Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
I've been the T1 pent seats a few times. Great place to watch the racing. I watch everything else trackside Infield on the viewing berms.

The Indy Mile is spectacular. Make sure your seats are high in the stands so you can see. I had front row seats in 2008 and had to move because the bikes run along the wall below you and you can't see the finish unless you are high.

Definitely the museum.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
Is there camping at the track? showers? what's it like if anyone has experience.

If there isn't wheres the best hotel to stay at for access to the track and they other events going on?
The camping is in a grass field across the street from start/finish. They have a shower trailer too. Very handy, but if you've never camped at a motorcycle race before, don't count on getting a lot of sleep.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,413
You can Hotwire the Ramada in the southwest of town for under $40/night.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
A couple years ago when I went they did a free trials riding demo thing near the pits I believe one day that was pretty awesome to see. And they did a stunt show somewhere in town which was also cool to me. I second the turkey legs!! They are amazing!!
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,617
Bring your walking shoes.

Walk all over the F'n place. I got good tickets from a dude out on the street.

That's all I got.

I went for the first one in 2008. Rode all the way there to meet 3 friends.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 280
indy

Been to MotoGP 4 years in a row. The Meridian at night is fantastic, the Indy Miule at the fairground is also a must see. they used to have EnduroCross Friday night which was a blast.

We sit in the penthouse Section E and enjoy watching the Ducatisti at Ducati Island.
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
Whitebread117 OP
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
You got a link for the $250 paddock passes? I thought the only way in was a hideously expensive VIP Village ticket.
Try this one:

http://secure.brickyard.com/Promotio...romotion=GPPAD
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #23
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
You got a link for the $250 paddock passes? I thought the only way in was a hideously expensive VIP Village ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Currently they're only offering them to ticket package holders, you need a promo code for that link to work. The email I got said they would open them to the masses soon.

If you just have to have them now, p.m. Me and I'll give you my code.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #24
Whitebread117 OP
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
Currently they're only offering them to ticket package holders, you need a promo code for that link to work. The email I got said they would open them to the masses soon.

If you just have to have them now, p.m. Me and I'll give you my code.
Yes I should have mentioned the promo code in my other post but I spaced out. I won't be using my promo code, so if someone wants it PM me.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
My bad, the promo code is in the link under the promo code box, GPPAD

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,355
Plan for extreme heat. If you take the paddock tour (I believe it is still offered at Indy) and ask very nicely the crews will sometimes let slip where they are dining that night. Good opportunity to get an autograph or pic on their way out.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Motorcycles on meridian downtown is really cool. Thousands upon thousands of bikes of all types. It happens Friday and Saturday night.

The mile is not to be missed. I think standing along the fence in the infeild is the best place to watch, just because you're so freaking close to the bikes. One year i stood the entire race at the top of the hill where the turn three tunnel went under, I can't believe they let us stand there. We were just feet from the edge of the track. There were officials standing on the other side of a piece of caution tape and never said a word. I didn't go last year to flat track because i heard they weren't allowing infield veiwing.

The short track is really cool to see as well. The first time i saw speedway bikes there i was amazed.

Moto GP is just a small part of the weekend to me. It's non-stop motorcycle racing, and one of my favorite weekends of the year. I grew up going to IMS, (my dad took me to time trials at 2 years old) and its awesome to see bikes racing there now.

There is tons of camping in the coke lot across Georgetown from turn 4 of the oval. It's.... an interesting place. Never camped there for Moto GP, but never miss a 500 in the coke lot. Many people go to the coke lot that never set foot inside the speedway. The partying (for the 500 and 400 at least) is legendary.

At the other end of the track, east of the museum entrance on 16th street there is grass camping that is much, much, much tamer than Georgetown road. My dad has camped there several times for Indy and you can actually get sleep there that doesn't have to be induced by large amounts of alcohol.

There was camping mentioned across from the start finish line, never camped there, but it is close proximity to Georgetown road which is a party until 3 or 4 am or whenever the cops decide the party is over. Its kinda in the middle of everything. If you're into long walks, Camp in whats called the "lions lot" It's a section of the coke lot at the far south west corner, 29th and lynhurst ave, or somewhere around there. There is a creek that divides the coke lot into the main part, and the small lions club section. If you get there early get a spot along the woods and you're isolated more from the mayhem of the main part of the coke lot. Still won't sleep, but you won't have assholes like me stumbling into your camp at 2 in the morning.

Mgbgt89 screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 02:57 PM
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #28
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Bring your walking shoes.

Walk all over the F'n place.
+1 It's a BIG track with lots of walking to get anywhere.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Big is an understatement. From where i camp to where i watch the 500 it's a 1 hour walk MINIMUM. Usually 2 hours if its hot and i've been drinking. Then again i camp at the far end of the coke lot. I cringe at the poor women i see dressed in black shirts wearing high heels, making the long walk across the infield. It can be pouring rain at one end of the track and be sunny and dry at the other, It's big.

My favorite graphic of IMS:

Fun fact off the IMS website:

Q. How big is the Speedway property?
A. The Speedway property encompasses 1,025 acres in northwest Indianapolis, including the track, Administration Building, Brickyard Crossing Golf Course and various parking areas.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #30
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Show up at 6:00 am at the Sheridan City Centre dining room and wear a red polo shirt. The whole Ducati team will be breakfasting. You'll fit right in.