ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Geolander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Question Front tire; CRF450X...

So, I have a IRC Volcanduro and I love it in the dirt.

However I'd trust a Dunlop MX51 to hold a line better on asphalt. I've tried dialing the air pressure in, no difference, just starts to let go at different times. Feels like I'm on hard packed snow.

I've recently started riding my 450X back and forth to work, up a mountain canyon about 17 miles one way. Cornering is sketchy at the moment to say the least. Then there's about a half mile strip of grooved concrete that I have to ride as well. The knobby is completely unpredictable on that crap. Wants to ride the grooves and feels like I'm about to start tank slapping @ 55 MPH with cars right behind me.. (not confidence inspiring)

I'm still a dirt fiend though, I'm in the woods every week with this bike without fail.

My question is; What's going to be a tire worth a shit to me? I am really not concerned with tire wear, I don't need a "durable" tire. I need a true DS tire, that can handle blasting through the woods and sticking a line in the granite pebbles in Rampart, and I need it to hold a line on the street without feeling like I've got a flat tire in the turns.

(I'm riding from Littleton to Conifer's Aspen Park via Deer Creek Canyon/S. Turkey Creek Rd. to 285)
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Crenshaw
Bum

Oddometer: 109
Kenda k270 is what works for me. Kind of a sacrifice in the dirt but I find it pretty well-mannered on the highway. Really cheap and seems to wear pretty well.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,056
MT21 does a pretty good job for that IMO
Other (less dirt worthy) options are D606 or Desert IT, TKC80, Mefo, many more.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 662
I fought the same thing for a while. After many tires, uneasy feeling on dirt and/or street I purchased a set of rims and mounted Good street tires on them. Same sprocket size. Would swap wheel sets when I wanted to hit the dirt and visa versa. In the long run, it was a lot cheaper and the riding was much better. Great tires for dirt, great tires for street. Used rims are not hard to find at a great price.
wakewop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,904
MT21 or D606.

D606 rear w/ MT21 front has been my favorite combo on big dualsported XR's (XR628, XR650R)
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
Tap into America

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop View Post
I fought the same thing for a while. After many tires, uneasy feeling on dirt and/or street I purchased a set of rims and mounted Good street tires on them. Same sprocket size. Would swap wheel sets when I wanted to hit the dirt and visa versa. In the long run, it was a lot cheaper and the riding was much better. Great tires for dirt, great tires for street. Used rims are not hard to find at a great price.

Exactly what I did for my CRF450X - two sets of wheels which I can swap in 15 minutes
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I have a vulcanduro on the front of my 650r right now and hate it for the same reason, I just put a Pirrelli XCMH on my KTM last weekend and really haven't had it on the roadyet but it is a true knobby with a DOT rating, I does seem confidence inspiring on the trail.

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
So, I have a IRC Volcanduro and I love it in the dirt.

However I'd trust a Dunlop MX51 to hold a line better on asphalt. I've tried dialing the air pressure in, no difference, just starts to let go at different times. Feels like I'm on hard packed snow.
Do you have the VE-35 front? If so the knobbies are very tall and so soft you are feeling them lay over in corners or under braking. A VE-39 will feel like the 35 in dirt, but would work much better for some pavement riding. Just make sure you break the tire in. it will be slick for the first 100 miles or so till it is scrubbed in.

Look for any intermediate-hard terrain front knobbie, with a standard waffle pattern with knobs that are not too tall, it will be the best compromise between "ridable" (relative term) on the pavement and still being decent on the dirt. You will never be pushing hard in the asphalt corners though with a knobbie, and likewise you will never be pushing hard with a DOT tire in the dirt............

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride

COXR650L screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 09:07 AM
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
I use the Scorpion Rally, works decent everywhere.
Wentjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Kenda Triple, worth the money. Way better on the street than I ever expected, lasted 5k miles on my 650 without flipping it around, and was exactly what the bike needed for offroad Colorado.

Please whatever you do, do not go with a D606 up front. 5 minutes on Google should be enough to end considering that as an option.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Geolander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
A D606 is never an option. The CRF450X with a 140 pound rider just isn't enough weight to warrant a tire that stiff.

I went with a MT21 for the front, and a MT43 out back.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,713
Dont know how it would work on a Honda 450X but I run a Bridgstone ED03 on the front of my KLR and a Kenda K270 on the rear.

There is no such thing as a perfect tire for street and dirt
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,347
The Pirelli Scorpion Pro AKA MT83 was always a great front tire for me both on and off road. Air it up to around 21psi for the street and down to about 12 or 14 off road.

I haven't found another tire that I liked as much as that one. I've ran it on bikes as big as a DRZ400S and on a KX250.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote