ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Makwa OP
Adventurer
 
Makwa's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Central Michigan
Oddometer: 72
No brakes after a long sit?

The EXC 450 I just picked up doesn't have any brakes. I argue that bikes like this do not necessarily NEED brakes, but alas, I have been outvoted and need to fix them.

The bike has sat unused for 2 years. They worked when it was parked.

I am going to try to bleed them now that I have the DOT 5.1 fluid. (Glad in my older age I have learned to read instructions... ie, manuals)

Is this a common issue?

Anything I should be on the lookout for or should do?
__________________
'05 450 EXC - Current
'01 RM 125 - Retired
'89 CR 125 - Retired
Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 7,482
Air in the line all gathers at the uppermost point in the loop on the KTM EXCs, try back bleeding the caliper with the cover off the master to start.
(knee against caliper, slowly press till it bottoms out the pistons)
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 10,301
It is a very common issue. My MXC tends to sit for long periods between rides so I used to have to bleed the brakes before every ride. After researching it a bit I learned using a small bungee cord to hold a bit of pressure on the lever prevents it. No problems since I started doing that. Well, except I forget about the cord sometimes and can't figure out why I can't push it out of the garage.
__________________
Been to Ajay's Starbucks and I don't even own a BMW.....
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
It is a very common issue ... After researching it a bit I learned using a small bungee cord to hold a bit of pressure on the lever prevents it.
+1.

If it's chronic, ziptie lever to bars (i.e lever fully applied). Overnight usually fixes it.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic
 
Young-Gun's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Brisbane, AUS
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
+1.

If it's chronic, ziptie lever to bars (i.e lever fully applied). Overnight usually fixes it.
So it will actually fix it or is this process only useful for prevention?
__________________
Ryan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
KTM 950 'S' - Loving it!
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,522
Worked For Me!

I guess that depends on your definition of 'fix'. My GG went from no brakes to good brakes overnight with the bugee trick. If the problem returns over time (weeks or months not days) was it 'fixed'? It certainly makes the brakes work though, something I have not always been able to do by bleeding.


Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic
 
Young-Gun's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Brisbane, AUS
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I guess that depends on your definition of 'fix'. My GG went from no brakes to good brakes overnight with the bugee trick. If the problem returns over time (weeks or months not days) was it 'fixed'? It certainly makes the brakes work though, something I have not always been able to do by bleeding.


Bruce
Excellent! So tonight... I go home, squeeze the lever as far as I can against the grip, secure in place for a day or two and I should be good to go? Worth a try! Will report back
__________________
Ryan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
KTM 950 'S' - Loving it!
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 10,301
If not, the back bleeding per the first post should do the trick. Take the cover off the master cylinder, turn the bars to get it up to the highest point you can and as level as you can, press the piston back into the caliper and then pump the brake back up at the lever keeping an eye on the fluid level. Then do the bungee trick.
__________________
Been to Ajay's Starbucks and I don't even own a BMW.....
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
If not, the back bleeding per the first post should do the trick. Take the cover off the master cylinder, turn the bars to get it up to the highest point you can and as level as you can, press the piston back into the caliper and then pump the brake back up at the lever keeping an eye on the fluid level. Then do the bungee trick.
I thought there was a plan-b if the bungee didn't work before trying bleeding (plan-c). Removing the master cyl off the bike and hanging the whole assembly from garage rafter. Then retry the bungee. Something about the way the hose routes when on the bike causes air to get trapped. I forget the details (it's on ktmtalk) as I've never needed to do it, the zip-tie around the lever/grip has always worked 100% for me on the bike.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Navin
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 7,482
Brembo mastered bikes should be parked with the bars to full left steering lock too.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Makwa OP
Adventurer
 
Makwa's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Central Michigan
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Air in the line all gathers at the uppermost point in the loop on the KTM EXCs, try back bleeding the caliper with the cover off the master to start.
(knee against caliper, slowly press till it bottoms out the pistons)
This.... worked like a champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
It is a very common issue. My MXC tends to sit for long periods between rides so I used to have to bleed the brakes before every ride. After researching it a bit I learned using a small bungee cord to hold a bit of pressure on the lever prevents it. No problems since I started doing that. Well, except I forget about the cord sometimes and can't figure out why I can't push it out of the garage.
I will definately do this. Hopefully it will not sit long anymore but one can never tell.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas!
__________________
'05 450 EXC - Current
'01 RM 125 - Retired
'89 CR 125 - Retired
Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Navin
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 7,482
Bravo. I usually start the day with a good back bleed or two on both front and rear calipers on my Brembo braked bikes. Good to do right before starting them up.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic
 
Young-Gun's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Brisbane, AUS
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-gun-640 View Post
Excellent! So tonight... I go home, squeeze the lever as far as I can against the grip, secure in place for a day or two and I should be good to go? Worth a try! Will report back
It worked!!!!
__________________
Ryan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
KTM 950 'S' - Loving it!
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014