Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
JSFranki OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Please Learn from My Mistake (A bit long winded)

On a recent trip, I was riding on a four lane divided highway in a fairly heavy rainstorm. The terrain was generally flat, and traffic was light that morning. I felt comfortable with my pace, and would occassionally use the passing lane to get by vehicles that were going slower than me.

Parts of the highway were in the process of being repaved. The right lane was getting a new top layer of asphalt first, and the passing lane would get its layer next. So there were sections of road where the right lane was higher than the passing lane.

As I was passing a slower vehicle there was a bump in the road as I transitioned from a freshly paved portion of the passing lane to a soon to be paved section of the passing lane. Of course the right lane has already been paved, and is now some inches higher than the passing lane. So I am stuck in the passing lane, and very reluctant to try changing lanes because of the height difference between the lanes.

Note to self: water goes downhill. With the combination of more water flowing from the right lane, plus the rain itself, plus a dip in the road, I hit a puddle. No let's call it a pool of water, that feels like I have hit a brick wall. The bike slows about 20 mph in an instant, and water splashes at least knee high, but probably if you were an observer behind me, the splash would have been higher than the top of my helmet. Fortunately, the bike is upright, I am still on it, and we are moving forward. Before I have completed processing what just happened, there is a second pool of water that I ride through almost immediately. Same effect, I lose speed, big splash but stay upright.

I feel like I was lucky that day. I hope this helps you to avoid a similar situation.

Be safe.
JSFranki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Road work should have you decreasing your speed. Add rain and you should be backing off even more. Good job staying upright and glad no one was right behind you.

When the road conditions suck it's OK to "fall in line" sometimes. Better yet if raining.... pull off and get a slice of pie!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Yes, I think I would have stayed behind something slow.
That way you can read the puddles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
Road work should have you decreasing your speed. Add rain and you should be backing off even more. Good job staying upright and glad no one was right behind you.

When the road conditions suck it's OK to "fall in line" sometimes. Better yet if raining.... pull off and get a slice of pie!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Moses

I'd of been letting somebody play God for me, so to speak, partin' the waters.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Herkmech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Thanks for the heads up on your experience. As I am sure you have checked this box in your riding experience resume you do not need the Capt Hindsight BS treatment. I'm sure many will feel the need to give it to you anyway
Herkmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
There's not a problem that a slice of pie is not the correct answer to...
(said the 250 lb man)
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Taking notes. Safe travels.
rootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 281
The Rules for Face Plant Threads, Please Read Before Posting and a WARNING
Please keep this forum about actual get-offs, either your own or someone you know. No gore, near misses, no Youtube or other video links that aren't related to an ADVRider member or friend, no random news articles of accidents unless the article is about a member or acquaintance of a member. Thanks for your help in keeping this forum clean of the above items.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
flying_junk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
The Rules for Face Plant Threads, Please Read Before Posting and a WARNING
Please keep this forum about actual get-offs, either your own or someone you know. No gore, near misses, no Youtube or other video links that aren't related to an ADVRider member or friend, no random news articles of accidents unless the article is about a member or acquaintance of a member. Thanks for your help in keeping this forum clean of the above items.
I hear what you are saying but based on what I read, he did not have a get off. He had a close call, and explains how to potentially avoid something similar. It's kind of like talking about the perfect line through the rain in a construction zone.
flying_junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
flying_junk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_junk View Post
I hear what you are saying but based on what I read, he did not have a get off. He had a close call, and explains how to potentially avoid something similar. It's kind of like talking about the perfect line through the rain in a construction zone.
Oh wait... you probably moved it...
flying_junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsy View Post
Taking notes. Safe travels.
^^^^this.. Thanks

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Oddometer: 2,467
beware the puddles as they can be nearly bottomless potholes that are holding water..... enough to momentarily trap a tire and toss one off the seat... no good can come from it.....

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Hi all ! This one happened on a '75 or '76 DT175 (my 1st dualsport / enduro bike) . I was riding around a large park with many baseball and softball diamonds , it was almost dark and I was heading home . I ran into one of those large cables that helps hold up large lighting poles . Luckily the cable hit the bike right below the triple tree , threw me over the bars , headfirst into the ground . I was going about 20 -25 mph . My right shin hit the crossbar on the handlebar and bent it out an inch or so . My whole lower leg was black and blue , I lost a week of work . I was very lucky .
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
I've done this a few times since we get monsoon-like rains here in south Florida (especially during tropical storms), and since I used to commute on the main highway for a total of 80 miles a day (for work, alone, 90% of it highway miles).

While I didn't mean to do it - the best thing I did was to have bought a heavier cruiser with a 21" front wheel. I can't say I didn't slow down when I hit unexpected lakes, or rivers crossing the highway perpendicular to me, but I am sure that my front tire / wheel and the weight made it all the more bearable.

In moderate rains I was always the fastest thing on the highways because my tires cut right through the standing water where cars would surely hydroplane if they even got close to my speed (we're talking differences in speed of traffic - even on open roads - doing 35 MPH or under when I could do 70, or them at 5 when I could do 25... and for them just to slow down to 65 I could still do 85).

Not sure if my DR650's lighter weight would allow the front 21" to cut through as well (I've ridden it in moderate rains plenty of times, but not in a tropical storm at speed on the highway yet), but I think the OP has learned why 21" front wheels are so advantageous to real travelers who don't stop for weather conditions.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
JSFranki OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Please Learn from My Mistake

Thanks for the advice, all. I do need to adjust my "Press on Regardless" riding style, when conditions warrant. Does thinking about pie while riding qualify as distracted driving?

Not sure how much wheel/tire size contributed to the lucky outcome. My '97 R1100RT has a 17" rim.

Safe travels!
JSFranki is offline   Reply With Quote