ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #107
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Signed up-waiting for more. multsimesc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob66 View Post

ps: stay close, I have prepared the pictures for the next update, but I still have to write the text... but I think it's a matter of a few days

Cristian / Bob
Nice RR. Tuva is out there. There's a great book on Tuva by Richard Feynman a (no longer living) legendary American physicist. Tuva or Bust.
Upload those pics! Whenever I go to Romania I am astounded by the internet speeds we can only dream of here in the monopolist states of America.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #108
bob66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
Upload those pics! Whenever I go to Romania I am astounded by the internet speeds we can only dream of here in the monopolist states of America.
The pictures are up on flickr, I still have to write the text.

Just to "upset" you a little, we have 1 GB metropolitam speed for less than 20$ / month :)
and I have home 50 MB speed for 10$, and is working very fast

Cristian / Bob
bob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #109
bob66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Wow! Your pictures are amazing.

Must have been quite bumpy in the UAZ!
Yes, it was. But wait a little to see what's coming next... in Ukok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Rainbow is definitely front page stuff!
Thanks guys. How one can put pictures for the front page?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:24 AM   #110
bob66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Walking in Kosh Agash

Day 15, Sunday, 28 July 2013

Gigi and I woke up early enough to have a little walk around the town while Andrei and Bogdan are still sleeping.

Having arrived at our guesthouse I begin talking to the Russian people here. One of them is good at English so he helps me with a phone call to the KTM dealer in Novosibirsk. It is interesting that today is Sunday and somebody answers the phone. But soon I find out that they don’t have it in stock and it takes around three weeks for a new one to arrive. I’m thinking that maybe somebody from Romania could send it to me, but I know from somebody that it could take two weeks only to get it out of the customs. So I have to leave my bike here. Of course, this means extra money for the transportation back home.

I don’t even think of going back home and suddenly I have an idea. I have read on advrider.com about some guys who came to UB by plane and they bought there some Chinese bikes which they sold for half a price after 3 weeks of riding in Mongolia (here is their story - First Steppe: Mongolia).

But what should I to do with Ukok trip? I talk to my host and tell him I want to rent a bike for going to Ukok. He says we would ask and have an answer for me tonight.

In the afternoon we go to the border permit office in Kosh Agash to get our permits for Ukok (Ukok plateau is a border zone with China, Kazakhstan and Mongolia). But here we find out that because we are foreigners we have to go to the office in Aktash. As today is Sunday we have to wait for the next day because there is now close.

Later that evening, our host tells me that he couldn’t find a bike for me. At first I’m a little upset. But I was going to find out the next day that it was better, because I don’t think it was possible to ride there with some Ural or Ij. Bogdan offers me the pillion position on his bike… Big mistake :) … I was going to find out soon; it is a nightmare to be a pillion on offroad.

Lenin is watching

After we return to our guesthouse, Gigi makes a shooting with the little boy

The owners are Kazakhs

In front of Zarea Guesthouse

And at a Cafe nearby

bob66 screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 10:13 PM Reason: Info added
Old 04-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #111
bob66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Ukok trip

The map

Day 16, Monday, 29 July 2013

In the morning we go to Aktash to get our border permits (there are 100 km from Kosh Agash). I’m a pillion on Bogdan’s bike. I didn’t know up till now how it is to be in the back seat. It is not so good.

The road is very beautiful. I remember the first meeting with Altai Republic in 2010. As we are closer to Aktash the rain begins. We go straight to the FSB office and in a few minutes we have the permits.

Before leaving Aktash we go to a Cafe. It is still early, but we have lunch. As we eat, there appear two Russians coming from Vladivostok via Tuva.

It doesn’t rain anymore when we leave but the sky is full of clouds and it is cold. Around 14:00 we are back in Kosh Agash at the gas station.

After 40 km from Kosh Agash there is the military control point. We go further towards Toply Cluch (in Russian: “the hot keys”) thermal waters. The road is good to that point. The rain and sun alternates.

Just before thermal waters there is a muddy place. The first bike down today belongs to Gigi.

After thermal waters it’s another 5-7 km up to Toply Cluch (2900 m). Somebody from Russia (found on Google Earth) told me that there is a climb with big stones, but I couldn’t imagine the reality. Now I realize that it wasn’t a good idea to be a pillion. It’s very hard for my spine. I get down from time to time.

Gigi is a beginner in offroad riding. The first contact with offroad he had just a few months ago, in Romania, on a very lite bike. Now, on the KTM 990, the life is not easy for him. Just 2 km before the pass the things become more complicated. I take his bike to pass the heavier passages. But waiting to arrive in an easy passage I arrive on the top of the pass at 2900 m. It’s sun, but there is a wind…

After about half an hour there appears Gigi very upset. Without notice I rode 2 km with his bike, and he came here walking.

From there we came

Bogdan

Toply Cluch pass (2900 m)

Andrei wants to make a photo with his bike in the snow…

…and I don’t know what he does there that he breaks his side stand sensor. The bike starts running, but when you put it into gear, the engine stops. So we cut the sensor and connect the cables to bypass the sensor.

The road is bad after the pass too

After 10-15 km we arrive in a swampy area. It’s late now, so we search for a camping place. This was the hardest day up till now.

Day 17, Tuesday, 30 July 2013

It rained a lot last night. We wake up around 8. It is cold outside so we eat in our tents.

The rain begins again. It lasts around 30 min, after which we begin to pack.

It seems that Gigi had a good sleep last night and now he’s happy. Unfortunately his happiness was not long lived, as we would see soon.

I go ahead to look for an alternate way for the swampy area. I see 2 UAZ coming. Bogdan suggests me to go with them to Kosh Agash. I don't give it much thought, especially because it wasn’t pleasant to be a pillion here, and for Bogdan is easier too, to ride alone. I go in a hurry towards them. When they see me waving my hand they stop. I tell them quickly my story and they take me with them.

As I go up in the car I hear in my radio station that Gigi’s bike is not moving. Soon we go out of the reach of broadcast radio station and I don’t hear anything more.

The car I’m in breaks a few times, but it is easy to repair.

We make a very short break at thermal waters so I take some photo of the information panels.

At 17:30 I’m back at the guesthouse. I go to the Cafe very hungry. Big mistake! Of course that I order more than I can eat :)

---

In the meantime: as I was saying, Gigi’s bike is not moving. His cluch just f*d up when he was trying to get out from a swamp. Bogdan and Andrei go to Toply Cluch to find some help for Gigi.

The climb up to Toply Cluch

The lake in the pass

Going down to thermal waters

At thermal waters

Having arrived at Toply Cluch the two hero rescuers find somebody with a truck to go after Gigi, and this way, the operation “Save KTM nr 2” begins.

---

What is Gigi doing in the meantime: he admires the landscape

There are plenty of cars going to Ukok

The rescue mission arrives at Gigi around 7 in the evening.

Around 9 PM they arrive at the thermal waters. Gigi remains there and Bogdan with Andrei leave for Kosh Agash.

I walk around the town checking my watch every 5 minutes. I don’t know what happened up there and I don’t understand why it takes so much time for them to arrive. At 10 PM I receive an SMS from Bogdan which says to buy some food, and nothing more. At midnight when they arrive, I find out what happened there.

Day 18, Wednesday, 31 July 2013

At 11:30 AM Gigi & co leave the thermal waters. Until that time Gigi is admiring the landscape again.

In the wooden houses there are some sorts of water pools. The water is not as hot as one may think of when hearing about thermal waters.

The rescue mission “Save KTM nr 2” continues

On his way back to the town the truck’s tank becomes empty a few times. The driver gets some benzin from other travelers and from Gigi’s tank too.

At 5 PM they arrive at the guesthouse. We get the bike out from the truck, give Gigi some food and begin working on the bike to see what happened.

We open the clutch and see that two disks are completely worn, and another 3 just a little. I give to Gigi my good disks (at my clutch the hub broke and it broke a few disks, but the others were ok). He puts these disks on his bike. The bike is moving a little, but it has no power. We make a phone call to our mechanic in Romania and he advises us to add a supplementary spacer. But, being late, we leave this job to the next morning.

The day ends with a good “bania”.

Cristian / Bob
Old 04-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #112
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
All I can say is WOW!!! Your pictures remind me of why I kept reading all of Walters RR on the region and you have done a fantastic job with the story as well! This makes me want to ride Russia and Mongolia more than ever, thanks for all the work you put into this report
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #113
grom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Great pics, guys!
grom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #114
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Late again but I'm IN. Keep those pics coming
Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #115
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob66 View Post
I have read on advrider.com about some guys who came to UB by plane and they bought there some Chinese bikes which they sold for half a price after 3 weeks of riding in Mongolia...
That was a RR by Joe Motocross. One of the best on here imho. I have been inspired to do a similar trip to Mongolia this summer...

Link here.

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #116
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Geez, just finished this up and can't wait for more!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #117
bob66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

preview

Hy guys,
long time, no talk

here is a little preview of what's coming

Shineray Mustang, made in China, saved the trip

See you soon with new pictures and text

Regards,
Bob / Cristian
Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #118
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Can't wait for more! Your photos are outstanding!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #119
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
More please :)
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #120
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Looking forward to the next setof installments....

.... Now that you're on a reliable bike
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote