Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #91
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Great stuff, what a gorgeous place to ride.
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #92
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Day 12, Canmore, Alberta to Bozeman, MT (672 miles, this may be off, the Montana shows this as a second track from July 2nd??) The track is in RED. The Montana was off that day (date wise, at least) and my little point and shoot stopped for the day. I took lots of pics in the second half of this trip (avg 40 per day) but the camera shows six for July 2nd. I wonder if it was the heat that made the camera and the Montana both have issues..

Maybe I stayed too long at the Grizzly Paw, but I started off in the wrong direction that morning. I had glanced at the maps as I plugged in the route the night before. I thought I'd pick up the road that would take me down to Bozeman if I headed south out of Canmore. I pulled over after a few miles, and had to review maps and GPS. I finally figured out I'd have to back track a but to catch 93 and head down to Radian Hot Springs. It was a nice ride down there. I had breakfast there, and took another look at the maps and GPS, just to confirm I was headed for the border and Bozeman.

Not sure if it was me, the camera, or the scenery, but this pic looks funny..

This one too. Maybe there was shift in magnetic poles of the earth on July 3rd..

I just rolled south to the border, crossed without incident, except there was a pretty long line of cars and trucks waiting. (for the middle of nowhere.)

I, unfortunately, found the road to straighten out a bit, and came down out of the mountains..
I went through Kalispell, then to the east around Flathead Lake. I took two lanes until I jumped on I-90 just north of Deer Lodge. Then 90 over to Bozeman. It was very hot and windy. The last half of the day wasn't all that fun. When I got to Bozeman, I decided to let the Marriott folks give me the free room they owed me, for being such a great customer. The Residence Inn seemed like pure luxury. Dinner and breakfast on the house. Got laundry done, and turned the A/C down low.. Planned the next day (4th) I decided to run Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph. Even though I've been through there twice before..
The forecast was for heat tomorrow. My goal was to camp in the Bighorns. I knew they would have cool temps at altitude.. (If I could just find a campsite on the 4th of July..)
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #93
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Man, you missed a great stay in Banff at the Banff Springs Hotel. Awesome awesome place. even if you're a tightwad!

studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #94
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
Man, you missed a great stay in Banff at the Banff Springs Hotel. Awesome awesome place. even if you're a tightwad!

I should have pulled in. Traffic was crazy. People everywhere. From what I was coming from, it was overload. I need to take my wife there. I've heard many good things about it.
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #95
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
damn right. that and chateau lake louise. not far away, and maybe prettier?
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #96
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 13, Bozeman, MT to The Bighorn Mtns, WY. (493 mi.. light day!) That includes a little backtrack. Easy to spot on the map Track in RED.

I left the hotel in Bozeman after loading up on the breakfast buffet.
I took I-90 over to Columbus, then cut through 2 lanes over to Red Lodge. As I got near town, it appeared something was going on.

It's a parade, I'm right in the middle of it.. Actually I must have been the last one through before the actual parade started..

I went through town, then followed the GPS over towards Bear Creek. It wasn't until I saw this.. That I knew I was on the wrong road..

Although I do love this sign, and it brings back a lot of great memories. I knew something was up.. So I turned back to Bear Creek and stopped for some world famous banana cream pie..
Actually, it was pretty good pie.. I fixed the GPS too.. It was still following instructions for the shortest route to Cody. I just had other plans.. I wasn't going to be this close to Beartooth Pass, and not ride it.

I took the (above) pic though, because I couldn't help but notice the fun roads across the way.. I wonder if those go through? I don't think I'd want to tackle them alone, on a fully loaded pig, but they look very interesting..
She's still covered with a few thousand Alaska mosquitoes, but getting it done.. Bald rear tire and all. A bit squirrelly on some of the switchbacks though..

I do like this bike.. It's taken everything from Interstate to deep powder on the Campbell, and mud on the Dalton, from creeping to running at 90 for hours, fully loaded, for 8,000+ miles in 13 days. The only hick-up was a missed shift.. (that did scare the crap out of me..)
I came on across Beartooth and caught Chief Joseph towards Cody. Storms were threatening.. With the heat, I guess it was to be expected.

Chief Joseph is perhaps more scenic, and just as fun as Beartooth. Just beautiful country out there.. Who doesn't like seeing this on a GPS?

Actual road..

It's just 8,000 feet, but it's 30 degrees cooler..

The storms were still chasing me..

I better head on to Cody, and the Bighorns.. I've been through Cody a dozen times, so I got gas, made a phone call, and kept moving.
92 degrees out on the flatlands between the mountain ranges though..

But the Bighorns weren't that far off, neither was the rain..

As soon as I started gaining elevation, the temps dropped, the views improved..

I started hunting for a place to camp.. 4th of July, not that many campgrounds. The flowers were blooming, gave me a bit of a distraction.

Here's a shot from the end of the day. I tried a few campgrounds, they were all full. So, I know if it's a National Forest, you can camp anywhere.. It's just a matter of finding a spot.

I checked out this spot, but it was a dirt road vs gravel, it was steeper than the pic shows. I was thinking I wouldn't be able to get back out in the morning, if it was slick mud. (no rear tire either.)

I settled on this spot. I'm sure the elk hunters use it in the fall. It had a fire pit, and a good spot for a tent. (plus, free parking.)

A kitchen area.

With a refrigerator!

= Happy Camper

I had the bear spray out again, because there wasn't anybody around for quite a ways. Nobody that would have heard me screaming like a little girl, if a bear would have come around. I did look around the campsite, and determined that, judging from the scat/droppings/poop.. I had more to fear from a cattle stampede, than a bear..
The rain did finally hit, but it was music to sleep by. The temp ended up in the 40s.. Perfect.. I slept well, but had to pack up wet stuff in the morning.
Tomorrow, it's over to Sturgis, for a new tire. I still had over a thousand miles to go. Then down to Nebraska to visit my Uncle..
This was my last night camping It was hard to beat..

MizzouRider screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 06:19 AM
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #97
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Atta Boy Jeff ! Livin Large

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #98
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Atta Boy Jeff ! Livin Large
Thanks Don. It's fun to go back through the pics. Jogs a few memories.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #99
pebmr
Retired Marathoner

Oddometer: 57
Happy Bighorn Camper

Enjoying your report! I understand your happy camping on your last night-I spent July 5 up the first dual track out of Buffalo in a big beautiful valley by myself-same weather, chair, bike cover, similar tent-it was also my favorite spot on the trip-gotta love our public lands!

pebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #100
toondebt11
ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer: 333
With a refrigerator!

That looks like MY Kind of a Night!!!
I B A # 42258
toondebt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #101
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 499
Liking the camping spot

Great report Jeff. Makes me look forward to our upcoming week in the wilderness camping off the bikes even more
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #102
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebmr View Post
Enjoying your report! I understand your happy camping on your last night-I spent July 5 up the first dual track out of Buffalo in a big beautiful valley by myself-same weather, chair, bike cover, similar tent-it was also my favorite spot on the trip-gotta love our public lands!

Wow, nice choices on camping stuff! Ha
I took the family on a two week camping trip about 20 years ago. (In a pop-up) it was so cold in the mornings I had to build a fire to get everyone out of the trailer. This was a August trip. Moose in camp, caught lots of trout (Tongue River) just a great time. All good memories from the Bighorns.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #103
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBill View Post
Great report Jeff. Makes me look forward to our upcoming week in the wilderness camping off the bikes even more
It's a blast. There's a million FS campgrounds in Co. Almost all have water. Besides firewood, what more could you ask for.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #104
YoungHoladay
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great write up Pops. Hopefully I will get to join you next time
YoungHoladay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #105
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungHoladay View Post
Great write up Pops. Hopefully I will get to join you next time
That'd be too cool. To get to do something like this someday with you. (Son). Hopefully you'd be able to put up with me. Ha!!