Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #31
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
Guy I work with leaves his key in his bike every time he parks it, on purpose apparently. I've threatened to relocate the bike to a different part of the lot so many times that if it ever gets stolen he's going to come right to me I'm sure.
That reminds me of a former colleague who told me that when he moved to Boston to attend MIT, he had brought along his ragged out Monte Carlo with him. He'd leave the keys in it in case anybody else in the dorm needed transportation, and the other guys were good enough (usually) to throw in some extra gas while they had it. He was not worried about it being stolen, since the most valuable component in it was probably the Sparkomatic stereo. Then one day he got back to the dorm after classes and realized he need to go across town on an errand but the car wasn't there. No matter, it's Boston. Easy enough to take a bus ride or two and maybe a train. Got back that evening, still no car. Next morning the car was still absent. When he got back to the dorm that afternoon and nobody fessed up to having taken the car, he began to get his hopes up that it had been stolen so he could file an insurance claim and have a few dollars for fun for a change. He file a police report and notified his agent, who sent him the requisite paperwork. The morning after he got the forms, he was on his way out to mail them when he saw the Monte Carlo parked right outside the door. A quick check showed the key was in it and a little something else -- a new stereo.

(Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack. )

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post

That reminds me of a former colleague who told me that when he moved to Boston to attend MIT, he had brought along his ragged out Monte Carlo with him. He'd leave the keys in it in case anybody else in the dorm needed transportation, and the other guys were good enough (usually) to throw in some extra gas while they had it. He was not worried about it being stolen, since the most valuable component in it was probably the Sparkomatic stereo. Then one day he got back to the dorm after classes and realized he need to go across town on an errand but the car wasn't there. No matter, it's Boston. Easy enough to take a bus ride or two and maybe a train. Got back that evening, still no car. Next morning the car was still absent. When he got back to the dorm that afternoon and nobody fessed up to having taken the car, he began to get his hopes up that it had been stolen so he could file an insurance claim and have a few dollars for fun for a change. He file a police report and notified his agent, who sent him the requisite paperwork. The morning after he got the forms, he was on his way out to mail them when he saw the Monte Carlo parked right outside the door. A quick check showed the key was in it and a little something else -- a new stereo.

(Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack. )
No apologize needed. Great story! :)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #33
RMZMZM
Not adventurous

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
Guy I work with leaves his key in his bike every time he parks it, on purpose apparently. I've threatened to relocate the bike to a different part of the lot so many times that if it ever gets stolen he's going to come right to me I'm sure.
As I was leaving work today, I noticed a bike with lights on. No one near it (we have designated motorcycle parking) HMMMM. I checked, owner had left the key in the ignition in the "on" position.

I gave the bike's description & plate # to security, turned the ignition off and left the keys in it. Problems in our parking area (private no public access) are not frequent and we use rent-a-Barney Fief security.

Not sure how long the bike had been parked before I noticed, I hope there was enough juice when he/she went to leave.
RMZMZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #34
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,617
If my bike fell over, and someone picked it up, I would probably never notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #35
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,333
Some unknown rider's bike tipped over in a parking lot? Probably not.

Dirt? Yeah, get it out of the road/trail.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #36
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Pissed

You guys should have a sticker. DO NOT PICK UP IF KNOCKED OVER. If it ever happens to you I'll bet you change your mind. I'd kick your ass for standing there and NOT picking it up.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #37
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
If it was leaking fluids, I would pick it up and leave a note. But, it depends.
If it had Depends, that would take care of the leak.

If it wasn't leaking and thus possibly setting up additional damage or danger, and wasn't in a place where being down made it vulnerable to being hit again, I'd mind my own business and leave it under the "no good deed goes unpunished" principle. Maybe it didn't go down because a car hit it, and as soon as you pick it up you find that out when it goes right back down again, and breaks even more stuff. Which could now be construed as being your fault.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #38
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
....In one case, I put the broken turn signal parts on the seat and it was fairly obvious that the sidestand had sunk into the soft asphalt.
Was it still on soft asphalt after you picked it up? Example of what I was saying, you'd just be setting it up to fall down AGAIN and have further damage.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #39
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
One of the problems with leaving a bike on its side is that you can fill a cylinder with oil and cause a hydrolock. If you stand it up for him/her you can help prevent that, especially if you leave a note with your contact info on it.
Did you see it fall down? How do you know it's not already hydrolocked?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #40
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
And?

I vote pick it up, it sucks coming back to your bike on the ground. A note would be good.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #41
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,659
Quote:
If it had Depends, that would take care of the leak.

If it wasn't leaking and thus possibly setting up additional damage or danger, and wasn't in a place where being down made it vulnerable to being hit again, I'd mind my own business and leave it under the "no good deed goes unpunished" principle. Maybe it didn't go down because a car hit it, and as soon as you pick it up you find that out when it goes right back down again, and breaks even more stuff. Which could now be construed as being your fault.
Then again, you ARE/were a lawyer!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #42
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,659
Quote:
If you pick it up, and it sits a while, it won't be most likely.

Of course, I did say I would leave a note to the rider knows it was down.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #43
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
I'd pick it up and leave a note. Bad shit happens to bikes when they sit on their side. Gas leaks, oil pools in places it isn't meant to....

Just make sure the owner knows the bike was on its side for an indeterminate period of time.

Yeah, I just used "indeterminate."
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote