Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
You come across a bike on it's side - do you pick it up?

This happened yesterday here in our parking garage at work. Went down to show the new Tenere to a friend and we found a Harley Sportster on it's side.

Debate ensued on our internal email alias for riders: do you pick up the bike, or leave it alone? What do you think?

(We left it alone, reported the incident to the community via the email alias. One of the guys with me righted the bike later when leaving for home, and left a hand written note for the bike's owner. We suspect the oversized car parked next to the bike in the "compact" slot may have bumped the bike - there' s a lot more to the story, but this story isn't the point... ;) )

So, you just walked up to a bunch of motorcycles, see one is on it's side - what do you do?

(I'm in the "leave it" camp. I'd want to find my bike that way so I could check things out and know that something happened before attempting to ride away...or call for a tow. If this were a group-ride scenario, I'd pick up the bike, but then I'd likely know the owner and could explain things to them so they could decide on next steps.)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
I would not pick it up, I agree that if it were my bike I would want to know it was down so I could look things over before I throw a leg over and take off... I also don't want to be accused of knocking it over if the owner returns while I am picking it up.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
GordoS
Pawn in game of life

Oddometer: 119
I picked a scooter up once...

On a business trip in Greece. It was behind the restaurant we were heading into, big storm raging, which was probably what knocked it over since it was not a parking lot. BUT it was also leaking gas , I figured that was a bad thing.

Public parking here in DC? It depends -- frankly, I've got enough back issues that I'm not sure I want just go around doing deadlifts and possibly get into the middle of it. I can see the "you were picking it up, so you must have knocked it over..." conversation coming. In the lot at work? Probably send the email, unless it was someone I knew.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I think it really depends on the situation...where you are etc...

I don't see a problem with picking it up and leaving note...especially if its leaking gas everywhere...I see the point about the owner wanting to know it was down before riding it....

If I was alone I wouldn't try and pick it up...
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
pick it up, leave a note saying you picked it up.

I saw a truck back into a bike, knock it over. Left a note saying that, and putting the partial of the license plate and type of truck and my name/ number.
Ended up in court on that one. bleh.

Picked up one at work, left a note, ended up having to help the guy since his clutch wasn't working right. (Harley's are friggin HEAVY) And I explained to him that was why the MC parking is a concrete slab, and that in the summer you don't want to park on pavement without something bigger under your kickstand. Asphalt gets hot and gooey in NC.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
I found a custom chopper laying on its side one time. (I actually knew the guy whose bike it was but didn't realize it until I had righted the bike and actually looked at it more closely.) I picked the bike up, put it on its side stand and it almost immediately went over again because it was extremely windy out and the angle of the sidestand caused the bike to sit almost straight upright and it kept catching the wind. I needed to find something to wedge under the opposite footpeg so the bike wouldn't get blown over again. Once I did, I went to find the owner to let him know about it. He thanked me for going out of my way to not only pick up the bike but also figuring out how to keep it from getting blown right back over. I think he ended up shortening the stand so it sat at a more relaxed angle.

When I lived in SF I had two of my motorcycles knocked over when I parked in the street. They were the result of a jackass trying to park who had no skills. Luckily neither suffered much damage, but I found both laying on the ground.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
I would say leave it and leave a note as well. Last summer incame.out of my studio on TWO occasions that one, my bike wad knocked over somehow and two, it was knocked over and someone picked it up. Both times I had either a lever break it my perch that help my mirror on.
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,966
In SF is the only place I've found a bike on it's side.
I left it but did report to building security who did it.

all the reasons posted above are why I left it, but still felt bad about doing so.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
If it's not leaking fluids I say leave it, it's not going to get any more damaged by laying on its side any damage was done when it hit the ground.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
I've never seen one on its side, but it would depend on the circumstances. If it was leaking fluids, I would pick it up and leave a note. But, it depends.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Yes . I'd want someone to pick it up if it were mine and I'll do the same. Would you want a car to hit it again not seeing it? Have some balls guys.

joexr screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 06:25 PM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Here's the one I found... right next to my bike. In no more danger of being run over than if it was standing up. Leaking no fluids. Never park in the end spots in SF if you can avoid it.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Here's the one I found... right next to my bike. In no more danger of being run over than if it was standing up. Leaking no fluids. Never park in the end spots in SF if you can avoid it.
Still , I'd have picked it up. You're an ass if you don't. I'd even pick it up if it were an oil belching Hardley.

joexr screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 08:25 PM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Well there you go. I've always been an ass, so I guess I am consistent!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
One of the problems with leaving a bike on its side is that you can fill a cylinder with oil and cause a hydrolock. If you stand it up for him/her you can help prevent that, especially if you leave a note with your contact info on it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote