User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
Claypgn
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Laugh

This is Beretta390's wife here, I just want to thank you all for the support in my quest to let my "inner BMW" out. I am 20 years younger than my husband, I still work (more than full time) but, I must admit his social security check is sometimes bigger than my checks. My 48th birthday is in August and I am hoping to find a matte black F700GS with a bow attached to it in my driveway, however, I am not holding my breath. I admit that I have never ridden this bike but, I know it would fit me perfectly.

Thanks again for your support. I like calling him from work to see if he has read your posts!
Claypgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #32
maydaymike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
I took my wife to the local Yami/Honda/Kawi/Zuki dealer under the guise of buying fork oil (I actually did need and buy it) and then suggested we go check out bikes.

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Triumph dealer... fork oil... Mrs. Maydaymike rides home on a new Bonneville! Future fork oil purchases will be made from Amazon. Or maybe if I buy fork oil for her bike, a new Street Triple R will follow us home...

The thing is Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
maydaymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #33
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
OK, I'm slightly pissed off! My wife, the bitch, whom I love very much wants a god damned F700 GS in matt black. She currently has a very nice '08 Versys.... Her birthday is coming up, but she's been waffling around about (maybe some farkles for my Versys, maybe this, maybe that.....she drives me f'ing nuts with this shit!) God damnit!. She rides her current bike to work maybe twice a week. (says she'll ride the new one every day..my ass) I should never have let her ride. She stole my '11 Kawi Super Sherpa, forcing me to buy a used DRZ 400 when we were traveling full time. Now that we're settled down, here we go again! I might add that she's dropped the Versys 3 times doing dumb shit at virtually 0 mph: (front brake in a parking lot, holding the clutch in as I've taught her in traffic at a light, but let go of the clutch to "wave" at another biker who waved at her, and another time on the highway (stuck in traffic on I-17 due to an accident) said she put her foot down and stepped on a pebble, down she went. Is this a woman who deserves a new bike??? I know a lot lot of you are going to say (Damn, wish my wife rode or some such stuff) but really? By the way, I ride a 25 yo BMW K75; if anyone should be looking for a new bike, it's me! I'm at my wit's end! What's your advice?
To be quite frank, you arguments bring up mostly superficial bullshit, bikes get dropped, sometimes for silly reasons, to insinuate that this somehow demonstrates that someone does not deserve a new bike is non sequitur. She stole my Sherpa and I had to upgrade, waaaahhhh! Although, I will concede that if you are on an old unreliable bike that is incapable of making the types of trips you two want to take, that your bike situation may take precedence.

I'd suggest a more pragmatic approach.

Can you afford it, as a family? I'm not talking about making the payments. I mean do you have three months living expenses in the bank? Are you saving for retirement? Are all your credit cards paid? Are you saving for retirement? Can you afford two bikes? If so, get two, the ideal bike for each of you. Personally, I don't think new ($10,000) motorbikes are good birthday gifts on most normal family incomes. A new $400 riding jacket? Sure.

You also may want to pin down, what it is about her Versys that she feels it won't do. Seat too high? 17" wheel is to hard to control off pavement? or she doesn't like the color? Maybe you can make the Versys work for her until, you get a more reliable bike and then upgrade?
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #34
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in NB View Post
Happy wife, Happy life
No wife. Happier life!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #35
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypgn View Post
This is Beretta390's wife here, I just want to thank you all for the support in my quest to let my "inner BMW" out. I am 20 years younger than my husband, I still work (more than full time) but, I must admit his social security check is sometimes bigger than my checks. My 48th birthday is in August and I am hoping to find a matte black F700GS with a bow attached to it in my driveway, however, I am not holding my breath. I admit that I have never ridden this bike but, I know it would fit me perfectly.

Thanks again for your support. I like calling him from work to see if he has read your posts!

Good for you, but do not forget to reward your husband's generosity, or lack of it, in kind!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #36
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,074
Quote:

I like the way you roll.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #37
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,021
Let her change for a new bike and drop her for a younger chick.

2 in 1 problems solved.

P.S. I remember her story about droping the clutch (and the bike) by waving with her left hand just as a police car was passing by. Funny it was.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #38
Claypgn
n00b

Beretta390's wife again. Just so we get the record straight, I'm not your typical girlie, girl. I am an ASE Master Certified Automobile Tech, I am the Wholesale Manager at an O'Reilly Auto Parts store, I spend my Saturday's off at a body shop learning body work. I work hard and like to play hard. I am 5'7" tall and strong. Yes, I am still new to riding, but learning on dirt in Moab, UT and mountain biking has made me a better rider and a quick learner. I don't want to single track ride but, I do want to ride forest roads and pavement. If I don't get an F700 for my birthday, no biggie. Nothing wrong with the Versys, I just want one.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #39
higear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
No wife. Happier life!
Seriously! You guys with women in your lives sure are pitiful!
higear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #40
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,884
depends on how many miles she put on the versys
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #41
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
Personally, I don't think new ($10,000) motorbikes are good birthday gifts on most normal family incomes.
There you go 'don't thinking' again

Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #42
Yamarocket630
Honey Badger

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
At least she knows the value of a real motorcycle. I'd say she is pretty smart. What is your complaint? That she doesn't ride it enough? She works and earns, right?

No real complaint, she is a good wife and mother, and she works a hell of a lot harder than I do. If she wants a bike to ride occasionally, far be it from me to say no.
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #43
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Far be it

Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #44
Claypgn
n00b

Beretta390's wife again. Just thought I'd give you all a little info about me. I have worked in the automotive repair industry for 28 years, i am an ASE Master Certified Automobile Tech and currently am the Wholesale Manager at an O'Reilly Auto Parts store, I volunteer my Saturday's at one of my customers body shop so that i can learn about that end of the business (and help him out). I am 5' 7" tall, lean and strong. I am not your typical "girlie, girl". i admit to being a fairly new rider but, i learned to ride on dirt (spent 7 months in Moab, UT) and i ride a mountain bike (the way they are ment to be ridden). I am not interested in single track or bonzi riding; however, i would like to have a bike that can run forest service and back roads and the power to get me to those places. I probably will not get an F700GS for my birthday - my husband does not see the point in buying new and there seems to be no used ones around. That's okay, but i did not want to sound like a nagging wife that just wants one. I work and play hard.

Thanks for your support.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #45
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,794
Quote:
Beretta390's wife again. Just thought I'd give you all a little info about me. I have worked in the automotive repair industry for 28 years, i am an ASE Master Certified Automobile Tech and currently am the Wholesale Manager at an O'Reilly Auto Parts store, I volunteer my Saturday's at one of my customers body shop so that i can learn about that end of the business (and help him out). I am 5' 7" tall, lean and strong. I am not your typical "girlie, girl". i admit to being a fairly new rider but, i learned to ride on dirt (spent 7 months in Moab, UT) and i ride a mountain bike (the way they are ment to be ridden). I am not interested in single track or bonzi riding; however, i would like to have a bike that can run forest service and back roads and the power to get me to those places. I probably will not get an F700GS for my birthday - my husband does not see the point in buying new and there seems to be no used ones around. That's okay, but i did not want to sound like a nagging wife that just wants one. I work and play hard.

Thanks for your support.
I applaud your positive attitude! You obviously understand internet bad asses and tough guys!

You are probably a better wrench than 90% of us too!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote