User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Remove coating from underside of hood?

This has been bothering me for years, and when I had the 'stang re-painted back in 1991 I should have had them remove the coating on the underside of the hood. My grandfather purchased the Mustang new in 1964. I'm not sure if he had the hood undercoated or if it was some dealer "option" or what. But it's been painted/coated with a rough, black stuff.

I'd like to see if there was a way of removing it without damaging the finish on the top. I took it to a local auto body shop that was recommended and they said they couldn't without heat-damaging the top (from grinding/sanding heat, I suspect).

You can see some has already flaked off in the middle and there IS a tiny bit of surface rust there.

Is there a roll/brush on paint remover I can do myself? I don't mind some elbow-grease. Then I could take it to a shop to have them prime/shoot the bottom the body color.

Ideas/thoughts?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,518
Maybe try a little Goof-Off where it's already flaking to see if it'll emulsify. If that works, you might be able to use a thick-nap roller dampened with Goof-Off to lift off the black stuff without sanding. Put a tarp down under the hood to catch any drips or spray.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,208
Aircraft paint stripper will do it.

Mask the painted part of the hood to protect it -- the toughest part will be the edge of the black coating where the paint begins . . . .that's gonna be a bitch no matter what method you use.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,235
I'd use a gel type of paint stripper on that.

Actually, I wouldn't. I'd leave it like how Grandad paid for it, possibly touching up the flaking parts with a similar bedliner but the coating is worth better as a story than any other type of coating you can put there.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,235
Also, it would be easy to do long as you paid attention to details. Remove the hood and put it upside down on some pads, and use plenty of masking tape on the borders and a couple of inches on the paint. Start at the center and move towards the outer edge, that way you don't have to lean over stuff you've done. It will be easy, but time consuming.

But again, I'd leave it as is.....
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
"out of sight, out of mind"
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Thanks for the replies. I'm honestly on the fence about it all. I DO like the "originality" of what my grandfather did and this car has more sentimental value than an off-the-assembly-line perfection.

Like when one of the plastic/chrome door armrests broke, my grandfather (who was an amazing woodworker) just whipped up an exact duplicate out of California redwood.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,188
Soda or dry ice blasting will take the coating off with no heat build up to damage the paint work.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i would get a can of rust converter and spray it then top it off with a can of undercoating.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote