change.

I have begun compiling as many posts with pics and suggestions between Advrider and UKGSer.

I think a lot of the holes in information will become clear once I did into the teardown, but having a point of contact once I get in there would be a big help!

If anyone is willing to lend me a PM with their contact info, I would certainly appreciate it :) BTW- I am in the San Diego area.

Thanks!
GS Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Mega watt maker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Dog View Post
Hi Guys,
I am taking on a transmission swap and new clutch install on my '96 GS. . Admittedly I am a bit spook'd but looking forward to the challenge!

I would really appreciate if I can reach out with some questions to one of you guys who has experience with a 1100GS clutch change.

I have begun compiling as many posts with pics and suggestions between Advrider and UKGSer.

I think a lot of the holes in information will become clear once I did into the teardown, but having a point of contact once I get in there would be a big help!

If anyone is willing to lend me a PM with their contact info, I would certainly appreciate it :) BTW- I am in the San Diego area.

Thanks!
I put a clutch in my 97' 1100RT..which is the same thing for the most part. Not hard to do at all if you can use tools.

PM sent with contact info.....
Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
JOP
Just another Boxer

Oddometer: 47
One good advice:
When I did it I decided that I knew better than all the doodads on the web, and only changed the disc and the spring. The pressure plate and the rest looked fine, so I just sanded them down and reused them.
My advice; do what the doodads say and replace ALL these parts... It's a lot of work to go in there again and redo the job.
Change the bolts that are to be changed.
If the clutch is difficult to get centered, the bolts can be left loose, then tighten them through the hole where the starter sits.

/J
JOP is offline   Reply With Quote