User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
farmerger OP
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Crash leads to valve pushrod misalignment

Dumped my 06 !200GS going across a small creek last weekend. Landed heavy in some rocks on the left side. Bent the HB crashbar back into the left valve cover cracking it open. Immediately started making this odd clicking noise until I could shut it down. Trucked it home and started disassembling the left head. When I removed the busted valve cover I found that the intake valves were partially open even at TDC. Closer examination showed why, (sorry OCD got the better of me and I didn't take any photos while tearing things apart); the intake valve pushrod had fallen out of position and was now jammed crooked between the cam follower and the rocker arm. As result it took off a little bit of head material at the rocker end and left a circle of divots in the follower bottom.

The pushrod head had one small blemish on it, nothing on the rocker. Its on the right side of the rod lying half way on the blue towel, towel end.

Questions: Can I put things back together and write if off as just a fluke inertial thing causing the rocker to have moved too far out due to the left side crash or is something else wrong to have allowed this to happen? Can I reuse these parts or do I need a new pushrod and follower? I will clean up the burrs on the head before reassembling. Finally, should I take off the head and check the valves and piston, or am I basically at the point where if those are shot I'm calling up the insurance?

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,871
I would tear down to the next level and inspect the followers further. Next, did you perhaps have valve/piston contact? You'll need a compression test to determine that.

Seems like there were some rather severe forces at work when you crashed. If fiction parts are blemished at rubbing or bearing surfaces, they should be replaced.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
You're talkin some high rpm parts here. Not an area I'd gamble with.

Just sayin

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
You're talkin some high rpm parts here. Not an area I'd gamble with.

Just sayin
The RPM is not that high...remember, the cams rotate at half crankshaft RPM.

I would not rate the boxer a high RPM engine.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
JM
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
remember, the cams rotate at half crankshaft RPM.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
I would tear down to the next level and inspect the followers further. Next, did you perhaps have valve/piston contact? You'll need a compression test to determine that.

Seems like there were some rather severe forces at work when you crashed. If fiction parts are blemished at rubbing or bearing surfaces, they should be replaced.
I agree. This is not a common issue with even a hard drop from what I have seen. Definitely want to do a compression check at a minimum. The "divots" you refer to look to be in a wear area. If this is the case, those parts will fail in short order and need to be replaced.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
farmerger OP
Snowed in Adventurer

Bluhduh

Will do a compression test tonight. What numbers should I be looking for?

Anyone ever took a head apart? What does the backside of the follower, the side against the cam, look like? Is it made from two different hardness steels, cause that's what it looks like from the pushrods end, the part where the rod sits in the follower bottom is a darker grey and has no marks on it, only the lighter coloured metal around it?

Appreciate all your advice fellas, thx.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
Most likely when the rock punctured the valve cover it kept the rocker from closing and the resultant slack allowed the pushrod to drop out of position. But then the lifter and mispositioned pushrod may have tried to lift the valve too far and hit the piston. Dents in the lifter are bad news. Here, I would disassemble the head.

Insurance? That's your call. Depends more on your repair ability than on the damage.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
farmerger OP
Snowed in Adventurer

Puke Houston we made contact

Well, disassembly is complete. Both intake valves contacted the piston. Will get some pics up tomorrow. I don't see any damage to piston or valves, basically looks like it just knocked the combustion built up off where the contact was. I haven't taken a close look at the follower yet but there is a thin line on the camshaft lobe for it. Again I will post pics so you guys can give me your opinions on how screwed I am.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Subscribed...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
xppx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Eh?

xppx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Will do a compression test tonight. What numbers should I be looking for?

Anyone ever took a head apart? What does the backside of the follower, the side against the cam, look like? Is it made from two different hardness steels, cause that's what it looks like from the pushrods end, the part where the rod sits in the follower bottom is a darker grey and has no marks on it, only the lighter coloured metal around it?

Appreciate all your advice fellas, thx.
I look for consistency when I check compression. The actual number is influenced by the volume of the tool you're using - a longer hose will give a lower reading than a short hose. Compare the heads, if they're both in good condition, they'll be nearly identical.

Pulling the head is easy peas - place the engine at TDC, remove the cam sprocket (I use a small ziptie to secure the chain to the sprocket), remove the fasteners holding the head to the cylinder and pull straight out. You're already in the job for a new pushrod and follower, add a head gasket to the parts list.

Oops. Didn't see the followup.

Hold the head vertical with the intake port facing up and pour some kerosene into the valve area. If it doesn't leak, chances are your valves are okay.

As far as the piston goes, clean the carbon off and see what the crown looks like.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Well, disassembly is complete. Both intake valves contacted the piston. Will get some pics up tomorrow. I don't see any damage to piston or valves, basically looks like it just knocked the combustion built up off where the contact was. I haven't taken a close look at the follower yet but there is a thin line on the camshaft lobe for it. Again I will post pics so you guys can give me your opinions on how screwed I am.
I would pull the piston and have it checked. There may be damage you can visibly see. You are this far into it. Also check your valves for trueness. One might be bent at the stem/head from contact.

Replace all damaged parts, www.beemerboneyard.com might have them reasonably priced.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
farmerger OP
Snowed in Adventurer

Eek Carnage pics at 11

Here is the piston

and the valves

line on intake cam lobe, note its not on the raised part of the lobe

OK lets hear it.

Jim, pull the piston, is there a JVB pictorial or video on that?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
JM
Studly Adventurer

Following with interest.